NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

C5 TRANSMISSION WANTED

cjayc5

I COOKED MY TRANS IN THE AZ HEAT TEMP WENT UP TO 248 :banghead . PLEASE HELP. JUST GOT TO AZ. :cuss

408 390 1464 CALI CELL #

1998 4L60E :flag

I COOKED MY TRANS IN THE AZ HEAT TEMP WENT UP TO 248 :banghead . PLEASE HELP. JUST GOT TO AZ. :cuss

408 390 1464 CALI CELL #

1998 4L60E :flag

trans temp went up to 248? do you have a temp gauge for your tranny?

if your coolant temp got that hot - it shouldn't have cooked your tranny - my old 85 vette had seen temps as high as 260 - but that's because i dropped a waterpump.

my 92 had seen temps as high as 248 also - but no cooked tranny - perhaps you should go see joe at classic gold (do a search for sloryde here on this forum to send him an email!) that just sounds too strange that high water temps cooked your tranny!

I didn't know that C5s had a tranny temp gauge. I have an oil temp gauge in mine and if mine was 250 the water temp would be rather high as well I would think. At 185 water temp, my oil temp is well under 250 around 200ish. Just my .02. :rolleyes

You obviously don't play with your DIC enough Chris :D

It's one of the readouts. I think they're oil pressure, oil temp, transmission fluid temp, coolant temp, etc.

THANKS FOR THE REFERENCE I'LL CHECK IT OUT. THE WATER TEMP WAS AROUND 200 WHEN THE TRANS SLIPPED. THE FLUID IN THE TRANS READ 248 ON THE GAUGE. :banghead

HOW IS PHOENIX TRANSMISSION?. BEEN HERE FOR 2 MOMTHS ONLY. :angry

WHAT'S NORMAL TRANS TEMP FOR THE SUMMER MONTHS IN TRAFFIC? IS EXTRA COOLING REQUIRED IN AZ.

I NEED TO REBUILD FAST SO I CAN GO TO WORK! :bang

:flag CJ

How many Miles do you have on tranny...I've heard on the C5 about 70k+ miles the tranny goes.....

sorry for your luck on it.... :banghead:banghead ...look at this way now you can upgrade......

Guest XLR8TNC5
You obviously don't play with your DIC enough Chris :D

It's one of the readouts. I think they're oil pressure, oil temp, transmission fluid temp, coolant temp, etc.

:agree and Im a girl, Chris, I shouldn't know more about my C5 than you do.... UGH! lol.

Im sorry to hear that about your tranny there cj. I have a 1998 and I take my tranny work to Automatic Transmissions. tt: Paul.

I will see if I can find his card and I will post his number for you. He is VERY good with the C5 AT transmissions.

Tanya

You obviously don't play with your DIC enough Chris  :D 

It's one of the readouts.  I think they're oil pressure, oil temp, transmission fluid temp, coolant temp, etc.

:agree and Im a girl, Chris, I shouldn't know more about my C5 than you do.... UGH! lol.

Im sorry to hear that about your tranny there cj. I have a 1998 and I take my tranny work to Automatic Transmissions. tt: Paul.

I will see if I can find his card and I will post his number for you. He is VERY good with the C5 AT transmissions.

Tanya

well that's odd - is it hidden somewhere?

on mine i have coolant temp, oil pressure, oil temp, bettery voltage, and tire pressures

is there a special button "combination" i need to press? and if NOT - then you all better go check your own DICs

I wonder if it's just on the A/T models. You've got the MN6, right? Tanya and I have the A4. Just a guess!

I wonder if it's just on the A/T models. You've got the MN6, right? Tanya and I have the A4. Just a guess!

that could very well be - perhaps your A4s have the tranny temp and the MN6 has the oil temp?

Contact Merle at Exotic Muscle. They just rebuild one I purchased from Phoenix Reman that failed after 500 miles. EM did a fantastic job.

I wonder if it's just on the A/T models.  You've got the MN6, right?  Tanya and I have the A4.  Just a guess!

that could very well be - perhaps your A4s have the tranny temp and the MN6 has the oil temp?

The A4 has oil temp too. :yesnod

Auto's only.

Without going into the fine details of how a transmission works, automatics require friction (internal to the tranny) for the gears to engage. High heat is, of course, bad for that. Manual transmissions directly mesh the gears together and the only friction you have to worry about is in the clutch.

"Contact Merle at Exotic Muscle" THANKS FOR THE INFO.

KEEP THEM COMING!

MY ENGINE TEMP WAS OK. YESTERDAY I FOUND OUT THAT ONE THE COOLING FAN IS NOT COMING ON.

IS ANYONE OUT HERE INSTALLED EXTRA COOLING FOR THE TRANNY?

120* MAKE ME NERVOUS COMING FROM CALI.

:banghead

CJ

Not to sidestep the original question, but are you sure that the only thing wrong was the tranny temp?

How were the other temps?

Guest chad@xtreme

We carry RPM Transmissions and Phoenix Reman Transmission. Please give us a call.

Chad

Only cure is 6 speed conversion, sorry, I'm not helping am I. :D

Guest chad@xtreme

We recommend a Xtreme Motorsports radiator with transmission cooler. I would also recommend a B&M Tanny Coolers.

Chad