regarding Radiator cleanout...

F22trainer

F22trainer

Thought I'd post these on a new thread while I take a break here...

I'm almost done now, but talk about a reason to overheat!!!! Of course the pic doesn't do it justice, as stuff literally started falling out of the radiator as I cleaned, it was so packed in. First I took the shop vac to it - which was kind of like shooting flies with a canon, but then used the compressor to finish blowing everything clean, then vacuumed what was left. Right now I'm cleaning up all the parts and will be putting it back together in about an hour. :bang:bang:bang

post-3-1148011558.jpg

TOLD YOU SO! :D

I ended up running the hose through it in order to get it all out.

F22trainer

What a freakin' mess, that was! All done going to burp it in the AM - then I got the day off!

Those radiator screens are worth their weight in gold after doing that job a couple of times.

F22trainer
Those radiator screens are worth their weight in gold after doing that job a couple of times.

GOOD POINT!

I think I'll be picking one of those up too...

GOOD POINT!

I think I'll be picking one of those up too...

what radiator screens? do they make them for C5's too? :D

I am thinking of moding up a screen for the C3. I hate having to constantly clean crap out of there. The only time it has been a real problem is when we raced the road course at Firebird. After 10 min of hard running I pulled in and the temp was in the 220 range and climbing fast. I shut it down and found out that I had sucked a page of newspaper and it was between the a/c condensor and the rad. It blocked over 3/4 of the rad !!

That's what most C5 owners tend to use. It mostly keeps paper, plastic bags, and other larger items out of the radiator. But, things like pine needles, grass, and bird feathers are always getting through and still stick in the fins of the radiator (but still at a lesser extent than without the screen).

That item works well for the bottom sucker Vettes, but for the earlier models that got the air through a traditional grill opening a shaker screen works good.

Scroll to the bottom of the page for an example. We used to use them on dirt track cars with great success, and I imagine all the big race teams have stock in this product as well.

http://www.absoluteradiator.com/Accessories.asp

edit - The picture isn't very good. Shaker screens have accordian folds in them which causes the screen to "shake" as you drive down the road. This "shake/vibration" movement helps to just dump debris back on the ground after it stops it from going into your radiator.

F22trainer

I found some nice perf metal in the machine shop at work...and it's already been powder coated - silver, believe it or not. Think I'll go ahead and fab one myself - also have the snap on vinyl moulding to finish the edges!

F22trainer

UPDATE...

I have achieved a significant improvement after the cleaning. After burping and topping off, I set out with the A/C on high, air temperature 90º this morning. Jumped on the freeway right away and the temp's stayed rock solid at 190º. Then I went into "urban driving" mode thru N. Phx. Temp eventually climbed to 215º (from SR51 , up Cactus west, and north on Cave Creek rd.) when I stopped for some 104 octane at Union Hills Mobil. After sitting while I filled it, temp was 223º on start, but came down immediately all the way down to 208º(I think it even skipped a few #'s). Got back on the freeway and temps settled to 195º and stayed there. On the same 7 block trip as yesterday from 32nd st., it only climbed to 214º. A/C was on the entire time.

Joe's adding the 2nd cooling fan option tomorrow morning - I'm hoping to see a few more degrees improvement with that as well.

Headers and exhaust are on the way - YIPPEEEE! :party

'nother photo of the impacted debris...

post-3-1148064760_thumb.jpg

Guest Kens06
I stopped for some 104 octane at Union Hills Mobil.

Michael,

Did you find the Z06 chip that needs 104??

What is that stuff going a gal??

Stay with the 91 and save the $$ to pay for the headers/exhaust!!

Higher octane has a lower flash point. If you don't have the FI cycle/compression/timing combo to have a complete burn, you lose HP and MPG!!

Your A/F is probably pig rich and will get worse as you get the engine operating temps down!!

It's running out the tailpipe but keeping the converters cooler!

Just an observation Bro!!

Ken

BTW- Nice wake up call to the owners of the high speed Interstate street sweepers called Corvettes!!!!

Guest XLR8TNC5

:crazy There is so much room in there Michael, that is just crazy. :eek All your missing is the bird eggs! lol..

Glad to hear it is all cleaned out now though.

Tanya

F22trainer
I stopped for some 104 octane at Union Hills Mobil.

Michael,

Did you find the Z06 chip that needs 104??

What is that stuff going a gal??

Stay with the 91 and save the $$ to pay for the headers/exhaust!!

Higher octane has a lower flash point. If you don't have the FI cycle/compression/timing combo to have a complete burn, you lose HP and MPG!!

Your A/F is probably pig rich and will get worse as you get the engine operating temps down!!

It's running out the tailpipe but keeping the converters cooler!

Just an observation Bro!!

Ken

BTW- Nice wake up call to the owners of the high speed Interstate street sweepers called Corvettes!!!!

I like to put some of that good stuff in occaisionally...I got a spark knock that I can't get rid of excpt by:

A. During the cooler temps' it is at a minimum.

B. Running some 104 thru it.

I'd love to hear some ideas on how to cure it - I tried everything I knew when I bought it Ken. And I thought I knew how to cure spark knock...I just learned to live with it and back off when it's hot and I'm pushing down the pedal too hard. Kinda lame I know.

Yikes!! and I thought my C3 was a super vacuum cleaner...guess not. Only mine was always the dark blue plastic bag that you can't see unless you take a close look. Nice job.

As far as the pinging goes. You may have excessive carbon build up through a little more blowby if the motor has a few miles on it...maybe. You can try a cheap way and pour some top end cleaner down the intake and let it sit for an hour. It will clean everything in the top end and the pistons very nicely. I used the top end cleaner from Ford, yeah I know, ;) its a Ford product, but it works real nice. I think I may even have a can around to give you a part number if you like.

My C3 had the same issue with the pinging before I tore it all down and I found a lot of carbon in #8 and was acting like a glowplug. using a high octane gas would only help marginally and when it was cooler it didn't ping as much either. Good luck. Only a suggestion.

F22trainer
Yikes!! and I thought my C3 was a super vacuum cleaner...guess not. Only mine was always the dark blue plastic bag that you can't see unless you take a close look. Nice job.

As far as the pinging goes. You may have excessive carbon build up though a little more blowby if the motor has a few miles on it...maybe. You can try a cheap way and pour some top end cleaner down the intake and let it sit for an hour. It will clean everything in the top end and the pistons very nicely. I used the top end cleaner from Ford, yeah I know, ;) its a Ford product, but it works real nice. I think I may even have a can around to give you a part number if you like.

My C3 had the same issue with the pinging before I tore it all down and I found a lot of carbon in #8 and was acting like a glowplug. using a high octane gas would only help marginally and when it was cooler it didn't ping as much either. Good luck. Only a suggestion.

I think you may be on to something there...it's got 124K on it right now. Other than the ping on lead foot acceleration out of corners, most would never hear it. Knock sensor is working and all that, no trouble codes, etc. and uses no oil between changes That's about the only thing I haven't tried - how would I go about it on a TPI L-98? If it had a carb I'd be fine with it!

Thanks Buccaneer!

AND BTW 104 octane is only $5.99...just don't forget the pump is running when a hot lady comes by and starts asking you about your car...I usually only put $40 in it when it's down to reserve and it's time to make her run happier.

Mmmmmm...You have a point there on trying to get the cleaner into a TB that is horizontal. I have an upright TBI and works just fine or a carb as well. You might be able to pour the cleaner into something and force it down its throat. However, the idea is to pour the cleaner down the TB until the motor stalls out and then let it sit for a while. That would be hard to do in your case.

You could always ask at the dealer on how you can do that. You could always lie if you go to the Ford dealer and say its for your Ford truck... :lol or go to chevy house and ask them. :thumbs Again, this is only a suggestion and may not be the issue with your motor.

The reason mine had carbon in the top end was the clearance on the rings were too loose on the Ross race pistons I was using and oil wasn't getting wiped by the skirt and being pushed past the rings. I was :banghead my head trying to figure out WTF was going on with the pinging until I tore it down and found the issue as soon as the heads came off. I had to back the timing out to zero just to drive it when hot out. Normal is 6 BTDC now I have it at 10.