NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

considering a mod...

F22trainer

F22trainer

Thinking about getting headers and new exhaust - to help run cooler, as well as better sound. Like you Ken, I got 120+K on the motor. I think the cats are falling apart already, but the rest of the exhaust system is in good shape - maybe just headers???

Your comments, please...

I think that some of the early C4 guys are going with long tubes and true duals back to x-pipe and muffs. A little more money, but they swear by the sound and added power. You would need the two high flow cats like the LT-1s use.Now, aren't you sorry that you asked? :huh Robert :burnout

never heard of it running cooler though

get a hold of my neighbor - Zix - he has a SWEET sounding LT4 with corsa long tubes etc.

it sounds almost as cool as my C5 corsas!

F22trainer
If the cats ain't flowin thats gonna back everything up.

TURE THAT...had that hppen with my Nissan and Dodge PU. Actually shot a piece of the cat out the exhaust on the Nissan!

PAH-TOOOOOEY!!!! Saw this smoking chunk o' stuff bouce down the road when I gunned it, because it was really lugging and I thought might help to mash the pedal to the floor :leaving

92ZR1Wannabe

Hooker super comps , corsa catback , O and no cats at all. I think it sounded nice on the dyno :)

O and Quicktrip was right , alot of L98'rs switch from the 2-1-2 system to the true duel system.

Phoenix FRC

Kipp is selling a set of headers in the For sale section... look at post, > LT1/LT4 Hooker Shorties. Coated.

Sounds like they can be had easy and I'm sure you can get some help installing them.

Kipp is selling a set of headers in the For sale section... look at post, > LT1/LT4 Hooker Shorties. Coated.

Sounds like they can be had easy and I'm sure you can get some help installing them.

the only problem with that is that i don't think the ports on his heads will line up with those headers - F22 only has the L98 in his vette

Phoenix FRC

the only problem with that is that i don't think the ports on his heads will line up with those headers - F22 only has the L98 in his vette

Sorry, my bad. :ack Rookie mistake :crazy:lol

92ZR1Wannabe

Very true , the LT1 uses something called a D port . Header gaskets look pretty funky imho.

F22trainer

Thanx for the feedback - more is welcome...

I got pencil'd in with Merle for some headers and a Corsa exhaust - and it will be a true dual set-up. Can't wait to hear that!!! He says I should get another 30-35 HP and should run/breathe better.

Yea it's just a stock L-98 - won't do anything else to it until it gives out - then I'll do her up with a custom built job...unless I trade her in on a newer model, of course!

Hey new thread maybe - how hard was it to part with your fiirst 'vette???

Very true , the LT1 uses something called a D port . Header gaskets look pretty funky imho.

My ZZ4 engine also has the D shaped exhaust port. GM did testing with both regular headers and D port shaped headers and found no difference in power. You can use regular shaped headers on a D port head, as long as the bolt pattern is the same. LT1 - LT4 heads may have a different bolt pattern, I don't know.

Guest Kens06
I got pencil'd in with Merle for some headers and a Corsa exhaust - and it will be a true dual set-up. Can't wait to hear that!!! He says I should get another 30-35 HP and should run/breathe better.

I'd bet real $$ an L-98 given a colon blow, will not get you 30 rwhp!!

Intake mods and a chip burning guru along with the exhaust may be needed for 15-20!!

These cars don't 'relearn' like the new ones to 'get you by'!!

I'm in the same boat now Bro, so don't kill the messenger!!

Ken

F22trainer

Merle' bettin' 30 -35!!!

Right on the money Ken...$$$, being thte operative word!

I'll be real interested to see what kind of gain I get...I mostly just wanted to help it breathe better, run cooler and any HP gains is a bonus...plus I would enjoy a little meaner sound but nothing that makes it a hedache on road trips.