NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Any black out tails in the club?

Phoenix FRC

Phoenix FRC

I'm looking for tips for DIY.

I noticed West Coast Corvettes has the kit, are those glue on or what? I can't figure it out by just looking at the pic.

remember seeing a post on CF where the guy mixed up a ratio of paint and did his own and they really turned out nice.

Thanks for the tips.

Guest AZ Power & Sound
I'm looking for tips for DIY.

I noticed West Coast Corvettes has the kit, are those glue on or what? I can't figure it out by just looking at the pic.

remember seeing a post on CF where the guy mixed up a ratio of paint and did his own and they really turned out nice.

Thanks for the tips.

Steve did his with tint paint... might wanna PM him on here, or talk to him when you come in next :)

Steve did his with tint paint... might wanna PM him on here, or talk to him when you come in next :)

Steve=Uvettya

Mine are plastic or acrylic and have a little lip at the top that kinda hugs the lens, also some small tabs of adhesive backed velcro help keep 'em on at, er...extra-legal speeds. :devil

62360Top_after4.jpg

:burnout

Guest UVETTYA

Steve=Uvettya

Nope, he's talking about his mechanic, Steve.

However, I plan on doing that very thing to mine. I don't care for the acrylic ones and it's almost $500 for a set of painted lenses, so I bought 3 cans of Pactra RC294 "Window tint" paint for about $15 at Hobby Bench and when I get some time I'm going to paint mine. I've seen one other set (not a Vette) painted with this paint and it looked really good.

Steve

Phoenix FRC

Ok MOTV8, those look great.

Are they these?

28.jpg

at West Coast Corvettes?

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/pc-28-22-...ck-out-kit.aspx

$15.00 in paint sounds like its cheaper.

I guess I'd be a little concerned about them falling off.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try to find a hobby shop and see how it looks for option #1

If I get scared I'll drop 99 bones on the ones from WCC. Option #2

Thanks

I got mine from a forum vender on the vette forum. They snap in the front and screw in on the rear. You can remove them if you get stopped by a Leo. If you paint them and get stopped it costs a lot more for the factory originals.

Phoenix FRC
I got mine from a forum vender on the vette forum. They snap in the front and screw in on the rear. You can remove them if you get stopped by a Leo. If you paint them and get stopped it costs a lot more for the factory originals.

That sounds good, can you give me a link or something please....??????? :)

Thanks, :thumbs

I'd love to see some pics too. :yesnod

Thanks,

Thomas

Ok MOTV8, those look great.

Are they these?

28.jpg

at West Coast Corvettes?

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/pc-28-22-...ck-out-kit.aspx

$15.00 in paint sounds like its cheaper.

I guess I'd be a little concerned about them falling off.

Yep, thats them. The little tabs/notches on the front covers make them easier to get in. ( :eek Sorry again Mark!)

Mine haven't ever come off, at ANY speed. But they do collect a lot of dust, like the whole rear end does. Some Mr. Physics needs to explain to me why there is so much 'static-cling', for lack of a better term, with all the stuff that sticks to the back of my clean vette. I'm wearin' out California dusters over here. Anyway, here's a profile pic so you can sorta see the front covers in place:

post-3-1147718601.jpg

:banghead Oops, never mind. I just read that the California Duster in dry climates actually creates the static-dust problem. WTF? Who knew? :rolleyes

Good luck on the window tint, what percent ya' gonna get? With the blackouts it should look wicked. :cool

Phoenix FRC

I didn't know the califirnia duster story??? figures.... :ack

I like those, yours looks really good so I'll just drop 99 bones and get it done. ;)

Blackout yes, the rear window will be as dark as possible and I was thinking about 20% for the doors because it will look very blacked out but if I open one window the other side of the car will look 35% easy :D Just in case :thumbs

What I need to do is clean it up real good and take some pics, this sig pic is blurry at best, I need to step it up a little now that I'm a Vette owner... :lol

:agree

You do need to step it up. (look who's talking)

Check with WCC before you order those blackouts. I ordered some last year and they never showed, even though I paid for 2 day delivery. A couple of weeks went by and I finally called them. They were on backorder. This thread made me think about that order again, so I talked to them earlier today. Still on backorder. :toetap It would be nice if they kept their customers informed... or at least inform them in the first place if something is out of stock.

You might have better luck shopping somewhere else for those.

Guest XLR8TNC5

I gave Mark my blackouts and he has them on the Z. I bought mine from a CF member for $50 a while back. However, whenI first had blackouts, I had the velcro ones on and they flew off coming back from Showlow through 260 twisties. BUMMER! So, I would go with teh screw on type again for sure, but I have no idea who the original vendor is that sells those.

Have you tried looking on EBAY? I know a guy on there, Greg (GST20PSI) and he sells the whole kits for a very reasonable price. Tony aka SCRATCH has them on his Red Coupe.

Take care,

Tanya

However, whenI first had blackouts, I had the velcro ones on and they flew off coming back from Showlow through 260 twisties. BUMMER!

Tanya

:eek You must've been REALLY truckin' thru there...

I originally had trouble getting the adhesive-backed velcro to stick to the lens, but the right adhesive fixed that, these have hung on with repeated visits north of 120... :devil

Not that I was driving, occifer.

:burnout

hey - before you shell out the dough - have a look at THIS

at least if you don't like it, it looks like you can peel them off!

Phoenix FRC
hey - before you shell out the dough - have a look at THIS

at least if you don't like it, it looks like you can peel them off!

Actually, I was going to talk to the window tint guy and see what he had to say.

That does look ok, I want to black out the front marlers too.

I've done that on a couple of cars, and, frankly, I don't like it. From a distance it looks fine, but up close its just not the same. If you just want to get a better idea of what the car will look like blacked out, then it's a cheap way to test it out. Like Togo said, if you don't like it you can peel it off (with some sort of solvent and a lot of elbow grease).

Tom, we talked about this a little bit and, if you want to take this route, I'll help with what I can, but I really think you'll be happier with the traditional blackouts if that's the look you're going for.

Phoenix FRC

Looky what I found... in stock.

They just don't have the front turn signals/side markers thou- still, the price is better.

vt1036.jpg

Looky what I found... in stock.

They just don't have the front turn signals/side markers thou- still, the price is better.

vt1036.jpg

What? Now you want an incomplete, red Corvette with an obvious suspension problem?

Make up your mind, Tom.

I got mine from Greg on Ebay (GST20PSI) I had him custom make mine, a little lighter tint, they still look black, but I was trying to offset the tailgaters here (no extra charge). I only did the back and added a darker tint license plate cover also :thumbs