Carb Tune

dcoleaz

I had to have my 72 vert 350hp towed from Happy Valley and I-17 to my house. It appears the carb is so far out of tune it was flooding out. I could not get it started again. I opened the air cleaner and the carb was a wet, but not dripping. There also appeared to be a little oil in the little "bowl" (if that makes sense)

My question: Where can I go and get a good performace tune and carb adjust at a resonable rate ? Are there any Shade Tree mechinics willing to help a newbie out ?

I called Atnthem Motoros (perforance shop) the rate was $95 per hour. They usually work on cobras soo they are good with carbs and it "should" be about 3 hours.

Let me know your thoughts and any advice will be welcome !

Thanks again

Daren

ok, i called and Kevin said a rebuild would run 155 p&l and would be ready ATuesday if i brought it in on Monday...seems to be resonable. I will continue to research and post. Thanks !

D

wow - $200 for a REBUILD? before i'd spend that kind of coin on someone's handy work, i personally would buy a DEMON carb - have heard god things about them from Corz over on corvetteforum.com - he put one on his '69!

A simple air/fuel adj. with the screws on the carb. is not going to remedy a flooding problem. Those adj. screws only do idle mixture and they are for fine tuning only. If its flooding you probably have a low float. Floats dont just get low they usually get leaky and fill with gas and that lowers the float. If its a Holley you could have a bad power valve so the carb. is in enrichment mode all the time. Or (and this goes for any carb.) you could have an internal vacuum leak so it would be in enrichment mode all the time. Souds like you need a carb. rebuild or a replacement. I recommend throwing on an Edelbrock performer 600. These seem to work perfect on small block Chevy's right out of the box without hardely any adjusting. Holley's are more flexable as far as tuning for a modified performance engine but can be a handfull sometimes for the amateur. I like both (either/or) for my own cars but typacally recommend the Edelbrock. If you have a Quadrajet and want it rebuilt I recommend Rods Carbs on 19th. ave. & McDowell. Rod is really good w/quadrajets and has an old 442. Hope this helps...Joe

I agree to all of your suggestions. Well most. I don't have the time to do the rebuild myself...but a swap i could handle.

I am having "my mechanic" buddy check it out tonight. I will call Rod for an est also. THANKS THANKS !!

Rod said 165 p&l dropped off saturday it would be done Tuesday.....we will see.

Thanks again

D

Your call, but I have the Rochester that has made the rounds. I put it on the Olds and it ran fine (okay, it ran rich-but it did run). You are welcome to it if you have time to pick it up. We're in the PV mall area.

PM me if interested.

M~

Wow, thank you very much, i may take you up on the offer. If I could let you know tomorrow. if that would be ok.

thanks again

D

Gosh Darn this place is GREAT! This is what this Forum is all about! :thumbs

OK, i had a buddy check it out... 2 things one timing chain, 2 out of tune... i guess i was only half right. The carb is in good shape and doesn't need rebuilt only tuned.

The chain is completly seperated. He said he is willing to help me with the work, but would like to hear some of your advice, comments, even maybe 2 cents.

I really appreciate the time each of you took to reply, and look forward to a Pavillions or a cliinic someday.

thanks

D

Desertdawg

Timing chains are pretty easy to do, but you also need to pull the valve covers off and check the pushrods to see if any of them were bent...(piston hitting a valve).

Hope it's just the chain, after that it starts getting expensive...

Was it running when it died, or were you trying to start it?

I was exiting into a turn lane, maybe 15mph if that. I figure this will give me an excuse to do a littel updating. All depends on the $, and mostly time.

Desertdawg

Definitely check the pushrods then, at anything above an idle you could have pretty good valve to piston contact....

I have a spare Q-jet as well, it's just sitting after a fresh rebuild.

I just did my timing chain and gears, while you're at it, if the balancer is old, the ring may have slipped, might want to change it.

The timing cover bottom seal is actually part of the oil pan gasket, if you have some leaks may want to consider it as well.

Let me know if you need a hand.

hell, if it's just the timing chain, you might as well replace the cam - how long until it has to go through emissions?

back in the day, i had a timing chain grind all the nylon teeth of my gears - so while we had it apart, we took out the cam - turned out it has 2 lobes COMPLETELY ROUND - so needless to say, that was replaced along with a new set of lifters.

and while we had the intake off, we replaced that with a weiand 8004 (dual plane)

and since we had the carb off, we replaced it with a CARTER 625 - as the BRAND NEW holley 600 i bought wouldn't work RIGHT OUT OF THE DAMN BOX!

oh those were the days!

:drinkers