NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

New Exhaust

Buccaneer

Here are a few pics of my new exhaust on my 82. It seems like it has taken forever to finish this...because it has. :yesnod The dual exhaust crossmember is out of a 78 and had to be modified. I had to cut the member in half in four places next to the pipe passthrough holes, flip them around and reweld everything back together and beef it up. Now the holes line up straight with the headers. I angled the drivers cat out a bit to get it away from the shifter linkage. An X-pipe was included in the exhaust as well. I did 2.5" pipe all the way back. It sounds good too with my old Pro-Flo mufflers.

I'm going to grind down and clean up all the welds and have the pipes jet coated in the future, but for now, I'm just going to drive the damn thing after emissions testing next week. :burnout

exh11.jpg

exh12.jpg

exh13.jpg

exh14.jpg

exh15.jpg

exh16.jpg

exh17.jpg

exh18.jpg

:lol Can't wait to hear it! Are you coming to the photo shoot Sunday?

i bet it sounds good. Just watch out for parking garages... you will set the alrams off all over the place !

i bet it sounds good. Just watch out for parking garages... you will set the alrams off all over the place !

Yeah! But that's half the fun of having a loud exhaust :D

Here where I work we have a bunch of Lawyers, Bankers, etc so there are a ton of Escalades, Mercedes, Porches and Land Rovers. I sometimes circle my floor of the garage two or three times just to hear them keep going off :lol

F22trainer

Yeah! But that's half the fun of having a loud exhaust :D

Here where I work we have a bunch of Lawyers, Bankers, etc so there are a ton of Escalades, Mercedes, Porches and Land Rovers. I sometimes circle my floor of the garage two or three times just to hear them keep going off :lol

I get to do the same thing at the CP east garage - pretty funny, and mines not even that loud!

I set them off without parking garages. :rolf

When I drive the Vette into work, I will usually set off the car alarm on the vehicle besides me when I start up.

Yep...it sets off alarms which I think is funny. I went through a parking lot the other day and was only slightly off idle and was setting alarms off left and right...LOL! Its really not that loud, at least I don't think so.

I've been working on the car most of the day today and into the night of course. I don't think I'll have it emissioned in time for sunday, but maybe. Next week looks better for right now. I'm going out to Firebird tomorrow night with another CF vette guy from Chandler. he wants to race his vette, but it may not be ready. Anyway, I'm just watching...Anyone else want to come on out? I'm going around 7:00pm or so. :burnout

Guest Kens06

Nice Job Bro!!

I don't know where the noise factor is coming in??

Random Tech cats and stock mufflers is going to be pretty quiet in my book!

But you have to know that I like LOUD Corvettes!!

I'm either going LT's, no cats and stock mufflers. (Sloryde's recomendation)

My choice is LT's, RT's and muffler eliminators!! Sound great and looks so clean from the back!! I will have to get this oldie sniffed eventually!!

Come on out Sunday for the pic so we can hear the'Sweet Tunes'!!

Ken

So the shoot is on Sunday @ noon at the NEW Cards stadium?? I may go out there, but the car probbably won't be there...WAY UGLY right now. Half color half surfacer/primer and the interior is looking pretty bad still. I'd rather bring it out when at least the interior is put back in and primed in just one color...LOL!

Desertdawg

Hey Tom

Exhaust looks great, you did a nice job on it...

I didn't know you and Jim were going to firebird this week, I have been way under the weather and hardly on the puter at all... Sorry I won't make it, I'm already signed up for the autoX saturday morning and we have to get up pretty early to get there on time...

I'll try to get on the CFI forum real soon to catch up... :howdy

hey thanks Dawg...Sorry to hear your under the weather. Jim just now sent me some mail and said he is having issues with his manifold leaking air. He may or may not go to Firebird now. I still will go and may stop over his place on the way since he lives close to Firebird. If he needs a hand, I'll help out with the car.

I took mine out tonight for a six mile spin and was smiling the entire time :) i rebalanced the TBs and reset TPS, but its still a tad out, not much though. The stall will take a bit to get used to it even though its only 200/300 RPM more than my last one. It sounds good when you get into the gas a bit, but I only have 30/40 miles on it now, so I'm easy on it.

Jim told me the other night at the Pavillions to drive it like I stole it after 150 miles. No way, not yet. I have too much money in it to blow it before I can drive it. around.

Have fun at the outing on Saturday.

Guest XLR8TNC5

:cool:cool Nothing like setting off car alarms in a parking garage...

Nice job and great thinking on your fabrication ideas for the exhaust work. Hope to see and hear the beauty soon!

Tanya

Thanks all for the comments. Now for the good news! The motor started to knock today in the front from within the motor. Oil pressure went low...which means OH CRAP!!

The motor had 51 miles on it so far. The builder checked it out and heard it and looked at me and said...PULL IT OUT and we'll take are of it. Well, that's cool, but extremely depressing at this point. All that work to get it ready, and now I have to pull it out again. When does the madness stop? :banghead Well at least now I may put those Iron Eagle DART heads on it this time. :D

Sooo, I'm back to square one on the drawing board. I'll let you know what is found when I get the motor back. I know what I'll be doing this weekend :deadhorse Hey isn't that my car he's beating?

Desertdawg

Sorry to hear that Tom, doing it a second time always sucks because you are all hyped up to go play the first time.... At least the builder will take care of you...

And I would whole heartedly recommend getting rid of the crappy original heads and go for the Iron Eagles... :thumbs

NEW project besides motor pull. Has anyone here had their exhuast Hot Jet coated besides the headers? If so, how do you like it and how did it come out?

I'm going to drop the exhuast when I pull the motor and grind down all the welds smooth and take it over to Hot Jet in Tempe and do the entire exhuast. The price is $15 a linear foot, not too bad. Thanks for any info.

Desertdawg

Well the price sounds pretty reasonable, I'm going to leave mine rust for now, it's not perfect and not worth the cost of coating...

NEW project besides motor pull. Has anyone here had their exhuast Hot Jet coated besides the headers? If so, how do you like it and how did it come out?

I'm going to drop the exhuast when I pull the motor and grind down all the welds smooth and take it over to Hot Jet in Tempe and do the entire exhuast. The price is $15 a linear foot, not too bad. Thanks for any info.

I've had turbo down pipes, y-pipes for my F-body, brackets for numerous projects, cold air intakes, intake manifolds, piston tops, turbo housings, etc., all Jet-hot coated and it all turns out looking great. In fact, it's even easier to make the parts look better if they are not headers. You can polish the Jet Hot coating like it's aluminum or SS without having to deal with all the hard to reach areas on the headers like around the collectors.

I am still running my first set of Jet Hot coated headers that I had done in 1995 for a slammed IROC and they still look the same as the day I picked them up. No rust, or flaking, chipping... nothing.

Sold for life :thumbs

Ahhh...Very cool! that's what I needed to hear, someone who has experienced the jet hot process first hand. I'm not going to polish the entire exhuast though, just want to cover up the welds and keep things a little cooler inside the car. I also found out that they coat the inside as well as the outside of the tubes. :thumbs Thanks.

According to some reports, coating the inside not only has the benefit of helping move the heat down the pipe, it's supposed to help increase the airflow due to smoothing out the inside of the pipe at the welds and joints.

Do your homework before you go over there though, their facility is well hidden.

Phoenix FRC
According to some reports, coating the inside not only has the benefit of helping move the heat down the pipe, it's supposed to help increase the airflow due to smoothing out the inside of the pipe at the welds and joints.

Do your homework before you go over there though, their facility is well hidden.

Correct, this is easy for you Kipp,

The coating keeps the heat inside the pipe therefore the exhaust gasses don't cool as quickly as they would normally and this will allow the airflow to maintain volocity longer and of course in turn the engine doesn't have to push as much exhaust gasses out of the exhaust system. ;)

Header wrap also works the same way but looks like crap-ola! :ack