NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

C5 Info

ckaprolet

ckaprolet

Might be thinking about purchasing a C5. Any info about the better of the model years and the differances would be appreciated. I read where the 1997 was the best? Have seen that a couple of times....

I think if you're looking for a basic C5 the 97 is as good as any other but as time went on they added accessories like HUD, adjustable suspension, etc. There has been talk about the 2000 / 2001 having the dreaded piston slap but then so does my 2002 and it runs strong enough that I'm not about to let a GM mechanic near it. It has 53k mi on it and doesn't use a drop of oil between changes.

My suggestion is look for the cleanest, low mileage C5 you can afford and forget about what year is better. If there are certain accessories you favor then find out when they were introduced.

Good Luck!

i agree with eddie - and if you hear piston slap on your test drive, talk them down, and start saving for a forged motor - or better yet - a 402/408 :D

Guest XLR8TNC5

Just an FYI, 97 was the first year for the C5. I don't usually buy a car the first year out. My 98 is fantastic. No engine issues at all. Im at 58,800 miles right now and it is running very well. But yes, 2000+ have been known to have issues, but it seems to be hit or miss depending on the car.

Decide what options/bells and whistles you are looking for and how much you want to spend and go from there. That is all I would suggest.

Best of luck to you! :thumbs

Tanya

ckaprolet
Interested in a red one :D

Thats pretty, what year? It will probably be after June when I buy. Taking the bikes on a road trip and then I will probably sell one of the Harley's. I have 2 but I don't like leaving one sit while I drive the other.

ckaprolet

As usual, great info from you folks. I am not interested in lots of bells and whistles, usually means more headaches at some point. I prefer simple and clean.

Stock is fine too.

Keep the comments coming...

Thanks to all!

Truely depends on what you want..

For me.... I wanted a HUD so a 2000 or newer was the only way to go.

I also needed to upgrade the fuel system to accomidate the twin turbos, so a 2003 or newer out.

I have a 2001 (this is actually my 2nd 01)

knkayotte

I also needed to upgrade the fuel system to accomidate the twin turbos, so a 2003 or newer out.

My 99 has factory HUD :huh Also has piston slap but goes away after few minutes. :)

I also second what Eddie said, 60K here no issues.

My 99 has factory HUD :huh Also has piston slap but goes away after few minutes. :)

I also second what Eddie said, 60K here no issues.

99 had OPTIONAL HUD - it became standard in '01 i believe!

it's a GREAT addition - and to add it later can cost you upwards of $500 just for the parts! and YES i'm considering it!

my '99 doesn't have any piston slap :leaving

Guest Sidewinder
Mines a 98 with 47K on the clock now.

You can save yourself ALOT of hassle and just go look at Scratchs'. An immaculate and well maintained car that isn't hiding anything. Don't even think about CnV!!

Interested in a red one :D

why are you selling?

gonna get a C6? :D

whatcha askin' for it (PM me if you'd prefer)

I am considering selling it, not sure what to ask :huh

Just thinking of clearing up some debts, and (don't tell Nanc) but if this one is gone...it only gets me closer to the next one :D sad2.gif

Don&Patty

Here's my 2 cents worth. Have read, on other forums, that some owners of C5?s are adding Z06 this and Z06 that and Z06 whatever. If you?re going to get a C5 get a Z06. They run well, have enough power to set you back in the seat get decent gas mileage and you don?t have to add a lot of stuff as its already there and they are reasonably priced. Mine is a 2002 with 28,000 miles and I don?t have piston slap. I have heard that the 2001 Z06 has an oiling problem but again it?s just rumors but I did buy a 2002. If you don?t like the looks the Z06 keep looking and MOST OF ALL BUY WHAT YOU LIKE not what others like.

My '98 has 61,000 miles, and to be honest, has had quite a few "issues" - leaking rear diff. o-rings, freaked out oil-pressure sending unit, and most everything electrical (knocking on wood) i.e. power locks, window regulators, ac/heat display(I can fix it with some solder, I read), power antenna, headlight motors, column lock, etc... But after all that, with a new front cap, a new top and some seat covers & foam, my car is "finally" sorted...and the mods have started!!! Hear that, Tanya? I struck a deal :devil , a re-modeled kitchen in exchange for making mine an 11 second vert...

:burnout

Guest XLR8TNC5
My '98 has 61,000 miles, and to be honest, has had quite a few "issues" - leaking rear diff. o-rings, freaked out oil-pressure sending unit, and most everything electrical (knocking on wood) i.e. power locks, window regulators, ac/heat display(I can fix it with some solder, I read), power antenna, headlight motors, column lock, etc... But after all that, with a new front cap, a new top and some seat covers & foam, my car is "finally" sorted...and the mods have started!!! Hear that, Tanya? I struck a deal :devil , a re-modeled kitchen in exchange for making mine an 11 second vert...

:burnout

Wow!! I have not had anything like that at all with my 98. Had the dreaded column lock msg once or twice now, and one or two issues with WOT ending up with a LOW POWER msg that resulted in having to turn off the car and start it again. I think that was a wideband issue though before my wideband got tuned and it has been

PURRRRFECT ever since.

Im ready to have another 98 join the 11 second club with me, so step on up and lets have some fun!!! Right on for you!!

Tanya

If you want the "Z06" but dont want to pay the price, you can always opt for a 99-00 FRC. If i didn't buy my Z i would have went this route.