NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

What Am I doing wrong?

HarleyPat

OK so I used the PC for the first time..started out with a white pad and Zaino PC but it didn't seem to be making much difference in the swirls. Changed to a course green pad but still not happy with results. Changed to an orange pad and Meguiars 105 but still not happy. Am I not putting enough pressure on the polisher? I saw great results on Bad Bob's car at detail day but just not getting the same today. I know it's me just don't know what I'm doing that isn't working. HELP Aceholes!

Remember, I used a heavy pad with the 105 on the Flex polisher on Bob's car. I still had to make three passes for the heavy swirls and holograms before moving on to a polish... First things first... Mask off an area that you haven't worked on yet. Make it about 18" square and use painters tape. This is because you need to be able to compare the worked area to the current paint. When you are starting out, try the least aggressive method first. If you dont get the results you want, go to the next more agressive product/pad combination. Match your pad to your product. For the 105, you'll want to use your aggressive pad, whichever that is. With the Porter Cable, if you apply too much pressure, the pad will stop rotating. Too little pressure will cause it to spin fast. You should apply a medium pressure to the PC. Apply the product to the pad, place it on the paint before you turn it on. Work the area with overlapping right/left and up/down pattern, covering the entire working area and spending an equal amount of time on each part of your working area. Work the product until it starts to dry. Stop before it gets powdery. Wipe off the product and inspect the paint. If the swirls are gone, move to a polish like 205 and work the area with that. If they are still present, try a second pass with the 105. You may need a third pass if they are bad. If you're not sure that you are making progress, lift the tape and closely inspect the two sides. The 105 will make the paint appear smooth but not glossy. The 205 should use a medium pad and will make the paint have a glossy shine. The final step is sealant and will give the paint a deep shine with a very slick feeling. One thing to note is that the 105 and 205 can be wiped off immediately. A synthetic sealant should be allowed to bind with the paint for a least 30 minutes. Longer if it is cool.

I didn't want to assume anything. Did you clay bar first?

Yes I clay barred the car after washing. Then tried using the PC. Ted I guess I used it too long since there was a lot of powder and I didn't remember that being the case with Bob's car. So now I know I'm waiting too long to wipe the surface clean. I also try to watch the pads to make sure they are spinning and I haven't put too much pressure. I also did use blue painter's tape across the clear bra edges so as not to damage that. I will try again tomorrow with the 105 and a more aggressive pad. Thanks for the tips guys. See you in GB.

Did you try adjusting the speed to get better results?

Good point. I set mine at 5 for polishing and corrections. 3 for spreading sealant and 5 for buffing off the sealant.

Yesd I tried that too...speed was set at 5 then 5.5...trying again in a little while ..I'll tape off a section this time noit just the clear bra. I also bought the handheld light from autogeek but to tell you the truth, it doesn't show the swirls like I thought it would. Today I'm going to try to do this outside in the sun. Thanks again for the thoughts...much appreciated. :yourock:

Depending on the depth of the swirls and other marks, it may take several passes with the cutting pad and 105. Like I tried to show at Ed's, getting perfect paint as a beginner could take multiple sessions...

Yesd I tried that too...speed was set at 5 then 5.5...trying again in a little while ..I'll tape off a section this time noit just the clear bra. I also bought the handheld light from autogeek but to tell you the truth, it doesn't show the swirls like I thought it would. Today I'm going to try to do this outside in the sun. Thanks again for the thoughts...much appreciated. :yourock:

Don't work the product in the sun. Just pull the car out to look at swirls and then put it in the shade to keep it from heating up.

Depending on the depth of the swirls and other marks, it may take several passes with the cutting pad and 105.

Like I tried to show at Ed's, getting perfect paint as a beginner could take multiple sessions...

Don't work the product in the sun. Just pull the car out to look at swirls and then put it in the shade to keep it from heating up.

I see your point now Dawg...it will take several sessions to get the paint where I want it.

Ted...I should have read your last post before I tried another session in the sun...the product almost immediately went to powder...what a mess...hope this is a good lesson for others who are going to try this for the first time...thanks again guys

Depending on the depth of the swirls and other marks, it may take several passes with the cutting pad and 105.

Like I tried to show at Ed's, getting perfect paint as a beginner could take multiple sessions...

I see your point now Dawg...it will take several sessions to get the paint where I want it.

Ted...I should have read your last post before I tried another session in the sun...the product almost immediately went to powder...what a mess...hope this is a good lesson for others who are going to try this for the first time...thanks again guys

That's why I upgraded to the Flex. It gets results faster with fewer passes. The PC can get it done eventually but it can wear you out.

And I'm an old man...I wear out quicker than I used to...unless there is a beautiful woman involved :LolLol: I'll try again in the morning when the car is cold. :thankyou:

• 4 months later...
Wills.WindowsAndWheels

And I'm an old man...I wear out quicker than I used to...unless there is a beautiful woman involved :LolLol:

I'll try again in the morning when the car is cold. :thankyou:

I know this is an old post but i can't help but ask and wonder...how did it turn out...did you finally get the ole PC to do what you wanted?

PC!! Yikes buy a Flex. :thumbs J/K. You can achieve the same results, it just takes way longer IMO with a PC. After using both, the Flex is by far the outstanding winner. How did it finally come out btw?

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

PC!! Yikes buy a Flex. :thumbs J/K. You can achieve the same results, it just takes way longer IMO with a PC. After using both, the Flex is by far the outstanding winner. How did it finally come out btw?

Thats what i wanna know! And yes the Flex is much better...and much more expensive...depends on your situation...I've got 3 polishers and a 4th on the way...then i think i'll be set lol (PC,GG,Flex 3401, Makita 9227). When i grow up ill get the Flex rotary since its so light..but im good for nwo i think lol

sorry guys and gals...been off the forum for awhile...just finishing week 6 of 6 NASCAR broadcasts for Turner...life on the road sucks when your my age! Anyway, I never got passed the initial work on my paint since I had several heart issues since then and haven't been 100% up to much physical labor. I fly home Monday and then off to L.A. for a few days on a new show...after that I'm gonna take some time to recoop the body and hopefully take up where I left off on the paint fixing project. Hopefully I'll be able to reconnect with you at the next lunch. Till then...ride safe my friends!

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

sorry guys and gals...been off the forum for awhile...just finishing week 6 of 6 NASCAR broadcasts for Turner...life on the road sucks when your my age! Anyway, I never got passed the initial work on my paint since I had several heart issues since then and haven't been 100% up to much physical labor. I fly home Monday and then off to L.A. for a few days on a new show...after that I'm gonna take some time to recoop the body and hopefully take up where I left off on the paint fixing project. Hopefully I'll be able to reconnect with you at the next lunch. Till then...ride safe my friends!

Hey man hope you keep your word and do take it easy once you get home. Rest is for sure important.

You said you do broadcasts for Turner....Do you do sound engineering by chance? (i ask because of the picture of the monkey on at the sound board in your avatar lol).

Hey man hope you keep your word and do take it easy once you get home. Rest is for sure important.

You said you do broadcasts for Turner....Do you do sound engineering by chance? (i ask because of the picture of the monkey on at the sound board in your avatar lol).

Yes That's exactly what I do. Turner is one of my clients. I mix the pre race and post race shows for NASCAR for them as well as their NBA All Star Week and MLB NLCS studio shows when they tke them on the road away from their Atlanta studios. Also do NFL for FOX and some entertainment shows in between dys off :) I'm off to L.A. to do a show called Fashion Stars this week and hopefully it will involve a runway and scamtilly clad women!!! Yes I'm shallow...I'm old...I'm allowed!!!

Stay safe Pat and we'll see you soon :howdy

Thanks Dwayne...c u at the next one :partygrnhat:

Also...do you still get excited to be able to walk ............

I had to edit that a little for ya!

at Pats age he gets excited if the wind blows...

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

Whoa don't drag me into your old man jokes Dwayne! Thats allll you man lol

Dawg and I have an understanding...anything said between us is always done with hugs! :partydance:

And I will PM you about my music mixing experience...yes I did and for many years!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest badbobs95

Dawg and I have an understanding...anything said between us is always done with hugs! :partydance:

And I will PM you about my music mixing experience...yes I did and for many years!

Hugs? I wanna see that!!! :smilelol Take care my friend :willy:willy:willy