Fiberglass and Paint Stripping questions

a66bbvet

I am looking to repaint my 66 but want to remove the flares from the rear quarter panels in the process of painting. I have two question for some of the older members who have done this type of work in the past. First question has to do with stripping the paint. Someone has suggested to have it stripped by soda blasting and I like the idea but have some concerns. Has anyone ever had this done and how did it come out? I am not sure if this is safe or if I should strip it with chemicals or (god forbid) sandpaper. On the East coast I was told to never put sandpaper to fiberglass unless you are doing the final sanding of a new paint job. Since moving to Phoenix, most people have advised to only strip it with sandpaper. Does anyone know someone or a company that has stripped a corvette by soda blasting or does this type of work. Second question: I have looked around to see what is available to remove the rear quarter flares. It appears I have three options. I can either install stock quarter panels, which are press molded, install hand laid fiberglass quarter panels that are 1.5 inched wider than stock to accommodate wider tires, or just replace the wheel well panel section. The wider panels are a new product from Echlers Corvette. I am considering using the wider panels because I have 8 inch wheels rather than the stock 6 inch wheels, but am not sure what to expect from a panel that is hand laid fiberglass. If I use the stock panels or the panel section, I will still have to shave the inter edge of the wheel well to keep from tearing the glass up later. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

I would PM user name Don&Patty. Don has done this type of work before and has a friend that restores old vettes as well.

He doesn't come on to the forum very often, so that would be the best way to get him to see this.

Vic beleive it or not a razor blade is the best way to strip. Using fiberglass safe stripper is the second best method. Once the paint is off you can see where the parting line is for your panels. Then you can determine the best way to go on which panel to use

Soda blasting is hit and miss. The blaster must be experienced with fiberglass. Too much will remove the gel coat and then you have a mess. Chemical is good but must clean all residue or you'll have problems. I did some work on doors on my 69 and used chemical. WOrked well but then again, it wasn't a whole car. I'd probably leave it up to the painter as I'd want one person responsible for the whole job rather than having the painter blame it on poor prep.

• 4 months later...

As a followup and status to my original question, I ended up going with a bodyshot over at Carefree and I17. The man has done many vets and suggested we have the car stripped by media blasting with poly beads. I cringed when he made the suggestion but decided to go with his experience. The strip job came out extremely well. The key was to have the paint stripped and leave the last primer coat. The car looked really rough when I first saw it but when they took the last coat of primer off, the glass was smooth. The only reason I will not give the strippers name is he was very differcult to work with. We called to make a date to deliver it, so it could be put in the strip booth as so as we delivered it. Well a long story short, the car sat outside for over a week and a half before going into the booth. I saw cars that were delivered after mine that were done before mine. I would have expected that type of treatment for someone that was a one time only customer, but the body shop uses this media blaster whenever he has an old vet that needs to be stripped. He already has a 63 split window waiting for mine to be finished and has a 65 scheduled after the 63. He is not cheap but is really good and knows vets. He can do paint jobs but I have another painter that I am told is better than he is. Hopefully I will get the car back sometime before the end of July.