2001 LS1 in Mazda RX7.Performance Upgrades!hi

ls1mazdavette

ls1mazdavette

Hi,

As you some of you know,im a 23.yr old guy,that dreams of having a Vette(Z06),some day.I couldnt afford one at the time,so i had this crazy idea of build a very fast car,with one of my favorite chassis/body,a 2nd Gen Mazda RX7.I decided to make a Porvette!

I started this build in April 2010,with my older brothers high school car my mom bought him for $750.In 2000,my brothe had already blown the first rotary,so the car was in op for a while.i had dreams of owning this thing! In 2003,my brother came back from Iraq,replaced the blown rotary with a street ported 13B rotary from a well known Rotary shop in SoCal.7 months later,he overheated the $3000 rotary,so it has sat in a back yard for the past years.

In April 2010,my brother handed me the title.So i decided to start my Porvette!

I started with a 2001 LS1/T56 pull out of a 01 Camaro SS.i bought engine,trans,engine harness,pcm for $1500.

After that i started gathering parts for my build from different vehicle makes and models,such as clutch MC from a Toyota Land Cruiser,serpetine belt from a Chrysler Sebring,radiator hoses from a Fiat X19,and a few Vette parts.

Right now,this hasnt been a budget build,after adding all reciepts to about $12,000 and hundreads of hours wrenching,

In 100+ weather,raining days aand dust storms.

This is what it looks like right now with a few changes,and a hood! LOL

Posted Image

Right now,it has been outta commission for a weeksd,ive been doing the following updates

799/243 heads

228R cam 228/228 .580 114LSA

PRC springs

Comp Pushrods

LS6 intake

P&P TB

Melling Oil Pump

New GM bolts

LS2 timing chain

New gaskets

TR55 plugs

New GM head bolts

MSD wires

Pro 5.0 shifter

Soon-

Good Street Tune

Heres a few pics of engine bay right now and some of the work weve been doing

Prepping the block-

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finishing engine-

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The car will be on the road sometime next week hopefully.

Im open to any suggestions and comments

Thanks for looking and allowing me to be part of your awesome community

Very cool !!! A buddy of mine has a 3rd gen RX-7 with an LS2/T-56 combo transplanted into it :thumbs It actually fits in there better than the original rotary with all the turbo plumbing, and with a factory 4.10 rear gear matched to the T-56 his car flies thru the gears :3gears:

Only one suggestion from me, Gila Bend, February 26th... Be there!

I have another......weld the parts on you don't want flying off when it's at speed....nice work!!!!!

Yup, love to see a young guy out there doin it...very nice undertaking and it looks great so far! come over here and drag my lazy ass kid out of bed if you need a hand lol

:yourock: Guys like you assure me that hard work, dedication, and ingenuity are traits not lost in your generation. You've already learned more about life and problem solving than some people ever learned. Major congrats. :thumbs

ls1mazdavette

Thanks for all your kind words. My goal is to beat a Yuma Rich and Tom(06yumavette) LOL. But i wanna run 11s or 10s and still be able to drive it town,and terrorize Yuma. But Thank You for your input.

Sweet...glad to see a young guy with motivation. :thumbs

I was thinking the same thing. Reminds me of yesteryear. Nice job. :thumbs

Guest 06yumavette

he ran with us from yuma to LPM for the "dyno day"..... everytime i looked back he was right there. without admitting guilt we had exceeded the posted speed limit and he was still hanging with us.its quick.(not as fast as a vette) but quick!! lol

I used to race IMSA with a 12A turbocharged RX-7 set up by Petty Engineering. I remember Racing Beat in SoCal would stick in a 13B triple rotor that would do quite well on the straight away but would lose it on any curves due to the heavier front engine. I would imagine that your problem would be glueing the rear end down. wonder what you could use for traction control? Are you using a Centerforce clutch? My boost would put me at over 300hp at the rear wheels,and that was two weak points that I had.

I used to race IMSA with a 12A turbocharged RX-7 set up by Petty Engineering. I remember Racing Beat in SoCal would stick in a 13B triple rotor that would do quite well on the straight away but would lose it on any curves due to the heavier front engine. I would imagine that your problem would be glueing the rear end down. wonder what you could use for traction control? Are you using a Centerforce clutch? My boost would put me at over 300hp at the rear wheels,and that was two weak points that I had.

i could be wrong, but isnt the 13b a twin rotor, cause thats whats in the rx8? I know the 20b from the cosmo is triple rotor.

but ya this is amazing dude. I love what ur doing and hope to be seeing u at Gila bend. and I may be keeping in touch with you, cause my bro-in-law and I plan on dropping an ls1 into a stingray sometime in the near future so ya. you'll most likely be hearing from me soon hahaha

ls1mazdavette

PeaceyP-let me know if you need any help on my part. I just finished putting the engine together last night.ill be posting pics,all i need is to put my calipers on,and send my PCM to get tuned. Tom,Im gunning for you.LOL Thanks for the compliments guys

Hey thanks man, really appreciate it, if theres anyway i can help to that doesnt require me to drive 3 or so hours to get to u then let me no! :lol

Bring it on, suckah!!!!!!! :partydance::partydance::partydance: BTW, we have a local member who has a 62 with an LS1 in it.

Bring it on, suckah!!!!!!! :partydance::partydance::partydance:

BTW, we have a local member who has a 62 with an LS1 in it.

no way!! thats great!! i may have to keep in touch with him to if needed