Tip cleaning

Blk n Blu

I've had several members ask me how I clean my exhaust tips, so here ya go.

Posted Image

What you need:

Drill preferably an electris, it puts out more rpm's than a cordless, buffing wheel (Home Depot has a full kit for under $20.00) emry compound, white rouge compond, metal polish, adhesive cleaner/minral spirts, rags, an old sock and a micro fiber towel.

Posted Image

First start with buffing wheel with emery compound applied to the wheel moving in, out and around the tips.

Posted Image

Use a rag with adhesive cleaner/minral spirits to wipe off the residue left by the emery compound. You may have to repeat this step several times depending on dirty they are. When all the carbon is cleaned the you repeat the same process using the white rouge compound on the wheel and again cleaning with solvent.

Posted Image

Next rub in the metal polish to interior and exterior of the tips, wipe off with rag.

Posted Image

Take an old sock, cut the toe end off, turn it inside out and put it over the buffing wheel and polish the inside of the tips.

Posted Image

Finish buffing out with a micro fiber cloth. You can add a coat of wax to the outsides if you whant to.

Posted Image

Total time to do these was about 20 minutes. I only clean them when they get dirty about every 2 months. They get wiped down every time the car gets washed inside and out.

They look great, thanks for the write up! My car runs pig rich so I get tons of carbon build up. :bang

note to self... Bo knows jack - Charlie knows! Nice short cut, been meaning to get around to that sometime soon and you just saved me some time. Thanks Charlie!

• 1 month later...