NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

C6 headlight lense replacement

Tim

Although my 07 is really good shape, I want to replace are headlight lenses. Looks like they have been "polished" before to remove scratches and discoloration, which doesn't seems like they could have gotten the bad in just 3 years, but maybe so. I thought I'd try the smokey vinyl sheets but I don't really like the headlights with them on. So I going to purchase a set of lenses and install them and then place the clear protector sheets on them. Anyone replace this before? Thoughts? Thanks.

I would do some serious research on the big board. I understand a few people have replaced the lenses however it is not recommended. They come as a one piece unit with headlight etc and you don't want to know the cost. The other thing I've heard is the protective material generates too much heat and it cracks the lenses. Sorry I don't have all the details but if you research on CF you should be able to find more.

I agree w/ edddie. The lenses have a special coating on them that you do not want to put any abrasive materal on them. the lights run about $1000 each. Used market is $800 a pair. IF you can find them. Black is impossible to locate. There is a process to seperate the lense from the housing,but it has a 50% failure rate destroyong the units. ..then there is the risk of adding moisture to the sealed unit. You are not able to buy the lense by itself. I hope this helps. Cheers Chad

Well, I'm not liking that.

They appear to have already been "polished".

And no vinyl coating?

Crap.

I believe someone on the big board has begun offering just the replacement lenses, and I know there is at least one vendor offering the service to perform the R&R work for you.

Do a search on the C6 forum on the big boards for more info.

Lastly, after reading the threads regarding the installation of "clear bra" on the lenses themselves and talking to owners who have had this done in the last 3 years, I have gone ahead and installed the film on my headlights.

Once the scratch resistant coating has been compromised, you might as well continue the polishing. A handy mild abrasive that works well is whitening toothpaste.

fourseventeen

there is a guy on the big forum that does the swap BUT its costly!!! You can pick up a like new set of used lights for about 800 a pair and this dude wanted about 800 a pair to just swap the lenses out with new ones...plus shipping for you to get them to him. WAY to costly! I was checking into doing that because I have a small rock chip on my passenger side lens.

I just used a kit from Sylvania on a 2002 Sequoia. Headlight looks near new. Not sure the longevity, but the final step is coating a "UV" layer over the restored lens. The rep at the APEX show said 4-5 years.

fourseventeen

Yup Vidal idea isnt bad lol. Most insurance companies do cover headlights under the glass coverage. On another note...I do have the instructions for lense replacement in PDF if you want to take a look at it.

Yup Vidal idea isnt bad lol. Most insurance companies do cover headlights under the glass coverage.

On another note...I do have the instructions for lense replacement in PDF if you want to take a look at it.

I'd take a copy of the PDF.

Thanks

I've heard is the protective material generates too much heat and it cracks the lenses.

True!

A variety of chemicals can cause crazing or cracking of the headlamp lens. Headlamp lenses are very sensitive. Care should be exercised to avoid contact with all exterior headlamp lenses when treating a vehicle with any type of chemical, such as those recommended for rail dust removal. Rubbing compound, grease tar and oil removers, tire cleaners, cleaner waxes and even car wash soaps in too high a concentration may also attribute to this condition. This could result in the need to replace the entire headlamp housing.

Warning: Use only lukewarm or cold water, a soft cloth and a car washing soap to clean exterior lamps and lenses.

Also, crazing or deformations of the lens may occur if a shop mat or fender cover is draped over the fender and covers a portion or all of the headlamp assembly while the DRL or headlamps are on. This action restricts the amount of heat dissipated by the headlamps.

Warning: Care should be taken to not cover headlamps with shop mats or fender covers if the vehicle is being serviced with the headlamps or DRL illuminated. Covering an illuminated lamp can cause excessive heat build up and crazing/deformation of the lens may occur. The degradation of the lens can be unnoticeable at first and eventually become hairline cracks in the lens. In extreme cases, it could cause the lens to deform. This damage can also be caused by aftermarket shields that are often tinted in color.

Once a heat buildup is generated by the headlamp, a degradation of the headlamp lens begins. This degradation of the lens can be unnoticeable at first and eventually manifest as spider cracks. In more extreme cases, it will begin to melt the lens of the headlamp.

Notice: Headlamps damaged by chemicals, improper cleaning, or overheating due to being covered are not covered under the new vehicle warranty.