Lens restoring

Blk n Blu

There is a couple kits out there for restoring lenses. Meguires has one that just has a cleaner with a buffing head. Also some that have a four or five step abrasive sanding pads. Anyone have any experience with either?

I’ve used polishing compound bars from Eastwood and they work really well, IMO. I used 1200 grit wet sand then applied the compound and buffed. Just make sure you don’t let it overheat. That could be a problem. Don’t stay in one spot too long when buffing.

I’ve used polishing compound bars from Eastwood and they work really well, IMO. I used 1200 grit wet sand then applied the compound and buffed. Just make sure you don’t let it overheat. That could be a problem. Don’t stay in one spot too long when buffing.

1200 grit, 2000 then a new pad for a Porter cable DA ought to do it then. I'll try it this weekend. Thanks for the info Andrew & Sean.

I just used some 3M ultrafine compound and my buffer, worked fine on the Vic. Just don't get it too hot when using any buffer.

Hold up a minute, are you wanting to buff your headlights to the Vette or another car? The new C6 Corvette's have a clear film protection on them from the factory. IF and when you buff on them this will permiate through the film. The headlights are obrotiously expensive and if you have any problems the dealer rep will come out with a special eye piece and light system to see what type of damage was done to the headlight assembly. So in short, DONT do anything to your VETTE headlights other then wax!!!! If you do have any problems such as the hazing take it in to get checked out. As for any other style and type of vehicle there are a couple of different systems out on the market that work. All of those kits that you see in the parts store such as the Meguires aren't worth what they cost. Like what was said above, I use detailing compound bars with cotton buffing wheels for the best results. If they were seriously neglected I would wetsand them with 1500 than 2000 grit. Next polish with bar and wax.

Good info on the Vettes Wishbone. I've tried some of the aftermarket type stuff on Karen's Sebring. No real difference. Maybe I didn't do it right. I'll try Mequires perhaps.

Hold up a minute, are you wanting to buff your headlights to the Vette or another car?

The new C6 Corvette's have a clear film protection on them from the factory. IF and when you buff on them this will permiate through the film. The headlights are obrotiously expensive and if you have any problems the dealer rep will come out with a special eye piece and light system to see what type of damage was done to the headlight assembly. So in short, DONT do anything to your VETTE headlights other then wax!!!! If you do have any problems such as the hazing take it in to get checked out.

As for any other style and type of vehicle there are a couple of different systems out on the market that work. All of those kits that you see in the parts store such as the Meguires aren't worth what they cost. Like what was said above,

I use detailing compound bars with cotton buffing wheels for the best results. If they were seriously neglected I would wetsand them with 1500 than 2000 grit. Next polish with bar and wax.

Thanks for the advice Robert.

You are welcome, your ride looks so good. I did not notice anything wrong with your lenses when I saw it, but I was not looking for anything either. If you would like me to take a look at them, the next time we get together I can take a gander and see what is going on!

40+K there's a lot of pitting.

Oh ok, if that is the case, I would wet sand to get smooth again and then clear bra the lenses with clear bra so you wont have problems of pitting.