Door panel removal on 1981

ckaprolet

Had not planned on tearing apart anything inside the car yet but the drivers side mirror is loose. Not the post that connects to the door but the mirror cowling that sits on the post. I see no way to get at it from the outside so I am assuming that i need to attack from the inside. I have the service manual and it makes removal of the door panel sound pretty painless but I have concerns. What about the window glass? Up or down when doing this? Can I expect any surprises when doing this? Any tips would be appreciated. Car has power windows and door locks.

By the way. We got her registered and tagged yesterday. New catalytic converter installed and an exhaust inspection. AOK. Car passed emissions with flying colors!

So, next is to get the mirror tightened, then to a mechanic for radiator flush, trans service, plugs, valve cover gaskets, belts, hoses and a general mechanical look over. Then the fun starts I guess....

What I was told is that the head bolts are behind the mirror, not in the door, my passenger side wobbles and it can stay that way for now....

To repair it you have to break out the mirror, then you can tighten the bolts down, of course this means you need to order a new mirror and the trunion that is glued to the back side of the mirror....

Way to much hassle for me, so mine is going to wobble for now!

Of course I could be wrong, hopefully someone else has a better way to fix it, and then both of us can learn something new...

Here's the parts needed...

Outside Mirror Glass Trunion

Outside Sport Mirror Replacement Glass Left Side

Outside Sport Mirror Replacement Glass Right Side

To repair it you have to break out the mirror, then you can tighten the bolts down, of course this means you need to order a new mirror and the trunion that is glued to the back side of the mirror....

Way to much hassle for me, so mine is going to wobble for now!

Looks like you did your homework. Makes perfect sense now. I will let you know if I give it a whirl. My big problem is I let little things bug me. I can see that is not a good trait sometimes. Thanks for the detailed facts.

Guest Simpson36

MY '82 CE had a very wobbly drivers side mirrir.

Electric mirror, windows and door locks.

You'll need to determine for yourself if an '81 is similar to an '82, but for mine, the panel came off no sweat and the mirror stalk bolts to the door from the inside.

Once the mirror is off the car, your can get to the bolts that hold the mirror head onto the stalk. they are inside the hollow stalk. The bolts in mine were sort of cross threaded and didn't fit correctly, so I ran a tap into the holes and then locktited the bolts in and got them nice and snug.

While I was in the door, I lubed all the mechanics and reposioned some of the anit-rattle rubber spacers that had migrated and were allowing the various rods to bang against the door frame.

The door closes nice and solid now with no rattles. The passenger mirror was fine, but I did the anti-rattle, lube and adjust on that door too. What a difference!

Guest Simpson36

To answer your question specifically, I removed the panel and worked on the mirror with the window down.

I did need to remove the anti-rattle cusions to move the glass enough to get to the bolts that hold the mirror to the door. I have a neat set of u-joint sockets and I would have had a hard time getting to the bolts without them.

You mentioned a service manual, but didn't say which one you have. Definately get the factory manual. Mine was $75 directly from the publisher. Your is the same:

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?Sty...J619ERD6MPB8WFD

You mentioned a service manual, but didn't say which one you have. Definately get the factory manual. Mine was $75 directly from the publisher. Your is the same:

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?Sty...J619ERD6MPB8WFD

Thanks. Your proceedure sounds pretty good. I have the factory manual. Looks like he bought it in 1981 but it is in good shape. I think I will give this try this weekend.

Thanks again.

Thanks for replying Steve,

I was wrong in my post then, I was told you had to go through the mirror to tighten it up.

It's always better when someone has already done it, rather then relying on rumors... :thumbs

Got the door panel off and everything else. That part is quite easy. Problem is a tool to get in there to the small space. I am going to go look for those U Joint Sockets! Would actually be a piece of cake with the right tools. I was surprised. I am on a search for that. Following the procedure in the sevice manual makes it easy. Just need the tool. Should be able to get to the aft mounting bolt by just loosening the rear anti rattle bracket and removing the front one. If I had the right wrench it would have been a 30 minute job.