NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

1981 Corvette Tops

ckaprolet

Hello to all! New to the forum. I am hoping to find some solid advice here. My wife was gifted a 1981 Vette from her cousin. Only 48K miles. Seems to be mechanically sound. Car has never been waxed and the interior could use some cleaning and fixing up. We would like to get the car looking good...but not neccesaarily show ready. My wife intends to drive her. The car has the original roof panels M1131 Glass. Passenger side is cracked. Prior owner purchased a set og LOF M95C panels which were on the car. I notice they don't fit as good as the originals. My question is, am I better served finding a M1131 passenger panel and selling off the pair of M95C's? I would like to stick with as nuch original stuff as possible. The panel frame is in good shape...are they worth anything? Any advice would be appreciated.....I will have lots more questions as we go. I was hoping to use CnV Vettes as a good resourse but they told me they are too busy with the cars they bring in to sell and the cars they have sold to take on outside work. Any reccomendations on local folks that can help with this little project, especially the interior?

Thanks in advance...

Charles, Mesa, AZ

post-3-1142095522.jpg

3,503 lbs of trouble

CNV = nono.gif

Talk to Frank Dunshee about the tops:

Dunshee's Corvette Parts

7304 W Villa Rita Dr, Glendale, AZ 85308

(602) 938-8895

Perhaps even try:

Max's Vette Stuff

428 S Date # 6, Mesa, AZ 85210

(480) 964-0779

~or~

Corvette Salvage

9219 N 11th Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85021

(602) 997-4261

~or~

20th Street Auto & Parts Web Site

2000 E Jefferson St, Phoenix, AZ 85034

(602) 253-2020

My former (I sold my C3) Vette mechanic, Doug Bromley, is a better resource for your '81 than CNV. He specializes in C3s & C2s, plus Doug is also a good detailer:

Bromley's Performance Corvette

3738 W. Commonwealth Ave.

Chandler, AZ (480) 390-2652

And there is always ADS:

http://www.adsaz.biz/general.htm

CNV did you a favor by being too busy for your business, trust me...

Welcome to the forum! Nice to see so many C3's and C4's on here lately! :thumbs

Dan has listed the best resources for you but whatever you do stay away from CNV! :yesnod

Welcome to the forum, you started your first post with plenty of information and a pic. That is a great way to start hear. You will get tons of information from our members and some willing to help if you just ask.

I personaly can not give advice on the mechanics on a C3, but I can help with the detailing if you request more info.

Again welcome, :howdy

Phil... :devil

M1131's are ultra rare, especially in good, un-faded condition. Those are the blue mirror tops and they fade out easily.

If you have a set of good glass tops and one set of bad I would get the bad ones rebuilt with acrylic pieces. I had a M1131 break due to a rock. I sent the tops to Tompson's Astro Tops. They make a crappy ass one piece replacement -- don't get that. They also rebuild the stock frames with acrylic instead of the glass. They are A LOT lighter, incredibly strong and won't break or crack. These are the best for a daily driver C3.

http://www.astrotops.com/gmtops.html

I have the smoke gray and they look black from the outside.

I hope this helps some.

CNV = nono.gif

Talk to Frank Dunshee about the tops:

Dunshee's Corvette Parts

7304 W Villa Rita Dr, Glendale, AZ 85308

(602) 938-8895

Perhaps even try:

Max's Vette Stuff

428 S Date # 6, Mesa, AZ 85210

(480) 964-0779

~or~

Corvette Salvage

9219 N 11th Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85021

(602) 997-4261

~or~

20th Street Auto & Parts Web Site

2000 E Jefferson St, Phoenix, AZ 85034

(602) 253-2020

My former (I sold my C3) Vette mechanic, Doug Bromley, is a better resource for your '81 than CNV. He specializes in C3s & C2s, plus Doug is also a good detailer:

Bromley's Performance Corvette

3738 W. Commonwealth Ave.

Chandler, AZ (480) 390-2652

And there is always ADS:

http://www.adsaz.biz/general.htm

CNV did you a favor by being too busy for your business, trust me...

Wow! That's a wealth of information....thanks for being so pspecific. I am guessing you live somewhere in the valley as well????

Charles

Welcome to the forum! Nice to see so many C3's and C4's on here lately! :thumbs

Dan has listed the best resources for you but whatever you do stay away from CNV! :yesnod

Thanks....sounds like CnV has some problems, eh? Are they worth buying parts from or am I better off using the internet and other local shops?

Oh yea, upholstery... I saw some great work done on a C2 from this shop:

I will check out Razzle Dazzle for sure.....thanks again

Welcome to the forum, you started your first post with plenty of information and a pic. That is a great way to start hear. You will get tons of information from our members and some willing to help if you just ask.

I personaly can not give advice on the mechanics on a C3, but I can help with the detailing if you request more info.

Thanks, Phil, do you do detaling work or do you have a good source?

M1131's are ultra rare, especially in good, un-faded condition. Those are the blue mirror tops and they fade out easily.

If you have a set of good glass tops and one set of bad I would get the bad ones rebuilt with acrylic pieces. I had a M1131 break due to a rock. I sent the tops to Tompson's Astro Tops. They make a crappy ass one piece replacement -- don't get that. They also rebuild the stock frames with acrylic instead of the glass. They are A LOT lighter, incredibly strong and won't break or crack. These are the best for a daily driver C3.

http://www.astrotops.com/gmtops.html

I have the smoke gray and they look black from the outside.

I hope this helps some.

Thanks, that sounds like a good option. I had come across that site lasat week while searching for info. Glad I found this forum. Seems like this could be the best resource of all!

See if I can answer some of your questions.

IMHO CNV can't be trusted for vehicle purchase or service. Parts might be a different question if you can't find it else where. I will guarantee they'll be high on just about anything you might buy. If you can't find it else where then go for it.

You'll find most of us "regulars" live here in the Phx metro area. We have a few from Tucson and one up north in the Verde Valley.

As for Phil knowing a detailer, he has probably one of the sweetest looking C5's you'll ever see and takes great pains to keep it looking good. Most of us do our own detailing. If you need advise someone here will have it.

We do alot of what we call "Corvette Saturdays". If you have a particular project that requires some additional hands or muscle just let us know and you too can host a "Corvette Saturday". The guys recently came over to help me install seatcovers in my C5 and I ended up watching while they did it. You won't find a better bunch of folks in the Corvette community.

Again, WELCOME! :howdy

Welcome to the forum, you started your first post with plenty of information and a pic.  That is a great way to start hear.  You will get tons of information from our members and some willing to help if you just ask.

Thanks, Phil, do you do detaling work or do you have a good source?

Both, I do my own and had to have a few things outsourced for major work.

Own most detailing equipment and supplies. Almost went into a detailing business at one time.

Let us know what you need help with.

We do alot of what we call "Corvette Saturdays". If you have a particular project that requires some additional hands or muscle just let us know and you too can host a "Corvette Saturday". The guys recently came over to help me install seatcovers in my C5 and I ended up watching while they did it. You won't find a better bunch of folks in the Corvette community.

Again, WELCOME! :howdy

That's awesome! I will keep watching for the Saturday's. It would be good showing up for others just to learn some stuff. That's funny that you watched everyone else work on your car for you.....says alot about this group!

Welcome Chas from another C3 owner as well... :D

Phil (1EvilC5) does some nice detailing, and I also have some detailing supplies, If you want to learn to do it yourself I'm sure we can get together to get you started... I just live farther away.

Be sure to keep an eye on the events section, and fell free to join in on any of the functions you want... :thumbs

Phil (1EvilC5) does some nice detailing, and I also have some detailing supplies, If you want to learn to do it yourself I'm sure we can get together to get you started... I just live farther away.

Thanks D,

I will probably take you guys up on the offers. I need to get a plan of attack together. I have to have the catalytic converter put back on or buy a new one. I need to get through registration and emissions so I can get her tagged. So I figure I will get the catalytic converter done and then get her in to have the road worthy stuff checked, new belts, hoses fluids and plugs. Valve covers are leaking too so I will put new gaskets on those. Other than that she seems fine. Fires right up. Needs to be opened up some on the road.

Once we can drive her, I figure try and get the outside looking good than work my way inside.

Not sure how the finish is going to come out. Car has never been waxed so I am thinking of having it buffed out and see what happens??? Someone suggested using a 2 part deal called Liquid Glass? 1st step you apply and let it remove oxidation, dirt grime then lightly buff. Repeat if needed then do the waxing....anyone heard of this?

If you look at the photo the nose must have gotten bumped and is peeling...not sure if it can be touched up or involves replacement. I was thinking of getting one of those "mini-bras" initially to cover it. Wheels should polish back I am thinking. Then I need to decide what to do about the t-top. Find a blue passenger panel or stick with the grey set. They don't seem to fit as well. I notice the glass panels have shims...is there some formal adjustment proceedure for installing new glass panels?

Power antenna does not work and the former owner told us that the horn blows a fuse when used....

Ideas and suggestions are welcome, especially regarding the body. I don't want to make it (the body) any worse. Looking at the photos you folks have the cars look brand new.....that 81 C3 for sale is incredible looking. I really would love to get her to that point!

This is the Liquid Glass I was told about:

Liquid Glass Product

Again, thanks to all!

Welcome to the forum!  Nice to see so many C3's and C4's on here lately!  :thumbs

Dan has listed the best resources for you but whatever you do stay away from CNV!  :yesnod

Thanks....sounds like CnV has some problems, eh? Are they worth buying parts from or am I better off using the internet and other local shops?

you are better off buying the parts off the internet.

the last time i went to buy a part there it was marked up much higher than the place they bought it from (as it still had the MID AMERICA sticker on the package)

so i'd just steer clear of them all together.

My suggestion for detailing is to go with Meguiar's, It's all I use, and I have been very happy with the results.....

Here's a pic of my 82 CE

mine1.jpg

Following is some pics of what I can get out of Meguiar's.

1271reflections4.jpg

1271reflections5.jpg

1271meg014.jpg

1271meg015-med.jpg

1271sam008.jpg

1271sam004.jpg

My suggestion for detailing is to go with Meguiar's, It's all I use, and I have been very happy with the results.....

nice pics and nice ride. Thanks. I use Mequiars now for the bikes...have always been happy with it too.