NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Homelink in Visor

Don&Patty

Installed a "Homelink" garage door opener in the visor and it works great. I had heard that they are hard to program but had no problems with this one. Got it out of a wrecked 2000 Ford Explorer for $15.00. This Homelink happens to have a built in Voice Memo which also works just fine. A nice one-hour or so project for you do it yourselfers.

P1010040.jpg

Looks like he put it in his Vette.

I would be interested in doing mine also.

Sounds like a Corvette Saturday Project if we can find enough Homelinks.

What do you think?

Your right, it is in my Vette. Was not hard at all, the PINA part was sewing up the visor. Like I said, an hour to an hour and a half project. If you do the project make sure that the Homelink in out of a 1999 or new vehicle as the garage door opener mfgs. all have a "rolling code programming" meaning that there is no set code. Got mine out of salvage yard here in Casa Grande. I sure their available from most salvage yards and the good part is it does not matter what make of car it is out of just so its a 99 or newer. If anyone needs help, let me know.

I'm with Phil. I'd love to do it to mine. Would you mind a trip to the Valley for a Corvette Saturday Don? Anybody have a contact with a salvage yard?

No problem, let me know when and where. Almost any salvage yard will have them, may have to look around some, usually in high end vehicles.

Guest AZ Power & Sound

id say see if the C6 visors fit in the C5s since they have homelink standard... if GM sells them cheap enough at cost it would be a 10 minute install :)

I'm in!! In my Vert I keep my opener in the center console, and I've been "looking" for somewhere to attach or velcro it to the door or dash but nothing looks good. Problem is there's NO room in the center console, and if there's a passenger you have to ask them to move their arm to access the console. This would be a great mod and Cheeeeep!

My suggestion would be to put it on the back side of the visor. That way it's out of site to would be car thieves.

That and things on the visor in my peripheral vision bother me.

I am in......I have been looking at this mod for a couple of months. My issues that being 6'4" I removed the visors for more visibility also I have heard of guys getting their visors stolen with the homwlink in it. Presumable to get into the garage. Not an issue for you non-vert's. I have also been researching if it could be installed with some sort of a/b switch so I can prgram more than one home. Someone had told me that there a homelink out there with that option but I have not been able to find it. I have been looking at installing by the knee and tying into the lighter for power, but whatever, count me in for the project.

You can place the homelink anywhere you want in the car. Have seen them mounted on the trans. tunnel in the area where your knee goes. Also, most homelinks can be programed to operated three different things, i.e., garage opener, gate, door, or any combo.

I saw a bunch of visors and units on ebay. Just type in homelink and there they are... aaaahhhh the wonders of the internet. Thank you Al Gore. :smilelol:smilelol Robert :burnout

Toyota's give you three buttons on their Homelink

apparently so does dodge

G/F has a 2002 stratus with the homelink in the visor

just wanted to let ya'all know!

:drinkers

Just look at the wiring in the link that UVETTYA posted and its a good one except the wiring is backwards. If you wire it this way it will not work. Switch the wiring around and there should be no problems. Check it with junpers before you re-stich it.

ICULUKN - you were going to check with the relative, any news? No harm no foul I can go to the local pick-and-pull here in Mesa. I would just rather give the money to the 'family'.

:thumbs

Guest UVETTYA

Me too! :D

Seriously, if someone's going for these, and it's not too much trouble, pick up a few extras please if they have them. I'll pay you with pay pal if you like, or whatever. It looks like there are at least a few of us who want to do this.

Steve