? How many of you routinely drive with Traction Control off?

6spdsforme

6spdsforme

I hated the Traction control and appreciated it at the same time in my C4. I never did any accidental 360's around corners or anything. Question is now that I am moving into a C5 with better front to rear weight distribution, how many of you drive without traction control?

Big Poppa

I bought a Laptrax so the car goes into competition (traction off, active handling on) mode every time I start it. I've heard that the 01 and up are much better, but the system in my 2000 is so restrictive that I deemed it dangerous on a few accounts, so I won't drive the car with the traction engaged.

I don't leave home without it. Fine to shut it off for autox or in a controlled environment but believe me, you'll bring the back end of a C5 around so fast on the street it'll catch you by surprise. It's just a tool, you still have to drive the car

I don't leave home without it. Fine to shut it off for autox or in a controlled environment but believe me, you'll bring the back end of a C5 around so fast on the street it'll catch you by surprise. It's just a tool, you still have to drive the car

:agree My scariest experience was a 90 turn that I did at Speedworld. After my first couple passes I decided to do it w/o traction control. I saw the wall coming closer and closer to my right side and steering away I ended up facing the 90 degrees to the left and looking at the stands. After stopping I figured WTH I might as well continue the rest of the way around. I wouldn't drive w/o it now.

If you want a good example of how great it is just hit a puddle with it on and punch it. It will start to fishtail and pull you out immediately.

I turn it off.....for burnouts and nitrous hits. :burnout2

If I'm just tooling around town I leave it on. If I'm going to to "DRIVE" her, I shut it off. I agree with Chris that it is too restrictive. But what you must always remember is to drive within your ability. I am one that does not mind a little fish tail action. When I really want to hit it and lose a little traction it bugs the hell out of me when the timing gets retarded cutting power to the wheels. I'm confident in my driving ability and feel I can handle the car quite adequately. :thumbs But, if you're like ChadC, leave it on. :lol P.S. When I'm at the drag strip it HAS to be shut off with a nitrous hit. The last thing you want is to have the N2O flowing and the timing get retarded and blow the intake off.

:banghead since I went around a corner with it off and almost flipped I ride with it on, it keeps me in my zone. I am sure others don't need it.

Mine is always on except long leisurely hwy drives with the Cruise "on".

Of course there is no right answer to this as everybody on here has different levels of driving skills under different situations. I would think that you need to do what you feel comfortable driving like under each circumstance that can arise. Do you feel prepaired to take full control of the cars power under any and all situations? Drive within your comfort zone and dont worry about what others may think. Safety is #1

Of course there is no right answer to this as everybody on here has different levels of driving skills under different situations. I would think that you need to do what you feel comfortable driving like under each circumstance that can arise. Do you feel prepaired to take full control of the cars power under any and all situations? Drive within your comfort zone and dont worry about what others may think. Safety is #1

Traction off when you decide you want to buy new tires within the next couple days,....

On..unless in combat situations :)

Like fighting off CTS-V's?

6spdsforme

Back when I had Chuck's (Racing Chester) 94 Vert 6spd, (Actually it was my car first) when coming out of a corner with it on the power delay was very frustrating. When practicing around vacant intersection with it off, I continuously edged the speed up a bit as my confidence and skill improved. Never did any 360's, but once when I was showing off to my brother, I had to back off suddenly around a tight right had corner or I would have ended up against the curb, ruined the rims and failed miserably at impressing my brother! The Handling characteristic definitely changed with a passenger on board. Can't wait to pick up the C5 and start the practicing again! :cool