NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Extended Warrenty

Guest cahollister

Guest UVETTYA

Yep. I just bought one for my '04 Z and it's good until 99,000 miles and/or 2011.

It depends on your car and driving habits. If it's a garage queen, it may not be worth it. If you drive it a lot, like I do, it may be worth it. Most everything for a Vette is expensive to repair. The memory seat module is $1500 installed. A clutch is around a grand to replace and transmission or rear end is $3K if you have the dealership do it. If you're a good mechanic and can do most of your own major repairs, then it might not be worth it.

It's like any other insurance. You may need it, you may not. It paid for itself in about a year and a half on my '03, but that thing was in the shop every other week for one thing or another. Must have been built on a Monday or a Friday. :lol My '04 OTOH has been very dependable.

So it's mostly piece of mind for me. I'm gambling that I might not have a grand or two to toss at the car if it breaks. I had the money now so I bought the warranty. Who knows what will happen tomorrow.

Steve

I guess I'm the other voice. I have never bought an extended warranty on anything. I think it amounts to whether you are mechanically inlcined and financially able to cover any major repair. Yeah, a $3k rearend would hurt financially but I could cover it. Rather than insurance I prefer to think of them as a gamble. I'm not a gambler.

My 02 has just over 50k miles on it and hasn't been back to the dealer since it was out of warranty.

Bought one for mine, biggest waste of money. This was before I knew how simple of car the C5 actually is to work on. Used parts are not hard to find and not to expensive if you have to replace something, which most likely you will not.

Plus, after reading about so many dealership horror stories, my Vette will never see the inside of a chevy dealership shop.

We have purchased extended warranty's on pretty much every car we've bought in the last 10 years.

Good reasons why:

1980 Corvette -- had to have the transmission rebuilt to replace all the gaskets.

Rear suspension rebuilt.

Power steering pump replaced

power window regulator and motor replaced --- all under warranty.

1998 Dodge Ram 1500

entire transmission replaced

rear gears and bearings replaced

power door lock actuator replaced

ABS controller and 2 sensors replaced.

1998 Dodge Neon - rack and pinion steering replaced - only work done, but it more than covered the price of the warranty. We got a pretty good refund from the warranty when we traded the car in too.

I would never buy a used car again without a warranty. Also, if you plan on keeping a new car to the 100,000 mile mark - better get an extended warranty too. Factory ones die at 36,000 - 50,000 miles and that is when everything starts coming apart. If your only going to keep the car 3 years then don't worry about it.

3,503 lbs of trouble

Mike Rosenfeld says his '01 C5 is gone as soon as his extended is up in '09. We all know what comes Mike's way as far as cars goes.