NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Wiring Harness Installation?

Denna

Does anyone know any shade tree Corvette mechanics (or reputable/reasonable shops) in Phoenix area who can repair a C5 wiring harness... It is the one under the battery. I guess I had battery acid damage mine and now my car auto switches between kilometers and miles per hour by itself 100 times while I am driving.

I've found a few used harnesses or some parts more reasonable than the dealer, but I would need someone to either fix the faulty wire or replace the harness with a replacement.

Denna

Guest UVETTYA

I can't help you with a mechanic, and I know you said you don't want to use a dealership, but I've had good luck at Brown and Brown Chevy in Mesa. They have a mechanic who owns a C5 and everything they've done for me has been top notch, to include axle seals on two different C5's, fuel tank replacement, clutch replacement, window motors, etc. I've been going there since June of 2003.

If you use them ask for Dean Parks, (service writer) tell him Steve Nirk recommended him and tell him you're just as anal as I am.. :cuss and I think you'll get good service.

First off Welcome to Arizona Vette Net. :howdy

As for the wiring harness, you must of had your battery leak all over it. :eek

I had that happen to my 99 Coupe that I owned just right after I went out of warranty with the factory. I had an aftermarket warranty also but they denied the claim, saying that the problem most likely happend while it was still under warranty and GM should cover it. I went round and round with both and they would not do anything for me. Then the dealer rep suggested I speak to my home insurrance and they ended picking up the cost. I only had to pay the deductable and the cost of a new battery. I had the work done at Theorobred Chevrolet in Chandler. They did an fine job replacing the entire wiring harness. I do not recommend this for just anybody to try and replace.

Give that a shot and see if your home owners insurrance will pick up the repair cost. It does not hurt to try.

Phil... :devil

I had that happen to my 99 Coupe that I owned just right after I went out of warranty with the factory. I had an aftermarket warranty also but they denied the claim, saying that the problem most likely happend while it was still under warranty and GM should cover it. I went round and round with both and they would not do anything for me. Then the dealer rep suggested I speak to my home insurrance and they ended picking up the cost. I only had to pay the deductable and the cost of a new battery. I had the work done at Theorobred Chevrolet in Chandler. They did an fine job replacing the entire wiring harness. I do not recommend this for just anybody to try and replace.

Give that a shot and see if your home owners insurrance will pick up the repair cost. It does not hurt to try.

how in the world did your homeowner insurance cover it?

what was the basis for that?

:huh

I had that happen to my 99 Coupe that I owned just right after I went out of warranty with the factory.  I had an aftermarket warranty also but they denied the claim, saying that the problem most likely happend while it was still under warranty and GM should cover it.  I went round and round with both and they would not do anything for me.  Then the dealer rep suggested I speak to my home insurrance and they ended picking up the cost.  I only had to pay the deductable and the cost of a new battery.  I had the work done at Theorobred Chevrolet in Chandler.  They did an fine job replacing the entire wiring harness.  I do not recommend this for just anybody to try and replace.

Give that a shot and see if your home owners insurrance will pick up the repair cost.  It does not hurt to try.

how in the world did your homeowner insurance cover it?

what was the basis for that?

:huh

They picked it up because the damage the battery acid caused. The adjuster reviewed the actual battery that exploded/broke apart. I did not question it when they said it would be covered. I was just glad it got covered. It is very expensive to replace the entire wiring harness.

I do not have the records anymore, I gave them to the new owner when I sold the car.