Adams Polish

Guest UVETTYA

Guest UVETTYA

I heard about Adams polish on the Z06vette.com board, so I bought a detail kit, and man oh man, that stuff rocks!

Today I washed it and wiped it down with Adams detail spray, then put on a coat of their Revive Polish with a dab of Swirl and Haze remover mixed in. I bought a Porter Cable 7424 orbital polisher a few weeks ago, and today was the first time I've used it. I haven't buffed a car since the 70's, but I used the PC today to put the polish on, then hand wiped it with micro fiber towels, then used the PC to put on Adams Butter Wax, and another hand polish with MF towels. All I can say is WOW!. The car has never looked so good.

So I thought I'd share a picture with you...

DSC04195.jpg

Oh, by the way, I couldn't risk it getting dusty so I left the cover on. But you all can see it with the cover off Saturday. :thumbs

Steve,

Did you get your stuff thru S-Tee??

I think Scott has an inside track at Adams??

What is this wax sh*t anyway??

Does it make you go faster??

Ken

Guest UVETTYA
Steve,

Did you get your stuff thru S-Tee??

I think Scott has an inside track at Adams??

What is this wax sh*t anyway??

Does it make you go faster??

Ken

No, but you can get a 10% discount by entering Z06 as the discount code.

I don't know S-Tee but if he can get a better deal than that, you should introduce me. :yesnod I've been a Maguires fan for several years, and I've used Zaino before, but Adams so far has impressed me the most.

And yes, you can go faster when you're waxed. :leaving

Guest UVETTYA
Hey, I just use Windex. Have had no problems.

I use windex wipes to get the bugs off the bumper after a cruise. I don't think it hurts the paint but I would guess it takes the wax off. You really should keep a good coat of wax on your paint so it doesn't oxidize. The sun out here is brutal. And if you leave the bugs on too long they'll ruin the paint too.

Does anyone use the vinyl clearcoat protectors?

3,503 lbs of trouble

I use windex wipes to get the bugs off the bumper after a cruise. I don't think it hurts the paint but I would guess it takes the wax off. You really should keep a good coat of wax on your paint so it doesn't oxidize. The sun out here is brutal. And if you leave the bugs on too long they'll ruin the paint too.

I guess if I could put wax on my car, the Windex would remove it.

Rather than using Windex wipes on your painted fascia to remove bugs, I suggest using a microfiber or diaper cotton cloth, pure distilled water and elbow grease while they are fresh, then some Meguiar's quick detailer. That's what I use on my painted front fascia to remove bugs.

Windex & paint =nono.gif

Guest UVETTYA

I guess if I could put wax on my car, the Windex would remove it.

Rather than using Windex wipes on your painted fascia to remove bugs, I suggest using a microfiber or diaper cotton cloth, pure distilled water and elbow grease while they are fresh, then some Meguiar's quick detailer. That's what I use on my painted front fascia to remove bugs.

Windex & paint =nono.gif

Why can't you put wax on your car?

And Oops! I just checked the Windex site and they say to avoid painted surfaces. :eek So you're right about that. Guess I better stop using the wipes.

I've only been doing that if there are just a few bug spatters, but if I have a lot of bugs I take it to a self serve car wash and blast them off with the power wash. I suppose you're going to tell me that's not a good idea either? :toetap

Aren't you worried about scratching the paint just using water and a diaper? I use the Windex wipes because the bugs don't like to come off very well with just water. Seems like you'd be grinding them in trying to get them off that way.

If I don't do the power wash thing I'll just hose down the front end with my handy dandy Mr. Clean Car Wash nozzle to soften them up a little, then gently wipe with a wash pad and lots of soapy water - then let it soak for a few minutes before rinsing. Then I get a little more aggressive with the wash pad and lots of soap, then rinse again. Sometimes it takes a third time to get them all off.

While we're talking about this... anyone tried a claybar yet? I claybar'd the front clip yesterday before waxing and I couldn't believe how much better the nose looks now. I got rid of all the imperfections that I thought were dings from bug imprints.

Steve

At Lowes they carry "Stainless Steel wipes" to clean and remove fingerprints from the new stainless appliances. They come in a pop-up dispenser that you could carry in the '83 Vette for quick clean ups.

Best way I have seen to get bugs off a car is to take a towl and soak it with HOT water and let that sit on the car over the bug guts.

Let it sit for a few minutes and then just wipe off the bugs.

Also WD-40 works on bug guts and road tar, but it removes wax.

Guest UVETTYA
Best way I have seen to get bugs off a car is to take a towl and soak it with HOT water and let that sit on the car over the bug guts.

Let it sit for a few minutes and then just wipe off the bugs.

Also WD-40 works on bug guts and road tar, but it removes wax.

Bryan, are the chrome wipes ok to use on painted surfaces?

I've heard of the hot towel trick, but I have CRS and never remember to try it. I'm a little skeptical about putting WD40 on my paint too. Isn't WD40 essentially kerosene?

I don't know if the stainless steel wipes would work on painted surface. I was just poking fun at Dan's Delorean again.

WD-40 is mostly kerosene, that is why it will strip wax. I have never heard of it hurting paint though.

The hot towel works wonders. I use it on my truck after it's picked up a months worth of bugs driving to Tucson and Safford and all those other trips.

Guest XLR8TNC5
DSC04195.jpg

Oh, by the way, I couldn't risk it getting dusty so I left the cover on. But you all can see it with the cover off Saturday.    :thumbs

I do believe this is the best I have EVER seen your car look Steve! LMAO... Im just kidding! Don't get your panties in a twist. Or maybe you can...its up to you and how you like them.... lol.

I just had to get you back for making us all so eager to see the shine on your Z and then posting a pic with the cover.....TEASE!

Take it easy and we will see ya tomorrow.

T

P.S. By the way, Steve, Dan does not have a Corvette. He has a Delorean and thus, the remarks about not using wax. I saw no one was giving you any hints here, so I thought I would be your hero and help you understand what he is talking about. YOU OWE ME!!

Guest UVETTYA
[P.S. By the way, Steve, Dan does not have a Corvette. He has a Delorean and thus, the remarks about not using wax. I saw no one was giving you any hints here, so I thought I would be your hero and help you understand what he is talking about. YOU OWE ME!!

Well thanks, but I'm still confused. Why doesn't he need wax on his Delorean?

Am I missing something here? I'm not always the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Steve

Guest UVETTYA
[P.S. By the way, Steve, Dan does not have a Corvette. He has a Delorean and thus, the remarks about not using wax. I saw no one was giving you any hints here, so I thought I would be your hero and help you understand what he is talking about. YOU OWE ME!!

Steve

Steve

Cause they're unpainted Stainless Steel bodied :)

3,503 lbs of trouble

You don't wax your kitchen sink do ya? :rolf

My DeLorean's outer skin consists of eight bare stainless steel body panels.

16192_a.jpg

You don't wax bare metal. Although I do polish it with an industrial stainless steel polish, and I actually use Windex as a "quick detailer". The front and rear fascias are painted. They can be waxed. I like Mothers Reflections, and I use Meguiar's quick detailer.

I've only been doing that if there are just a few bug spatters, but if I have a lot of bugs I take it to a self serve car wash and blast them off with the power wash. I suppose you're going to tell me that's not a good idea either?  :toetap
I don't see a problem with that.

Aren't you worried about scratching the paint just using water and a diaper? I use the Windex wipes because the bugs don't like to come off very well with just water. Seems like you'd be grinding them in trying to get them off that way.
Well, the microfiber or diaper cloths themselves will not scratch, and I'm using distilled (pure H2O) water as a solvent to soften up the bugs, so I don't know why there would be scratching as long as I'm not dry wiping the surface. People spritz Meguiar's quick detailer on their painted cars all the time, then wipe with those types of cloths, so what's the diff between water & the Meguiar's quick detailer as far as not scratching goes? Can someone tell me if I'm missing something here?

At Lowes they carry "Stainless Steel wipes"  to clean and remove fingerprints from the new stainless appliances.  They come in a pop-up dispenser that you could carry in the '83 Vette for quick clean ups.
Bryan - those stainless steel wipes may not be a bad idea.

Why can't you put wax on your car?

HAHAHAHA I was wondering if you were ever going to check Dans profile.... :crazy

Dan, some of the guys on the Meguiars forum say using the NXT metal polysh on thier SS fridges will remove finger prints and other smears for weeks...

dg13005_p1.jpg

We've got stainless appliances and Spencer's gave us a spray cleaner that works great on em. It would probably be like final detailer for SS.

3,503 lbs of trouble

I do need to be careful of what I do put on the panels. One of my fenders alone is worth more than a new stainless steel fridge. So far I've only gone with what other DeLorean owners or vendors have used or suggested.

Guest UVETTYA

Steve

Cause they're unpainted Stainless Steel bodied :)

Oh.

heh heh

I knew that. :leaving

Guest UVETTYA

You don't wax your kitchen sink do ya? :rolf

My DeLorean's outer skin consists of eight bare stainless steel body panels.

16192_a.jpg

You don't wax bare metal. Although I do polish it with an industrial stainless steel polish, and I actually use Windex as a "quick detailer". The front and rear fascias are painted. They can be waxed. I like Mothers Reflections, and I use Meguiar's quick detailer.

I've only been doing that if there are just a few bug spatters, but if I have a lot of bugs I take it to a self serve car wash and blast them off with the power wash. I suppose you're going to tell me that's not a good idea either?  :toetap
I don't see a problem with that.

Well, the microfiber or diaper cloths themselves will not scratch, and I'm using distilled (pure H2O) water as a solvent to soften up the bugs, so I don't know why there would be scratching as long as I'm not dry wiping the surface. People spritz Meguiar's quick detailer on their painted cars all the time, then wipe with those types of cloths, so what's the diff between water & the Meguiar's quick detailer as far as not scratching goes? Can someone tell me if I'm missing something here?

At Lowes they carry "Stainless Steel wipes"  to clean and remove fingerprints from the new stainless appliances.  They come in a pop-up dispenser that you could carry in the '83 Vette for quick clean ups.
Bryan - those stainless steel wipes may not be a bad idea.

Thanks Dan. I've probably heard somewhere along the way that the

Delorean was SS, but I had forgotten until Eddie mentioned it. :cone

As for scratching the paint, I guess if you get them softened up enough with water you'd be ok. I would think soap would work better, but we've already seen what happens when I think. :lol

Hey, do you suppose if Delorean wouldn't have spent so much money on cocaine he could have afforded paint? I've heard when you drive a Delorean down the street, the white lines disappear.

j/k :rolf

3,503 lbs of trouble
Hey, do you suppose if Delorean wouldn't have spent so much money on cocaine he could have afforded paint? I've heard when you drive a Delorean down the street, the white lines disappear.

nono.gif:)