NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

oil leaks

Guest clement

Guest clement

my corvette has a few leaks and i wanted to see if i can save some $$ without compromising quality of work. i have a quote for ~$900 from a chevy dealership for repairs. if anyone knows a better place to take my car in please reply. leaks are at lower intake manifold gasket and both valve cover gaskets. also it idles kindda rough... any input on this problem? i already replaced the idle air control valve and no help.

Guest UVETTYA

Frankly I haven't done a valve cover gasket for 20 years, but it can't be that hard. Nor should an intake manifold gasket be that complicated. I've done total rebuilds, but again, that was a loooong time ago. I wouldn't take it on myself without some help, but I'll help if someone with recent experience steps up.

As for the rough idle, it could just be plugs and wires.

If you don't want to DIY I'm sure someone can recommend a good shop. AZPS and ADS get mentioned here a lot.

Steve

Guest Simpson36

Sometimes a valve cover gasket (if there ARE in fact gaskets and not RTV) leaks can be solved by just snugging down the cover bolts.

A rough idle and oil leaks together might indicate a plugged PCV valve. The crankcase might be pressurized and pushing oil out of every tiny crack.

Sometimes a valve cover gasket (if there ARE in fact gaskets and not RTV) leaks can be solved by just snugging down the cover bolts.

A rough idle and oil leaks together might indicate a plugged PCV valve. The crankcase might be pressurized and pushing oil out of every tiny crack.

I agree. Sounds like a clogged PCV system.

Replace the PCV valve, any breather that it may have and check all the bolts for tightness.

If you get a bad PCV valve it can cause positive pressure in the crankcase to build up. At that point it will start pushing oil out every place that it can, weakest spots first. A good PCV valve keeps the crankcase ventilated and at a slight vacuum to help keep from pushing oil out. It's not the main intended reason for PCV but it's a major benefit.

The rough running can also be pointing to a leaking or stuck PCV valve.

Valve covers are much easier to replace than the intake. However on an LT4 you have to look at what is on, over, and in the way of the valve covers. All of that will have to come off or move out of the way. Also do the valve covers first and then clean the engine. Oil leaking from the covers can follow the intake down for a while and then leak from there, making it look like an intake leak. Sometime they follow the engine block all the way down to the oil pan and make it look like a pan or rear main seal leak. Do the covers first, if needed, and then clean the motor and look again after a while.

Here at the shop we see alot of dirty t-body's and I.A.C. valves. Those items would have to come off to do the intake man. gasket so they would be easy to properly clean at that point. That may take care of the rough idle and it won't cost hardly anything at the time of repairs. The intake man. is very easy on the LT-1 as there is no distributor or coolant to deal with and with all that upper eng. stuff out of the way the valve covers would be cake if done at the same time,while it is apart the p.c.v. valve should get replaced as well which is a 30 sec. affair. I wouldn't worry about a clogged p.c.v. passage as the tubes and passages on the LT-1 are almost too big to ever get clogged. Plus with todays motor oil technology (especially synthetic) it would be super rare to have that level of deposits in your motor. Hope this helps. Joe.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest clement

first of all, thanks to all that replied. i ordered a PCV valve and i was going to replace it today, but the PCV tube had numerous cracks at each end, so i had to order this as well. the old PCV valve did allow a small amount of air through the opposite way, so this was deemed as being faulty (it looks like it's the original part). won't get the tube until next week so i won't work on it until then. i was going to replace the valve cover gaskets at the same time (looks like a fairly easy thing to do, if given a ample amout of time and patience).. what do you guys think? should i replace them or not. the left side looks in good shape, no leaks. the right side looks like it may be leaking... actually most of the oil leaks are found at the valve cover bolts on the right side, but they're pretty tight.... so should i or shouldn't i? that is the question.

this sucks, cause i won't be able to bring my vette for the carwash tomorrow... i shouldn've taken it apart now, but i was bored.. maybe i'll stop by anyway (if i'm awake - i work the nightshift and usually i'm asleep at that time, even on my days off)

i appreciate the feedback..

clement

what do you guys think? should i replace them or not. the left side looks in good shape, no leaks. the right side looks like it may be leaking... actually most of the oil leaks are found at the valve cover bolts on the right side, but they're pretty tight.... so should i or shouldn't i? that is the question.

correct me if i'm wrong, but don't all LT1 and LT4 motors have CENTER BOLE valve covers? or am i imagining that? (i'd go out and look at the car if i were at home)

not trying to flame, just asnking a question

Guest clement

Chris,

You're probably right.. i made the mistake here. i was refering to the rocker arm covers not the valve covers. my bad.. I think i'll wait for the PCV tube, install that and clean the engine of any oil residues. hope the PCV valve was it and i don't have to go further into it. as indicated by some here, this may even correct my rough idle issue (i'm keeping my fingers crossed for this)

clement

Guest clement

i didn't have much time to spare - i just stopped by on my way to get luch (actually it was breakfast since i had just woken up). maybe next time, i'll have more time.

Sound like we need another Corvette Sunday at Melissa's house. With Clement and dss lt1, we'll be busy all day long... Maybe Dan will make it before everyone leaves this time......

Andrew

Guest clement

I work every Sunday, Monday, Tuesday + every-other Saturday (6PM - 6AM). This unfortunately makes it hard for me to hang out with the group (not much scheduled on my days off)