NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Forgot to feed the car

Guest waymirec

Guest waymirec

Car must have gotten overly hungry late friday night and decided to totally chew apart my S/C belt. Not sure if its a bracket issue (running the A&A bracket) or just that the belt gave out. It has been on there for close to 2yrs now. The car is in the very capable hands of AZPS and hopefully it'll be an easy fix

Was there any signs the belt was going? What exactly happened when the belt shreaded?

Just trying to understand and what to look for.

Phil... :devil

well at least you got 2 years out of yours!

i think i'm getting 8 or 9 miles to a belt on my car! :rolf

FYI - Mike if you read this (no hijack intended) i called A&A - they said my bracket will be on it's way today and have a tracking number for me as soon as it's shipped out!

hey Waymire - rumor is that andy has yet another new revision to his bracket due out next month - i say we would be 2 very different, yet good, candidates to test this for him! :D :burnout

Guest waymirec

I didn't notice any signs. Belt looked fine and gave no indication it was going to fail until it did so. Was coming off the 101 at the 35th ave exit and jumped on it. After I got off the gas I heard a clanking that at first I thought was the wheel sensor in my front passenger tire. That sensor is already destroyed enough where the tire is severely imbalanced and I thought maybe it just came completely loose. Babied the car the remaining 1/4 mile or so and parked it at my friends. When I went to leave I was going to just baby it all the way home.. got back to the 101 onramp and all hell broke loose. Ofcourse it did this at midnight in the middle of nowhere. It was too dark to see much but what I could see was the shiny metal where the belt should have been and a bunch of little 1/4" thin strips that used to comprise my belt.

Guest waymirec

FYI - Mike if you read this (no hijack intended) i called A&A - they said my bracket will be on it's way today and have a tracking number for me as soon as it's shipped out!

hey Waymire - rumor is that andy has yet another new revision to his bracket due out next month - i say we would be 2 very different, yet good, candidates to test this for him! :D :burnout

Yeah thats what Mike was telling me. I'm also wondering if the loss of power that I was experiencing at high load (5000+ RPMs) was due to the failing belt. Perhaps it was slipping.

Guest AZ Power & Sound

its great having all the top hp cars in the bay at the same time :D Drews is down here getting gauges today as well :) Phil stop by and get an oil change or something! :lol

I want to compare the bracket off Chris Rs car to Chris Ws car when it comes in to see what changes have come about... since the A&A belt cant be done on roadside I dont want it leaving here unless I know its gonna stick on!

its great having all the top hp cars in the bay at the same time :D Drews is down here getting gauges today as well :) Phil stop by and get an oil change or something! :lol

Mike I would stop by, but the car is home and I car pooled today in the Tahoe. :D

As for the belt replacement, I recall it was not very easy to put it on the A&A set up.

Mike where are you purchasing your belts? are you just messuring the old ones and buying from an auto parts store, or ordering from ATI/A&A? Just wanted to find out where to purchase so when I need one replaced someday.

You might consider checking your belts now and trying to read the parts #. When it fails it will always break at the part number or shreds the heck out of the belt. Keep the numbers in the ye old glove box and you always will know what you need. Might try that for the radiator hoses too

Guest XLR8TNC5

I was in the shop today and I saw both Chris cars sitting in the bay. Damn, those are some beauties. I hope all gets fixed for you both soon. I was thinking maybe I need to SC my car, but after hearing all these horror BELT storeis, I am thinking twice. lol. TWICE as in TT'S. lol. Nahhh, you all know me well enough to know I am too hell bent on an all motor 10second car someday. :crazy

Anywhooo, I hope these problems get fixed for you all real soon.

Take it easy,

Tanya

Yeah thats what Mike was telling me. I'm also wondering if the loss of power that I was experiencing at high load (5000+ RPMs) was due to the failing belt. Perhaps it was slipping.

what kind of boost were you seeing when you put down the 'lower' number....

If your boost was down.. then it maybe belt slip.

Guest AZ Power & Sound

its great having all the top hp cars in the bay at the same time  :D Drews is down here getting gauges today as well :) Phil stop by and get an oil change or something!  :lol

Mike I would stop by, but the car is home and I car pooled today in the Tahoe. :D

As for the belt replacement, I recall it was not very easy to put it on the A&A set up.

Mike where are you purchasing your belts? are you just messuring the old ones and buying from an auto parts store, or ordering from ATI/A&A? Just wanted to find out where to purchase so when I need one replaced someday.

the A&A kits SUCK to replace belts! requires removal of the alternator pulley, a large prybar, a big impact and many curse words im not used to saying! :D

Far as the belts go, Chris Rs belts have come from checker / autozone and I was lucky enough to have partial part numbers to order by... Chris Ws belt was chopped sushi unfortunatly, not to mention 8 rib with a custom blower pulley so I have to do some research with A&A tomorrow for belt sizing

Guest AZ Power & Sound
You might consider checking your belts now and trying to read the parts #. When it fails it will always break at the part number or shreds the heck out of the belt. Keep the numbers in the ye old glove box and you always will know what you need. Might try that for the radiator hoses too

this is the smartest advise in the world! even though there is supposedly a cross reference book for the counter at parts stores, no one seems to know how to use them... its always good to have a part number for every common brand name which ATI usually gives with their blower kits... I need to get a list from A&A though since it seems most have their conversion kits or their brackets

its great having all the top hp cars in the bay at the same time  :D Drews is down here getting gauges today as well :) Phil stop by and get an oil change or something!  :lol

the A&A kits SUCK to replace belts! requires removal of the alternator pulley, a large prybar, a big impact and many curse words im not used to saying! :D

Far as the belts go, Chris Rs belts have come from checker / autozone and I was lucky enough to have partial part numbers to order by... Chris Ws belt was chopped sushi unfortunatly, not to mention 8 rib with a custom blower pulley so I have to do some research with A&A tomorrow for belt sizing

the problem i have seen mike - and trust me i looked EVERYWHERE for a belt to atch the exact carquest specs (as that's where the belt from MTI came from) that's why i left you with the cardboard belt "holder" in the car.

the problem was that all the belts i looked at - checker, napa, auto zone, pep boys were either too short or too long - but that carquest one was the ONLY ONE i could find that was the exact size.

part number cross reference is useless - you have to have the measurements of the belt (number of ribs and total length) and in my personal experience there is NOT always a compatible belt.