NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

head light problem

sundevil82

i'm skeptical to order plastic ones - but metal ones are pricey - however, i hate to do this if it's already been done on my '99

i think ordering the metal ones would be best, and heck, if i already have them installed, i can just sell them!

Well, make up your mind. I'm going to place an order for plastic ones for Travis and myself. If anyone else wants some, speak now.

Steve

i think i'm gonna wait for the metal ones - when is the project date for this install?

i want to at least watch so i can learn for when i have to do mine notice i didn't say IF i have to do mine!

10 minutes to do this job - someone is smoking crack!  You've gotta be kidding.  I have a cut on the back of my right hand that is finally healing over and I did this job the week between Christmas and New Years. :bs

:withstupid I'm with Randy on this one. They are in no way a 10min job. I made the mistake of taking the entire headlight bucket out and then didn't pay attention to the linkage. I have one that's screwing up again but I just haven't gotten the desire up to tear into it again. Maybe after the seat project.

Eddie - I have recent experience with this job. I f**k'd up on my linkage too and wound up redoing it. If you want, I can work on your linkage while you and Phil work on the seats. The seats aren't more than a two person job at most.

I noticed you said you made the mistake of taking out the entire bucket....there is no other way that I can see to do this. Especially on the driver side - the motor casing opens away from the engine, how do you get to the gears? Besides, being able to work on the thing out on a work bench or on the floor makes it so much easier.

Chris - if you're gonna be there - you'll see what the job entails if Eddie wants to tackle it. I still maintain (with all due respect) metal gears are the only way to go. They may cost a little more, but it's worth not having to do this again. Also - if you ever plan to change out to anything like HID's or to the Euro lamps which use glass instead of plastic, the metal gears are the way to go - IMHO, of course! :yesnod

Eddie - I have recent experience with this job. I f**k'd up on my linkage too and wound up redoing it. If you want, I can work on your linkage while you and Phil work on the seats. The seats aren't more than a two person job at most.

I'd appreciate any help you can be. My driverside doesn't come up at all unless I manually pull it up. Once I pull it up it stays up. The pass side has it's own problems and I need a new motor on that side but don't want to pay a couple hundred bucks. I've been watching ebay but no luck yet.

If someone is going to do a headlight job/or gear I'd like to help/watch. I've got an 84 . no problems yet but it's always good to know how when something goes wrong. Just let me know when and where.

If someone is going to do a headlight job/or gear I'd like to help/watch. I've got an 84 . no problems yet but it's always good to know how when something goes wrong. Just let me know when and where.

Sounds like we'll be doing a couple of them Sunday the 12th at my house. I think right now we've got both a C5 and a C4 that need work.

The address is 13831 N. 30th St. (6th house north of Thunderbird on 30th St)

Anyone is welcome to come by and help, watch or just BS

Hey Eddie,

I'll plan on stoppin' by with the popcorn...

Just got my ride out of the shop this AM...got a tranny bearing replaced and a seal around the speedo sensor. Took it in to see about bushings, etc for the front - but didn't need it! Had 'em give the car a good overall inspection and she passed with flying colors. WHEW! Good thing too cuz I found out the warrany went over on the mileage.

$h!T....

I think Eddie was the one who told me that headlamp motor was originally used in the Fiero. :rolf

My son had an 85 Fiero and they are exactly the same. :eek

Reading, "All Corvettes are Red", they stated no carry over parts were used in C5 production, other than the door handles ?? :blink

eddie, what time do you plan on doing this?

10am and we'll be doing headlights and seats in my C5. I believe Chris has C4 headlight problems too. If you want to see how they're done come on by! Everybody's welcome.