400 sbc long block for my 82

82Vette'ster

I've been kicking around a new motor a few years now, 383 or 396 sbc stroker, etc. It just never seems to get off the ground. So when this 400 came up for sale I decided it would do for now. It's not perfect, but a good step up from the 200 hp stock L83 350.

I know its all old school, but so is my Vette.

400 sbc long block

-------------------------

GM 400 sbc block casting number: 3951509

Block is bored 0.020 over

Stock crank and rods

B&B Performance rod bolts

BME forged flat top pistons

Heads are GM L-82 Corvette heads, profesionally ported, polished, cc’ed, 2.02 intake valves installed.

Crane aluminum roller rocker arms (8) 1.5 ratio and (8) 1.6 ratio (on intake)

Valve springs are Crane dual springs.

Adapter plates for Hooker/Stalh large tube race headers.

Crane Cam shaft:

Intake and exhaust lifts with installed rockers .420-in and.509-exh.

Duration: 276°/284° (advertised), 214°/222° (at .050).

112° lobe centerline angle.

Crane hydraulic roller lifters, retrofit hardware, & push rods,

Crane double-row, true-rolling timing chain.

LT1/Z28 modified oil pump

Stock 400 SBC harmonic balancer

Remote oil filter

McLeod Street twin clutch

400 sbc correct flywheel - steel

Pressure plate

Disks and floater

GMPP roller pilot bearing

Extras that came with the engine

---------------------------------------

Engine stand

Mcleod High torque mini starter

Carter Mechanical fuel pump

Felpro gaskets: heads, intake, exhaust (4 sets), valve covers

Valve springs

Spare rocker arms one 1.5 and one 1.6

400 sbc pulleys

New belts

15 psi low oil pressure warning sender

Header bolts, dizzy hold down, and other misc.

It's used, but talking with the guy I think its still in pretty good shape. He's a decent guy, very knowledgeable, seemed honest. I'm always nervous buying used. That part's always a crap shoot. I took the chance, so we'll see how it turns out. (roll me a 7, baby needs a new pair of shoes).

I know you guys like to see pics....Sorry if they aren't very good

I just got it home.

Posted Image

Hydraulic roller cam...yea.....

Posted Image

Roller rockers

Posted Image

This is a really nice clutch, Mcleod street twin dual disk clutch, and it has quite a bit of meat left on it.

Posted Image

The remote oil filter is nice, I'm not sure, but I may add a filter and cooler to my plans

Posted Image

Quite a few extras came with it. I'll definitely use the mini starter, gaskets, etc.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now if I can just finish the suspension, I could get to the drive train (the fun part)

if there is any oil floating around you can send it into Blackstone (they dont need much). perhaps an old filter still attached.

looks good ... should wake up the 82 .... how much time is on the motor since the build ../?? the only thing I could see you mite consider is forged rods and aluminum heads .... mite help with the cooling ..... These babys run a bit on the hot side .... good luck with the project ... can't wait to here her runnin ..... :burnout:thumbs

WOW Chris! So thats the motor you were talking about Saturday. You left out the best part though...the T-56 Tremec for the 82. :partydance: That should be a blast with that 3.73 gear and the offset TAs with those wider 295 tires.

...... You left out the best part though...the T-56 Tremec for the 82. :partydance: .....

OK, Just had to find some Pics

This is the 6-speed LT1 T-56 transmission. It is a double overdrive type:

1st 2.66

2nd 1.78

3rd 1.30

4th 1.00

5th .74

6th .50

This version of the T-56 is rated at 450 ft-lb of torque. That's conservative. BW (now Tremec) determined that number by running max torque for 24 hours.

T-56 6-speed transmission

Posted Image

Here's some of the parts for the Vette (although the bellhousing might not fit)

The shifter is a short throw Hurst, pedals are standard C3, the big boot may get used to cover the tunnel opening.

Posted Image

I also have all the parts to put it into a Camaro. Which I'll probably sell off.

I already have a set of 3.73 gears in the rear. Which should work pretty good with the 0.5 6th. But, I am worried about turning them into scrap metal. And offset trailing arms to fit wider tires. 295s will fit, not sure how much wider.

if there is any oil floating around you can send it into Blackstone (they dont need much).

perhaps an old filter still attached.

He did have an oil analysis run bit before he pulled the motor. I'm not sure how read it. Aluminum and Iron were low. No filter, only an adapter on the motor. I might get some oil when I flip it over on a stand and pull the pan. They say they need 2.5 oz. I sent for a free collection kit.

I assume this is the place you're refering to:

Blackstone

looks good ... should wake up the 82 .... how much time is on the motor since the build ../?? the only thing I could see you mite consider is forged rods and aluminum heads .... mite help with the cooling ..... These babys run a bit on the hot side ....

good luck with the project ... can't wait to here her runnin ..... :burnout:thumbs

Some decent aluminum heads would be a good upgrade, unfortunately even a pair of reaonable heads would probably cost more than I paid for the whole engine. On the mileage, I know its got more miles than I'd prefer, but it was a good price. Mileage was about 30k.

I plan on running a leak down test and compression tests. I haven't decided if I'll pull the heads or not. I have spare head gaskets. I may hone and rering it if needs it.

What are going to do with the 350?

I might save it to swap it into my other 82. The one that's in pieces.

Oh man, I think I have to many projects

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not spending much time on this with the holidays and all.

I mounted my spare set of accesories on the motor and did some check fits on the SY-1. Looks like the valve covers will need the edge trimed regardless of which covers I use. The AIR pump and bracket are going to need some work. With this intake the AIR pump need to be moved forward. The distributor is still an issue, since I have an early model SY-1 there is no distributor clearance notch. The small cap distributor will help, but there's still a clearance issue.

Posted Image