NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

permanent Sirius antenna mounting

3,503 lbs of trouble

3,503 lbs of trouble

I love my Sirius satellite radio. The content is phenomenal, and not just because of Howard. The only drawback to the whole deal is the convenience factor. So far, I take the portable radar detector sized unit in and out of the car with me, and I set the antenna on the dash, so with every turn something is flying around. This is a P.I.T.A. to say the least. Unless I'm going on a longer drive, it's not worth the hassle, therefore I'm not getting my money's worth.

When I purchased my Sirius satellite radio, it obviously came with an antenna designed for permanent mounting if desired. I want to place it on the roof of the T-bird centered just forward of the rear glass, and run the long line in, tuck it under the upper trim, down the A pillar, into the dash and have the end appear out from the ash tray which perfectly holds the radio itself.

Since I purchased the radio from Radio Shack, they do not offer installation. Do any of you know a place where I can get the antenna mounted, yet not get bent over?

If you want to bring it by my house sometime we can take a look. How do you anticipate the antenna lead entering the veh? If it's on the roof you'd probably have to drill a hole in the roof as I don't think the rear window molding should be penetrated. If you do there will no doubt be a leak, especially in an older veh. I would suggest the rear deck between the trunk and rear window if there's room. Then you could run it into the trunk and up under the carpet. Either way we should be able to do w/o any problem.

3,503 lbs of trouble
If you want to bring it by my house sometime we can take a look. How do you anticipate the antenna lead entering the veh? If it's on the roof you'd probably have to drill a hole in the roof as I don't think the rear window molding should be penetrated. If you do there will no doubt be a leak, especially in an older veh. I would suggest the rear deck between the trunk and rear window if there's room. Then you could run it into the trunk and up under the carpet. Either way we should be able to do w/o any problem.

You're right, I don't want to drill any holes or compromise the rear window seal. I like your placement idea. If you think we can accomplish this, I'm up for giving it a try.

i'm pretty sure you don't have an externam 3rd brake light, but what i did in my buddies truck is remove the third brake light and place the magnet in the roof, and run the antenna wire into the cab through the opening for the brake light.

in my black vette, i have the antenna wrapped around the rear view mirror - so no sliding, and signal isn't bad either.

perhaps you should just put it on the truck instead of the roof and do as eddie suggests run the wire up underneath everything leaving enough "slack" to allow the truck to open and close without ripping the wire.

I leave my antenna on the dash of my work truck, and it seems to stay put pretty good.

If you want to keep it on the dash, have you thought about just putting some rubber feet on it to keep it from sliding around???

3,503 lbs of trouble
i'm pretty sure you don't have an externam 3rd brake light, but what i did in my buddies truck is remove the third brake light and place the magnet in the roof, and run the antenna wire into the cab through the opening for the brake light.
Unfortunately my third brake light is built into my spoiler, otherwise that would have been a great idea.

perhaps you should just put it on the truck instead of the roof and do as eddie suggests run the wire up underneath everything leaving enough "slack" to allow the truck to open and close without ripping the wire.
So far I think that's the plan. :thumbs

3,503 lbs of trouble
I leave my antenna on the dash of my work truck, and it seems to stay put pretty good.
Mine goes flying around the passenger compartment with every turn.

If you want to keep it on the dash, have you thought about just putting some rubber feet on it to keep it from sliding around???
No, but I considered getting a Dash Mat, having a square piece of metal attached to it, then placing the magnetic antenna on the metal piece so it would stay put. Still I have a feeling I'll get better reception if I actually mount it on the exterior rather than simply placing it on the dash.

3,503 lbs of trouble

That is pretty cool. Mine came with a suction cup mount for the windshield, but it's a P.O.S. I tried it on the windshield, and on the visor with a visor mount too, but I discovered a better place. My radio actually fits perfectly in my unused ash tray. The unit sits deep inside it, and it holds it at the perfect viewing angle just below my stereo. I just need to get the antenna situated, and I think I will have a set up that's easy to deal with.

I think I'm going to keep the suction mount in your link in mind for the DeLorean when I get a Sirius radio for it.

3,503 lbs of trouble
I put my xm magnetic antenna on top of the gas tank. I get three bars, even inside the garage.

You mean over the gas tank on the exterior of the car, right?

Guest freedom25

No, on top of the fuel tank in my vette. Its the largest steel object in the car (outside of the frame I suppose). Its my understanding that the body of the car (or whatever steel object you attach the antenna to) becomes the antenna.

3,503 lbs of trouble

No, on top of the fuel tank in my vette. Its the largest steel object in the car (outside of the frame I suppose). Its my understanding that the body of the car (or whatever steel object you attach the antenna to) becomes the antenna.

Wow... let me give that one some thought.

Wow... let me give that one some thought.

i disagree - as i have my antenna mounted on the outside of my truck (just above my rear side window - if this theory was in fact correct, that would mean that MOST of the cab of my truck would become the antenna - however, at starbucks the other day at the drive thru, i lost the signal completely as the antenna was facing the building (it's mounted on the side not the roof)

so i think i just busted that myth! :lol

i think i just busted that myth! :lol

888251098602808_home.jpg

Dawg or Phil, you need to place TOGO in the middle of that picture.

I believe it's called a ground plane when you put the antenna in the middle of a large metal object like the roof. It doesn't act as the antenna but it does improve the antenna's reception.

Guest freedom25

I dunno...seems to me that a ground plane is a necessary part of the reception system, hence- an integral part of the antenna.

Spliting hairs- maybe. I know it works well on the gas tank.

I dunno...seems to me that a ground plane is a necessary part of the reception system, hence- an integral part of the antenna.

Spliting hairs- maybe. I know it works well on the gas tank.

My XM antenna is on a piece of angle iron that runs along the back of the C5 (behind the tailights) and it works fine w/o what I would consider a ground plane.

OK Ground planes only applied to things like FM/AM & CB antenna's.

The satellite antenna will still benefit from a large metal surface mounting but its now more to help it directionally than it is to boost its receptive quality's.

Mounting the sat. antenna to the gas tank UNDER the fiberglass of the vette is ok, but you can't mount in under a metal trunk lid or other metal layers...

Oh and heres a quicky.....