NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Battery Keeps dying!

pcassano

I have repaetedly taken my 1988 to a shop near my home, N. Phoenix and they keep telling me that the car doesn't show any electrical draw when the car is turned off, yet within a day or so the battery is dead? I have even had the battery replaced and no luck.

I went and ordered the device from corvette America that allows you to have a quick disconnect and just a tickle charge for the radio and that doesn't work either...

Help!!! I need a recommendation of a really good repair shop in North Phoenix, by Desert Ridge Marketplace.....

P's 88

The best way to track down a battery draw is to do the following.

remove the negative battery cable from the battery and put a volt / amp meter between the cable and the battery. You will see a draw of amps on the meter. Now pull each fuse from the fuse block and put it back in and note which circuit is the one pulling the amps. I would pull the radio fuse first and leave it out, it's always going to pull some power. Track down the other circuit that is draining the battery and then look at what devices are on that circuit that could be causing problems.

I remember that other members have mentioned that the glove box does not shut the light off when the door is closed. I doubt that would drain the battery in one day.

You might want to check that.

Phil... :devil

i agree with bryan

this came up in C5 tech a couple weeks ago and they suggested EXACTLY what bryan is suggesting.

if that doesn't work for you - you can contact our 2 "resident" mechanics Joe (sloryde) or mike (AZPower&Sound) neither of which are on the north side of town - they are both in the tempe area and i can vouch for BOTH shops, as both my vettes have been to both shops.

Joe actually drives a C4 (Grand Sport) so may have more first hand knowledge about what is going on - however, mike is going to gain experience in this EXACT issue, as my C5 has the same problem - mike says it takes about 3 days for the battery to drain completely!

I remember that other members have mentioned that the glove box does not shut the light off when the door is closed. I doubt that would drain the battery in one day.

Known issue witht he C5's. Not sure about the C4's though. I got bit by the glove box gremlin.

3,503 lbs of trouble

Again, sometimes Vettes, and that's all generations, simply drain batteries with no traceable cause. It's a common thing. Do you best to find the source, but if you don't at some point you have to stop looking and simply cope with it. A trickle charger may be in your future.

The glove box light is off..... I have even disconnected the light....still drains.

Hood lights? The switch could be stuck. Check the car in the dark (if in the garage) or turn off all outside lights (if outside). If I leave my hood up w/o disconnecting thehood lights it's dead in about 2-3 hours. Just a thought. Good luck, Robert

Guest 1FASTC4

I have a similar problem. Haven't had time to track it down. The inline ammeter seems to be the thing to do. I just leave mine on a trickle.