NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

F'ing termites

3,503 lbs of trouble

3,503 lbs of trouble
Anybody know the name of the storage company the offers small containers that they drop off at your house? Not those big assed metal Mini Mobile containers. I saw a commercial for smaller ones, but I don't remember who the company was. I need one large enough to fit the contents of my condo for a few weeks.

:banghead  :cuss  :mad  :angry

What you got going on there Dan?

Unfortunately nothing good.

I'm the president of my HOA. I got an urgent call from our property manager today. Seems one of the residents in my building was pulling up the linoleum in their kitchen to install ceramic tile. Well, what they found under there was severe termite damage. Our exterminator came out for a look and said they were not your average subterranean variety. I guess they are some sort of "flying" termites not common here. One theory is that they were already in the wood when it came here from CA 20 years ago when the place was built. All I know is, regardless of how they got here, THEY ARE HERE, and have already caused severe damage to that unit. We were told simply spraying will not help, and that we must tent the building and poison them for 5 days, THEN inspectors have to come in some of the other units and tear out some floor or wall to see how wide spread the damage is, and fix it all.

I don't want all my possessions saturated with insecticide for 5 days, then vulnerable to countless people I don't know having access to my unit for inspections, repairs etc. So, I plan to pack up my condo, move the contents into storage, find a place for the DeLorean, then I'll have to find a place to stay. They say 5 days, but who knows. I just got news of this today, so until we get a termite expert and a state inspector to assess the situation, I don't know what will happen. I'm just trying to think ahead. If I get a Pod, I can place it in our RV lot just outside my garage. I just wonder how secure they are.

Since I'm President, I'm also going to have to deal with telling the residents of all the other units in my building that they must find another place to stay for a week as well. This is not going to be fun.

:mad :cuss

I had an exterminator tell me most areas of the valley has or will have termites. He says ever since they outlawed the chemical that used to be used they are on the rise. Used to be they treated houses during construction and you'd never see a termite. Not anymore! The SE Valley isn't as prone to them since that has been farm land for decades but the NE and W valley are really going to have them. According to this guy the areas that were desert and was freshly plowed for building are the worst. He seemed pretty knowledgeable.

Good Luck with your little problem!

3,503 lbs of trouble

Thanks. I was just reading about Vikane gas. If there is no residue that is comforting, but I still do not feel comfortible allowing many strangers access to my home when I'm not around. I guess we will see how I will deal with that. Nevertheless, I will need to find a secure place to keep the DeLorean.

I had an exterminator tell me most areas of the valley has or will have termites. He says ever since they outlawed the chemical that used to be used they are on the rise. Used to be they treated houses during construction and you'd never see a termite. Not anymore! The SE Valley isn't as prone to them since that has been farm land for decades but the NE and W valley are really going to have them. According to this guy the areas that were desert and was freshly plowed for building are the worst. He seemed pretty knowledgeable.

not entirely true - i had termites at my house - had the "termite warranty" used 4 times for treatment of tubes in my garage.

my house was over by Phils - val vista and williams field.

the farm land was prime for termites - old barns, wooden fences, trees, etc.

and people wonder why i wanted to sell my house and move into an apartment!

at least i don't have to deal with the repercussions of termite damage! :leaving

I already had a termite exterminator for an early sign of them entering the garage. Was expensive to treat but better early then later. :toetap

Good luck Dan.

3,503 lbs of trouble
I already had a termite exterminator for an early sign of them entering the garage. Was expensive to treat but better early then later. :toetap

Good luck Dan.

We are getting a legal opinion, but as fas as I know the HOA is responsible for the extermination, inspection and repair costs since the damage falls in a common area. What they do not cover is where I'm going to stay for the week or more while I don't have access to my home. I'm stuck on both sides of this issue. As President, I cringe at the thought of the cost to put the residents of 9 units in a hotel for a week or more, but on the other hand as an owner it does not seem fair that I will get stuck with the cost of alternate accommodations due to an Association maintenance issue. Part of me feels like the Association should provide a comparable place to stay if something they need to do leaves me unable to occupy my home even though I'm still paying association fees for that time.

:banghead

We are getting a legal opinion, but as fas as I know the HOA is responsible for the extermination, inspection and repair costs since the damage falls in a common area. What they do not cover is where I'm going to stay for the week or more while I don't have access to my home. I'm stuck on both sides of this issue. As President, I cringe at the thought of the cost to put the residents of 9 units in a hotel for a week or more, but on the other hand as an owner it does not seem fair that I will get stuck with the cost of alternate accommodations due to an Association maintenance issue. Part of me feels like the Association should provide a comparable place to stay if something they need to do leaves me unable to occupy my home even though I'm still paying association fees for that time.

Welcome to politics Mr President! :D

Welcome to politics Mr President! :D

This is as good as The West Wing.....

So tell us Dan,

How is this turning out???? Any other news?????

Andrew

3,503 lbs of trouble
How is this turning out???? Any other news?????
We had to have an attorney review our CC&Rs to get a legal opinion on the situation. I will get the results of that tomorrow. So, I'm still waiting to hear.

3,503 lbs of trouble

Good news & bad news...

The bad news is it looks like the building will have to be tented and fumigated. The good news is there was a miscommunication, and my building is not the one where the termites were discovered. It's the building next door. So, I will have to chip in for the treatment, but I will not have to move out for a week. Still, I'm so close to that building I may still want to spend a few nights elsewhere just to be safe.

PHEW!!

I just hope that we do not discover the same infestation in my building, or any others for that matter. A special assessment to tent all the buildings at almost $100 a pop out of each of our pockets is something I want to avoid!

Good News! I'd go with the exterminating co's advise. Any reputable co is going to warn you if theres reason to leave your building. Liability the way it is they should go overboard with the warning.

Guest UVETTYA

I hope I'm not grinching you but I had subterranian termites and they told me when they treated my house that the termites would just migrate to my neighbors house if it wasn't treated. I know these are different termites so the situation may be different.

Steve

3,503 lbs of trouble
I hope I'm not grinching you but I had subterranian termites and they told me when they treated my house that the termites would just migrate to my neighbors house if it wasn't treated. I know these are different termites so the situation may be different.

We had a problem with subterranean termites (I think in that building) about 6-8 years ago. We didn't tent the building that time, but we spot treated it, and we treated all the rest of the buildings as well as a preventive measure. I remember we had to allow the exterminators access to our garages so they could drill into the earth, plant the poison, and replace the concrete. We have an extermination company on contract who monitors the property for signs of subterranean termites. We have been told that there is no way to take precautions for airborn termites, but they are rare here.