NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Scottsdale 101 cameras may be coming down

Togo

Senate panel pushes freeway-camera ban

Amendment would let city finish project

Casey Newton

The Arizona Republic

Jan. 25, 2006 12:00 AM

The ability of Scottsdale and other Arizona cities to put speed-enforcement cameras on state highways won a small reprieve Tuesday in a Senate Transportation Committee hearing.

But the committee recommended approval of a bill that would prohibit the use of the technology on state highways. The bill could reach a floor vote as early as next week.

Sen. Thayer Verschoor, R-Gilbert, said he would agree to amend his bill to ensure Scottsdale can complete a nine-month demonstration it began this week on Loop 101. "The intention of this was not to stop the current program that the City of Scottsdale is running," Verschoor said.

advertisement

Scottsdale, which has installed the cameras on a 7.8-mile stretch between the 90th Street and Scottsdale Road exits, is the first city in the nation to put the speed-enforcement cameras on a freeway.

Scottsdale Police Chief Alan Rodbell told lawmakers that a similar speed-enforcement project on Frank Lloyd Wright Boulevard has reduced speeding violations dramatically since it was installed in 2004.

But the committee voted 4-1 to recommend banning photo enforcement on freeways, with Sen. Victor Soltero dissenting. Soltero, D-Tucson, said he voted no in support of Scottsdale, which opposes the legislation.

Bridget Schwartz-Manock, Scottsdale's governmental relations director, asked the committee to delay a vote on future photo-enforcement efforts until after the demonstration is complete. "We do hope you might delay this decision until next session, when you have some really good information in your hands," she said.

Michael Merrill, a Scottsdale neighborhood activist, argued that the cameras should be removed immediately. He said a study last year by the Arizona Department of Transportation concluded that the systems are inappropriate for freeways.

Scottsdale's program began to issue warnings on Sunday to drivers caught going 76 mph or faster. Beginning Feb. 22, speeders will receive fines that will average $157.

Scottsdale asks state lawmakers not to cancel 101 cams

Posted: 01/26/2006 07:00:06

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) -- Don't pull the plug on freeway cameras. That plea from Scottsdale leaders to state lawmakers. This week, the Senate Transportation Committee voted 4-to-1 to approve a bill outlawing the use of cameras to nab speeders on state highways.

Scottsdale Mayor Mary Manross says it's not a very thoughtful or forward thinking piece of legislation.

Senator Thayer Verschoor says he's strongly opposed to the use of cameras on state highways, adding cities and towns have no business on state roads.

Verschoor says highway cams are no substitute for "rational thinking" by law enforcement officers.

Some lawmakers say they'll consider tacking on an amendment that would allow Scottsdale to continue the program until October.

(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Personally I think the state should invest the $$ in crews that would remove boxes from the 101! :D

Personally I think the state should invest the $$ in crews that would remove boxes from the 101! :D

And other misc junk :cuss

Just got mine out of the shop.

Well what i was thinking was that the 1st 30 days are a freebee 'grace' period.... they will only send you a 'warning' ticket...

Wonder what would happen if I went though there at 180.....

Another question... if you went through there faster than the speed of light... could it still take your picture.... *New mod for Blackula..... HyperDrive..

Well what i was thinking was that the 1st 30 days are a freebee 'grace' period.... they will only send you a 'warning' ticket...

Another question... if you went through there faster than the speed of light... could it still take your picture.... *New mod for Blackula..... HyperDrive..

I think Stealth mode would be a bit more fun than hyperdrive.

I think Stealth mode would be a bit more fun than hyperdrive.

stealth mode would be easier to accomplish - all you'd have to do is get a vacuum operated mechanism (i've seen this on several car show cars) that folds down your license plate.

then it's "semi" stealth! :D

Guest XLR8TNC5

LMAO!!! EXACTLY!! Because the GD dealer /bodyshop is making big ol profits from it.....lol.

P.S. By the way, I got my car back on the 18th! My b-day!!! What a PITA!

Tanya

Personally I think the state should invest the $$ in crews that would remove boxes from the 101!  :D

LMAO!!! EXACTLY!! Because the GD dealer /bodyshop is making big ol profits from it.....lol.

P.S. By the way, I got my car back on the 18th! My b-day!!! What a PITA!

Tanya

hmmm, maybe it's a conspiracy - perhaps the body shops are planting stuff on the freeways like that? wouldn't be too hard - just load up the back of a truck with boxes and concrete thingys and have someone lay down in the back and randomly throw stuff out. :leaving

hmmm, maybe it's a conspiracy - perhaps the body shops are planting stuff on the freeways like that? wouldn't be too hard - just load up the back of a truck with boxes and concrete thingys and have someone lay down in the back and randomly throw stuff out. :leaving

Hmm, maybe we should investigate! Anyone know a good investigator??? :lol:lol

i think channel 3 has a good investigative reporter :leaving

A good instigator? Yeah - I know a few! :D

Guest 1FASTC4

During the time when they are only issuing warnings I am going to replace my plate with a sign that says "Fuck you" then I'm going to drive up and down that stretch at about 160.

This will amuse me because I'm immature and juvenile.

I heard the other day from one of my fellow employees that there were Motorcycle Cops sitting just south of the "trial" zone. They were stopping people right and left that thought it was free game.

I heard the other day from one of my fellow employees that there were Motorcycle Cops sitting just south of the "trial" zone. They were stopping people right and left that thought it was free game.

doesn't that kind of defeat the main purpose of the cameras then?

gee let's see just how many tickets we can give out - 4 or so for the people just flying through (as they get caught by each camera) then one more for good measure from the motor cop - someone's losin' a license! :burnout

During the time when they are only issuing warnings I am going to replace my plate with a sign that says "Fuck you" then I'm going to drive up and down that stretch at about 160.

:agree

I love that thinking!

:D

During the time when they are only issuing warnings I am going to replace my plate with a sign that says "Fuck you"  then I'm going  to drive up and down that stretch at about 160.

:agree

I love that thinking!

:D

heard a fella on the radio the other day who said he set his cruise control on 85mph and drove through them all flippin "the finger salute" as they flashed, since they were just hading out warnings.