NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Skunk Smell

Jim-Vette

Hi all!

I keep smelling a skunk smell from my car. It isn't always there. Kinda comes and goes. I don't remeber running over a skunk, lol.

I did recently have my belt changed, could it be slipping and causing that smell?

Thanks all!

James

3,503 lbs of trouble
I keep smelling a skunk smell from my car. It isn't always there. Kinda comes and goes. I don't remeber running over a skunk, lol.

Is it coming from your interior, or from outside?

Honestly,,

I can't tell... Sometimes i think mebbe from the air cond. I really dont' know for sure though. I just think it is wierd that if I let it set for a few days it goes away. Then if i drive it, it comes and goes... I could smell it kinda strong near the alternator and belt area.

catalytic converters have a smell, but more like rotten eggs, than a skunk.

and that could explain why the smell comes back when driving.

don't know about your particular situation, but just offering my 2 cents.

After driving it, open the hood and smell around the alternator. If the belt is too tight you might be smelling the belt or alternator bearing/pulley burning up. I wouldn't call it a skunk smell but perhaps a burning electrical smell?

Check your play on the belt but the damage might have already been done :crazy

If it doesn't smell under the hood try turning up the a/c to high. GM's tend to get a musty odor in the a/c when your drain is clogged.

Well James :toetap

Did you find the skunk and evict the little bastard??? Remember your problems today are our problems tomorrow and we all like to hear the cure.

Well James :toetap

Did you find the skunk and evict the little bastard??? Remember your problems today are our problems tomorrow and we all like to hear the cure.

expecially with a skunk involved! :ack

Hey there!

I still have that smell. I just got back from a trip to LA. I have noticed it only does it after driving for a while.. I have no idea what it is. I'm not to worried about it cause everything is working fine.

Mebbe it is that grease we used on the sway bar! LOL

James

I think it's the cats too, and the octane fuel your using...

:withstupid I will get a "smell" on occasion coming from the cats, and I agree with Andrew, it could be the type of fuel and who makes it.

• 2 weeks later...

Try locating the air handling system drain....you have a mold problem in your condenser drain area...after unplugging, try injection a 50/50 bleach solution to flush it out :flag