NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Engine rebuild recommendation (shop)

chevy69

I'm getting close to pulling my engine out of my '69 coupe and need to get some advice on where to get it rebuilt. I live in Chandler. It is a correct 350HP 350, so I really want to make sure it gets done right. I will pull it and take it to the rebuilder. Also, please give me ideas on what I might need to spend (what is reasonable). I want to keep it basically "stock". Thanks :thumbs

CBA is in Chandler. They are on Arizona Ave, east side of the road between Galveston and Erie.

The price all depends on the work needed. If one cylinder needs more work than another, if the crank needs to be turned, if they find cracks -- the list can go on and on. They should be able to give you an estimate over the phone. At the least it will need to be hot tanked, new freeze plugs installed, new cam bearings, bored and honed and maybe have them assemble the piston and rods. Personally I would have it all balanced as well.

Thanks Brian.

Is anyone familiar with Basko Engine Service in Gilbert? Clint from Muscle Car Garage recommended them. I've only been in Chandler for 1.5 yrs, so I have no experience with many of the shops locally.

BTW, anyone have any experience with Muscle Car Garage?

Thanks again! Tom

Thanks Brian.

Is anyone familiar with Basko Engine Service in Gilbert? Clint from Muscle Car Garage recommended them. I've only been in Chandler for 1.5 yrs, so I have no experience with many of the shops locally.

BTW, anyone have any experience with Muscle Car Garage?

Thanks again! Tom

i had the machine work done on my stroker at basko.

GOOD GUYS - quality work (so it looks to me) and ON time - and the price wasn't that bad i don't think.

they were recommended to me by a friends dad who builds 32 ford roadsters with SBC engines! :D

B&B Machine does good work. They are on Broadway and Dobson....

We also had Wilkes do a bottom end of a 425 and they did a good job. They don't have a clean room and the place looks kinda messy but they did a good job....

Andrew

I called Basko and spoke with them. They seemed good to talk to. He asked if it was an actual 350hp motor, which it is. He said w/o looking at it it's hard to estimate. If it needs "everything" it would fall somewhere between $3000 - $3500. If it's not bad inside, he said it could be considerably less.

I guess the tough part about the higher end ($3000-$3500) is that I paid $3200 for a complete, new crate motor in my 1938 Dodge Coupe Street Rod (350 HO deluxe). I would feel guilty about putting a NOM in, however, because the car is really complete. I'm sure I'm not the first guy to be faced with this decision.

I'm going to check with a couple of the other shops as well. I noticed that the Mustang club (yes, my son has a Mustang - I'll admit it) gives Basko the nod as well. I don't mind spending the money if I get what I'm paying for..

Sorry... I'm clearly rambling here :rolleyes

Basko tend to build his motors loose... so they make more power.. but they also consume more oil and make more noise....

Ask KingPin.... he has a basko motor and hates it.... sounds like a sewing machine... 15k well spent

I would recommend ADS for your build. Doug is a Master Engine Builder and has built many engines powering cars to the 8's....

just my 2 cents - even though it's not worth a nickel.

if it were my car and i wanted to keep it original, i'd yank the stock motor and work on a SLOW rebuild taking my time and doing it right, however, in the mean time, so i could drive it, i'd throw in that crate motor you speak of.

then when it comes time to sell the car, pull the crate out and put in your fresh numbers matching motor. then you have the best of both worlds - cheap drivability NOW and numbers matching motor for later to sell.

Well, I'm about ready to haul it in. I haven't finalized where yet, but now that it's strapped in the back of my truck, I'll step up my decision process. I'll attempt to post a couple of pics (below). Hope it works the same here as the Corvette Forum. My 15 yr old son was a huge help, and worked all day with me in the garage to get it out (he got some time in on his '70 Mustang as well). :thumbs

e19d603b.jpg

DSC01479.jpg

DSC01483.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

For what's it's worth...I used Basko's in Gilbert as well and I'm very satisfied so far with the motor. It sounds awesome and tight. The only complaint I would have with them is that it took 5 1/2 months to complete all the work I had done, but so far well worth it. this is just my opinion though.

Call Scotty at CBA (Not HBA) if you have not decicded on a builder yet. He built my 383 and it has performed flawlessly.