NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Stock 1982 Strut rods I-beam or round?

Guest Simpson36

Guest Simpson36

Time for another newbie question.

I see an add on ebay for stock 82 vette strut rods and they are clearly I-beam shaped.

Mine were replaced by the Vette Shop and they are just round bars.

Which is correct?

Also, the end of the bar which is attached to the bracket in the center seems to really be cocked at an angle . . i.e. it appears to not line up even close to the bolt.

Is that normal?

I have only seen round ones. Never seen any others.

Dwayne - go look under your 1982.

I know that the stock small round ones bend easily. My original right left side one bent just racing in an autocross event. I had a camber problem that would not go away and I saw that it had a bow in it from one side to the other.

I swapped in a new set from Mid America that are bigger, they are tubular instead of small solid lengths and the new ones had poly bushings instead of rubber. The set runs about $125.00 for the pair.

Also, the end of the bar which is attached to the bracket in the center seems to really be cocked at an angle . . i.e. it appears to not line up even close to the bolt.

The reason it's sitting at an odd angle is your bushings are shot... Or if you can actually see a twist in the rod itself, let me know, you can have the stock round ones I took off of mine.

I remember reading somewhere about the I beam ones, I think they were magnesium or some other odd metal. Let me do some looking to find the info on them again...They were used in the last of the model year run or something like that....

You know --- I think the C4's were aluminum and I shaped. Maybe someone has those on eBay and they just have them labeled wrong. Wouldn't be the first time someone on eBay doesn't know what they are selling.

Guest Simpson36

Dawg:

Man, I hope the bushing aren't shot, they are new!!

The Vette Shop had to pull the rear to replace all of the diff seals so I asked them to throw in new bushings as long as they had the struts out.

Without asking, they instead put in ALL NEW bars, NEW camber adjusters, and even a NEW center bracket!! Nothing was wrong with the old parts, and the new set was something like $180.

The owner said the old parts were OK, but that it was 'easier' to put in new stuff rather than mess around pressing bushings.

So while I don't remember what the original bars looked like. and it may be my imagination, but I recall seeing pictures of stock '82 bars and they weren't straight. one or both ends had a slight bend near the bushing end. The new ones on my car now look straight.

What's the scoop?

I'll try to take a look at my old ones tomorrow, and I will let you know what they look like...

One big suggestion, Stay away from that shop!!! :mad

They should have given you all the old parts back, and you shouldn't have paid for work you didn't pre-approve...