NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

ASU / NFL player gets record elk in N. Arizona

BSeery

P2_h_fea_458wide_Patterson2.jpg

Through his years as a defensive lineman at Arizona State University and with the Green Bay Packers, Shawn Patterson has grown accustomed to seeing things on a grand scale.

Big stadiums, big crowds, big offensive lineman and the challenge of winning big games.

But last fall Patterson found himself staring down his biggest challenge, yet ? the chance to arrow a typical bull elk in northwestern Arizona that would rock the hunting world, if not the record books.

When the shot was loosed from his bow, the 41-year-old Patterson had done just that, harvesting a brute of a wapiti the likes of which no other bowhunter has ever tagged.

The Patterson bull, a clean 7x7 typical, has been given 60-day entry scores of 423 6/8 inches gross and 414 0/8 inches net.

Should that net score be upheld during panel scoring at the 2007 Pope & Young Club convention next April in Lancaster, Pa., the Patterson bull appears set to ascend to the wapiti throne by overtaking the current archery-elk standard ? a 409 2/8-inch Montana monster tagged by legendary bowhunter Chuck Adams in 2000.

Patterson, who played in Green Bay from 1988-93 and now builds homes while residing in Chandler, Ariz., said he still sports a big grin on his face after tagging the bull of a lifetime.

"I'm a deer in the headlights," he laughed. "When I think about it, my eyes glaze over, my mouth is wide open, and I think, 'Wow, what an incredible experience.'

"It never ceases to bring me to a place of total humility and awe to be able to harvest an animal like that."

While taking such a bull is indeed an unforeseen blessing, Patterson had reason to have his 2005 bowhunting hopes set high after drawing a prime Arizona elk tag, only his second in 12 years of trying.

"Last year was a great year of rain," Patterson said. "Actually, it was the second year of rain, so the animals were recovering from eight years worth of drought.

"With all of that moisture, their bodies (and antlers) were ready to explode. There were huge elk everywhere."

ESPN.com Linky to much more info

I hope that isn't one of those $10,000 dollar indian elks.

You know the kind where you hand the indians $10,000 and they point to an elk that just happens to be standing there.. the indian say's "shoot him, and don't worry about the chains around his neck".....

:leaving