NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

What to do about loose shaft in TB

Guest Simpson36

Guest Simpson36

I'm checking out the Cross Fire system now and I notice the shafts, particularly the right (linkage) side of the rear TB are loose.

Is this a serious problem and if so, what's the best cure?

I don't know if it would be a serious issue other than it would cause a vacuum leak. The computer should compensate for more air going into the runners possibly causing a little higher idle. I think they sell just the shaft but I?m not sure. Might as well just get a new T/B or find a used one that is a little tighter?.

Andrew

Any fuel inj. engine without a mass airflow sensor (speed density). Relies on engine vacuum for air/fuel tuning. The manifold absolute pressure sensor measures engine vacuum and tunes accordingly. High vacuum (idle & cruise) gets less fuel. Low vacuum (acceleration & passing) gets more fuel. Leaky throttle shafts will lower vacuum and cause the computer to send more fuel all the time. You can bring the t-body to a carburetor rebuild shop to have it re-bushed. They will bore out the shaft holes and install brass bushings (similar in thoery and process as valve guide replacement). We haven't had to get this done for quite a while as newer t-body's have bearings rather than bushings. We used to use Rod's Carb's in Phx. (19th. ave. & McDowell) but we havn't done that in a while. They were good but like TV repair shops, carburetor shops have been closing down. You should get it taken care of and if Rod's is still open I would use them. See Ya Joe.

What he said.

Take them off and get the bushings replaced at a carb shop. Call them and make sure they can do the work before yanking them off the car.

Or, look around for a rebuilt or rebuildable pair and have those overhauled and just replace yours.

I would contact Dan from the CFI forum at this link...

Lionsden

He does rebuilding as well as boring of the TB's, you can probably buy the parts you need from him... I have a set he bored a few years ago, Top Quality work... :thumbs

If you pull the TB's off the intake, your going to have to re-balance them when you put it back together.

Guest Simpson36

I found rebuild kits, but can't tell from the pic if it has any type of seals or bushings to fix the shaft.

Anyone know?

If you rebuild your old t-body the shaft holes will have to be bored out. If you don't have the proper equipment (a drill press with the correct size mill/bore bit and a vise that bolts down to the drill press) then you should have a carb. shop do it. The equipment will be more expensive than what they will charge for the work. joe.

Guest Simpson36

Sloryde:

In my past life I had a small machine shop where I made industrial prototypes of all kinds as part of my job (engineering). I even had a small furnce for heat treating, so I'm not timid about tacking interesting projects. Automotive stuff was strickty a hobby, but I have built lots of engines, ported heads and manifolds and so forth.

You do have an excellent point about having the proper equipment. I kept my dial indicaotrs, calipers, a few cutting bits and reams, die grinder and such, but the mill and the lathe and the other good stuff are long gone <tear runs down face>.