NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Not about a Vette.....

anmracing2

Can anyone out there answer this one for me...

A friend of mine, has a car called a Mustang (I think it's a Ford :P )and he said that he is having trouble with it not going into fourth or overdrive. He said plenty of trans fluid so I doubt that's the prob. Other than having to get a different car, is it possible that the tranny needs to be rebuilt? He said it dosen't feel like it shifts smooth into overdrive. Could the bands be an issue?

Its a three speed auto with overdrive, ok it's a four speed auto.....It looks as though its had a hard life, it is all Ricky Racered out and is very fast from what I have heard. He just got the car but I think it has something to do with being driven hard.

Any Ideas???????

Andrew

I don't know about Fords but I had a Chevy van that did that. Eventually it wouldn't go into third either. I figured a whole rebuild was in my future. Took it in and it was a $3 plastic governor gear. Chevy used plastic at that time and they stripped out really easily (kinda like Vette headlight motors). That little problem cost me $3 and a half hour labor to install it. Needless to say I was overjoyed!

Ok, I just drove the Mustang. Don't tell anyone.... Anywho, It is slipping real bad when it goes into 4th. It acts like it is not getting tranny fluid. It only does it going into fourth. Ck'd the fluid and it is full (over filled), is it possible that an automatic can slip if it is over filled? The "car" sat for 8-9 months before he got it. the fluid is a little brown like it is burnt but nothing major and no shavings on the dip stick. I told him to drain the tranny and replace the filter as a starting point.

Any thoughts????

Mike ( AZ P&S ) Do you work on Fords??? if you don't work on it then maybe you would know someone who does. I told him to give you a call.

Andrew

Ok, I just drove the Mustang. Don't tell anyone....

Is that anyone in general, or anyone like your wife? :toetap

M~

overfilling can have adverse effects on a transmission.

also to let you know - ford has one of the worst "electronic" transmissions - my mom had one in her T-Bird - maybe Dan (Delorean Dan) can vouch for how bad they are?

as eddie said, it could be something as simple as a $3 part - but from what i remember on moms T-bird - it was a whole lot more expensive than that!

just my .02

:drinkers

Fluid level needs to be spot on for a trans to work correctly.

Also, if you have an auto trans make sure to change the fluid every year. If you don't change it for a long time and then do flush it even worse problems can happen. New fluid in an old abused tranny will cause it to slip horribly.

If he has been up on the maintenance it could be a bad pump causing it not to get enough pressure.

I would take it to a trans shop and have them trouble shoot it. Tell him to bring a credit card and plan on anywhere from $800 - $2K.

3,503 lbs of trouble
also to let you know - ford has one of the worst "electronic" transmissions - my mom had one in her T-Bird - maybe Dan (Delorean Dan) can vouch for how bad they are?

I damaged my stock 4R70W playing "drag racer" at Firebird (pre Vette era). A few WOT, and that's all it could take. I think I was told I "overran the sprag", whatever that means. All I know is I messed it up good. I took it to a guy who built racing transmissions named Ken Van Buren. He was highly recommended by a Ford performance shop. He rebuilt my transmission with a Transgo shift kit and heavy duty components, and now I'm told it can handle 600hp. Too bad the 3.8 liter V6 only produces 165. :lol Regardless, it still chirps the tires going into 2nd.

My Mother also has a '97 T-bird, but with a V8. She replaced her transmission last year at about 70K miles. It took a crap under normal driving applications. Mom didn't drag race it... But she did consider it once. :rolf

Stock 4R70W, not the best tranny.

Thanks guys,

I figured the fluid would be an issue but I wasn?t sure. Doesn?t hurt to ask?.

Dan,

Can you get me the phone number for Van Buren? I?ll tell my friend to give him a call. I told him to start with the inexpensive stuff first. Hopefully draining the fluid is all it needs. After thinking about it, I was wondering if maybe the torque converter was going bad. He will need to replace it anyway, if he has to pull the tranny.

Thanks again everyone,

Andrew

3,503 lbs of trouble
Can you get me the phone number for Van Buren? I?ll tell my friend to give him a call.

After Ken rebuilt my tranny he moved his shop. I was considering having him put a Transgo in the Vette's TH 400, but I had trouble locating his new place. I called that same Ford performance shop that initially referred me to him, and they told me he got out of the business and went to work in upper management at some car dealership. This was a few years ago. You may want to give that Ford shop a call and see if they know where he is now.

Call Dean at SVC MotorSports and ask him if he knows the whereabouts of Ken Van Buren, and whether he's doing transmissions again. If not, perhaps SVC has someone on staff now, or perhaps they can suggest someone else.

SVC MotorSports

7333 E Butherus Dr Bldg A-100

Scottsdale, AZ 85260 - 2478

(480) 998-8885

http://www.svcmotorsports.com/scripts/