NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

oh, I've got a good one...

F22trainer

How the hell do brakes squeal???Do anti squeal shims help?

BUT MORE IMPORANT - HOW DO I MAKE THEM QUIT???????

Everything mechanical is reasonably fresh (rears are only 2K miles, fronts 8K all new rotors and pads), but they're getting on my nerves.

:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

In the past when I had this problem new harware always fixed the problem, which in this case it did for a while but now it's back

I believe it is the vibration between the brake pad backing plate and the caliper that presses it to the rotor.

I am no expert, but I believe that is what makes them squeal.

They use to sell a product you can apply to the backing plate that was rubber/lubricant that would stop that annoying noise.

Hope that helps you.

Guest AZ Power & Sound
How the hell do brakes squeal???Do anti squeal shims help?

BUT MORE IMPORANT - HOW DO I MAKE THEM QUIT???????

Everything mechanical is reasonably fresh (rears are only 2K miles, fronts 8K all new rotors and pads), but they're getting on my nerves.

:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

In the past when I had this problem new harware always fixed the problem, which in this case it did for a while but now it's back

make sure you are using OE components... stock shims and pads help a lot with fit and finish as the aftermarket stuff may have a "error buffer" for sizing and be too small or have too much play! If they are OE equipment, there are two options... one is called "disc brake sqeal stop" which is a thick rubbery spray on compound that basically fills the gaps left over and stops the squeal, or you can try lubricating with the grease Phil is talking about... both are available at checker or autozone for a few bucks!

Hey Mike,

If you want to stop by sometime, we can put some of that "Squeal Stop" on. We have plenty of it and it works wonders. Let us know if you want to do it. If your not doing anything Sunday.

Andrew

make sure you are using OE components... stock shims and pads help a lot with fit and finish as the aftermarket stuff may have a "error buffer" for sizing and be too small or have too much play! If they are OE equipment, there are two options... one is called "disc brake sqeal stop" which is a thick rubbery spray on compound that basically fills the gaps left over and stops the squeal, or you can try lubricating with the grease Phil is talking about... both are available at checker or autozone for a few bucks!

Guest XLR8TNC5
They use to sell a product you can apply to the backing plate that was rubber/lubricant that would stop that annoying noise.

Yep, that is what Mark uses on my brakes and it works well.

T