NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

So sould I get an attorney

AZ Z51

So I went to see the doc last night and I'm not hurt other than some deep brusing. :thumbs

All I want is my car and doctor visit paid for ,I don't want to pay an attorney if I don't have to.My car books at $3100 and I would be happy with $2000 and I'll ask for $3000.I'm not sure what the madical bill will be but I'm sure a cat scan,blood test and 8 x rays arn't gona be cheep

Sould I wait and see what they are willing to do or what ??????

No one can tell you what to do. I would make the initial contact with the Insurance Co and she what kind of response you get. If they seem accepting of the liability then I'd just go with it. You can get an attorney at any point that they don't do what you believe is the right thing to do.

I personally wouldn't accept $2k if the car books at more. You seem to believe it's worth less because it's a salvage title. Your not selling it to them they are reimbursing you for your loss. What will it cost you to replace that exact vehicle?

Also remember they owe you "loss of use" until your vehicle is replaced. I collected $35 a day for over two months while my Vette was in the shop and drove my daily driver. You don't have to have a actual rental to collect that.

Routinely you should take your medical bills and multiply by 2-3 times to get a reasonable settlement on that part.

To sum it up, if it takes a month for them to settle the claim and you had $1k in medical bills you should collect the following:

$35 x 30 days = $1050

$1000 x 2-3 = $2000 to $3000

$actual damages $3100

I wouldn't settle for less than $6-$7K or they could talk to my attorney. Just my .02 :thumbs

Wow-remind me to stay well clear of Eddie's cars....

I do recommend getting a feeling for how the insurance company responds to you first. Most attorneys do not want to pick up a non-injury claim without cash up front. So, let them know you know what your car was worth and that you want the medical covered. Those are very reasonable requests that should not be a hassle. If they look like they are going to give you grief, then give 'em hell!

Good luck!

M~

Eddie's advice is sound.

Here's the rub...they're going to try to get off as easy as they can, but if they're are liable for the claim they have to pay. Having your "ducks in a row" as per Eddie's figures is a great start - but if you even say the word "lawyer" - they wil drop you like a hot potato and then the lawyers duke it out and that may come out of your pocket or the settlement at the end.

Either way, you go for twice what you want and hopefully come out of it even.

oh yes, one more thing.

DOCUMENT EVERYTHING - DATES TIMES NAMES PLACES PHONE #'s, ETC. GET A NOTE BOOK OR SOMETHING DEDICATED TO THIS ONLY AND WRITE IT ALL DOWN!!!

DO THIS NOW!!

They (insurance Co.) will think twice when you've got all that info right in front of you and know you are tracking their movements, plus should you need a lawyer it will save you a ton of time and effort.

Good luck and we're just glad you're safe...the rest will just be a PITA, but it will settle.

• 3 weeks later...

So, how did you come out on this accident. If you posted an update I must have missed it. :lurk

They have accepted responsibility and are paying me $2386.00 for my saturn :thumbs

just waiting on the medical billing ,bill was $5730.20

and the $74,000 in pain and suffering.

Wait .....

How much is the new ZO6?

Ok -- that amount = pain and suffering.

and the $74,000 in pain and suffering.

Wait .....

How much is the new ZO6?

Ok -- that amount = pain and suffering.

Dying for a new Z06 doesn't count as pain and suffering. :lol