NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Finally got the Vega down the 1/4 mile.

BSeery

Tracy and I went to test and tune out at Speedworld today.

Found a few things that need to be fixed, a few rules violations that they let slip for now.

Since I had never run this car or anything like it the plan for the day was to go very easy on the car. I planned on never going full throttle, not going to red line, launch with foot brake instead of the transmission brake and shift at 5500 instead of 7500.

So the first run went real good. The car was nice and stable with just a bit of wobble at the top end (front tires were a bit low). I did a gentle 2500 RPM launch (takes 1500 RPM just to get the car to roll). Like I said, I never went full throttle and I was shifting early and got out of it around the 1000 foot area.

The first run was a 12.786 at 103.551. Fastest my Vette ever ran was a 13.34 at 103 and this felt even slower in the Vega.

Second run I got into the throttle a bit more and ran it to 6000 RPM on the shift. I let of completely at the 1000 foot, totally off the throttle. Car was still good and stable and felt good.

Only one major problem.

I ran too fast.

I was only teched for a 11.5 since I didn't have a fire jacket and my belts were out of date.

The Vega ran a 11.458 at 117.529. My 1/8 mile was 7.439 at 98.332.

I look forward to a full run in the future. I think this car will run 10.5 -10.7 with no problems at all.

When you said it made it down the quarter mile I was going to ask if that was in the trailer behind the Dodge? :D

Very :cool Looking to the future I'm sure! :thumbs

About time, how long you had that thing now :leaving

:D

Fastest my Vega got up to was 80 down hill with a tail wind.

About time, how long you had that thing now :leaving

:D

Fastest my Vega got up to was 80 down hill with a tail wind.

yeah yeah yeah. So we've had it for 3 months now. problem is that it may be another 6 months before I can race it again. I have to get new belts and a race jacket and right now 99% of what we have and what we are doing is wrapped up in moving to TN.

What was your 60'..... post your slip...

reaction time sucked big time because I was playing with the brake and throttle and trying to get the line lock to work. My RPM's were not up so the 60 foot isn't exciting either.

I was just happy for a nice straight run with no problems.

Just in case you can't read the scan.

Reaction: .649

60 foot: 1.772

330: 4.911

1/8 mile: 7.439

1/8 mile MPH: 98.332

1000 foot: 9.541

1/4 mile: 11.458

1/4 mile MPH: 117.529

Guest XLR8TNC5

SWEET! Congrats to you. Like I said, I never met a Vega that didn't run the 1/4 at a speed worthy of mucho respecto! NICE!

t

Excellent! Those are some very nice numbers and I'm glad the little beastie didn't blow up. ;)

We haven't heard if the prospective new TN town will have a track, but I sure hope so! It would be such a waste to have a car like that and no track nearby to run at....

M~

Excellent! Those are some very nice numbers and I'm glad the little beastie didn't blow up. ;)

We haven't heard if the prospective new TN town will have a track, but I sure hope so! It would be such a waste to have a car like that and no track nearby to run at....

M~

Yeah -- that part sucks. I have 2 National NHRA tracks in Tenn. One is in Memphis, 300 miles away, the other is in Bristol, 300 miles the other way.

The local track (80 miles) is an 1/8 mile track :ack

After that I have to drive up to Bowling Green Kentucky (110+ miles) for a good 1/4 mile track.

Cut through the farmer's field during non growing season. :lol:lol

Excellent!  Those are some very nice numbers and I'm glad the little beastie didn't blow up.  ;)

We haven't heard if the prospective new TN town will have a track, but I sure hope so!  It would be such a waste to have a car like that and no track nearby to run at....

M~

Yeah -- that part sucks. I have 2 National NHRA tracks in Tenn. One is in Memphis, 300 miles away, the other is in Bristol, 300 miles the other way.

After that I have to drive up to Bowling Green Kentucky (110+ miles) for a good 1/4 mile track.

If you drive the Vega there, it could be in less than an hour :D

Phil... :devil

The local track (80 miles) is an 1/8 mile track  :ack

Cut through the farmer's field during non growing season. :lol:lol

just as long as the track goes with the crop rows and not across them.

I have 2 National NHRA tracks in Tenn. One is in Memphis, 300 miles away, the other is in Bristol, 300 miles the other way.

:crazy Lordy! That's no good. What the heck are you thinking, son? We moved here because the track in Tucson was closed and driving the beast the 100 miles took 4 hous with those 4.11s. You gotta fix that situation right quick!

M~

:crazy Lordy! That's no good. What the heck are you thinking, son? We moved here because the track in Tucson was closed and driving the beast the 100 miles took 4 hous with those 4.11s. You gotta fix that situation right quick!

M~

Try it with 4.88's and a locked rear end. The 4 gallon fuel tank and no ventilation in the car may be the bigger problems for a road trip.

That and there's no CD player.

That and there's no CD player.

How about a cup holder though?

Hell, even my Vette doesn't have one of those.