Advice on auto upholsterer in Phoenix

chevy69

Hello all - My son got new seat covers for his car (70 Mustang) and has the seats out and ready to be recovered. He wants to take them to an upholsterer to have the covers put on. I will have to do this on my '69 Vette this year as well. Any advice for a good auto upholsterer in the Phoenix area? Anything near Chandler? Thanks :howdy

I had a place on Cave Creek Rd. do some repairs on my '87.... bolsters and seat bottom were worn, and he actually had the original fabric to match in stock. Did a great job - he even brought the car into the shop before it started to rain that day before I picked it up!

I think it was ABLE upholstery - I'll have to get back to you for sure on that one - he's on the east side of Cave Creek Rd. about 2 miles south of Cactus. There's a few upholstery places along that area, so let me be sure.

I'm at work right now so I'll look it up tonight and post again later.

Michael

...love the new avitar Ed.

MH :thumbs

I had to find something to celebrate my birthday next month :D

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread: Local upholstery shop anyone??

Thanks guys (by the way I like the avitar too) :P

anyone ever use Checo's Upholstery on Baseline in Tempe? I spoke with the owner today and I'm going out to see him this afternoon.

Thanks again :thumbs

Guest AZ Power & Sound
Hello all - My son got new seat covers for his car (70 Mustang) and has the seats out and ready to be recovered. He wants to take them to an upholsterer to have the covers put on. I will have to do this on my '69 Vette this year as well. Any advice for a good auto upholsterer in the Phoenix area? Anything near Chandler? Thanks :howdy

ive always been a fan of Ians work at 1st Upholstery on scottsdale road just north of the 202...

Thanks guys (by the way I like the avitar too) :P

anyone ever use Checo's Upholstery on Baseline in Tempe? I spoke with the owner today and I'm going out to see him this afternoon.

Thanks again :thumbs

Hey there -- when you go out, can you ask them if they sell foam for a seat? Just the foam. I need to cut some custom foam for the seat in my drag car and don't know where to get the foam. I am looking for some high density stuff, only a couple inches thick.

Or at least report back on what you think of the shop and their work. I guess if they are a good place I can call them myself for the foam.

Thanks guys (by the way I like the avitar too)  :P

anyone ever use Checo's Upholstery on Baseline in Tempe?  I spoke with the owner today and I'm going out to see him this afternoon.

Thanks again  :thumbs

Hey there -- when you go out, can you ask them if they sell foam for a seat? Just the foam. I need to cut some custom foam for the seat in my drag car and don't know where to get the foam. I am looking for some high density stuff, only a couple inches thick.

Or at least report back on what you think of the shop and their work. I guess if they are a good place I can call them myself for the foam.

Will do - We're heading out there now (I just love a field trip :) )

Met with the owner today - it's a smaller family biz, I'm going to give them a shot and will report back. They are right at McClintock and Baseline. The owner came in just to meet with me, so first impressions are good.

Bryan, He said Tempe Sales on Broadway was the best place to buy your high density foam.

Guest waymirec

hehe.. i remember starting that thread. I ofcourse ended up going with Arizona Auto Werks in Tempe. Looked at 1st Upholstery as an option but they dropped the ball.

Well, I got a call back from Checo's and the seats are done already. I'll pick them up later today or tomorrow and report back as to quality/satisfaction. :thumbs

Guest waymirec
Looked at 1st Upholstery as an option but they dropped the ball.

Do tell!

:lurk

Well I was out of the country at the time and had a friend doing all the leg work on my car. 1st Upholstery was one of the first shops I sent him to. After a couple visits with the owner I told him to go ahead and get a formal quote and move forward. Jonathan kept telling them we were ready to move forward on the project and they just never did anything.. didn't issue a quote or set an appointment or anything. So decided to go somewhere else that actually wanted my business. Quite funny too because when I got back I ran into the owner at Pavillion's and showed him the work that was done. His comments were funny. He's one angry little man.

Well the boys went and picked up the seats. They look pretty good, but the shop forgot to finish a few things, which resulted in an extra trip over to the shop. One of the seat backs was pulling apart where the seam was, not sure if this was a seat cover issue or if it happened when they were stretching them on. He repaired it and all is good. They also forgot to cut a couple of areas where mounting rods came through the fabric - this kind of ticked me off - seemed like an obvious miss to me. If I had picked them up I wouldn't have needed the extra trip, but I still would have had to ask for the job to be finished properly. Bottom line I'd give them a "C+". I guess I'll keep looking for a shop to do my vette seats when I'm ready. ;)

I have used Chuck Booth for a complete re-do on a 57 Chevy. Quality work, lifetime quarantee. He was able to do a one piece carpet for the front which is next to impossible. He is also very reasonable and not too far out on schedules. He does tend to bounce his business around though. Presently he is using Bob's Custom Paint body shop in Glendale. His cell is (602) 509-7695. You won't be disappointed. Lots of show cars use him. :)

Also Tempe Sales has a great supply and will cut the foam to your specs. On the north side of Broadway about three blocks west of Mill Avenue.

• 2 weeks later...
Looked at 1st Upholstery as an option but they dropped the ball.

Do tell!

:lurk

Well I was out of the country at the time and had a friend doing all the leg work on my car. 1st Upholstery was one of the first shops I sent him to. After a couple visits with the owner I told him to go ahead and get a formal quote and move forward. Jonathan kept telling them we were ready to move forward on the project and they just never did anything.. didn't issue a quote or set an appointment or anything. So decided to go somewhere else that actually wanted my business. Quite funny too because when I got back I ran into the owner at Pavillion's and showed him the work that was done. His comments were funny. He's one angry little man.

is this the guy that his kid drives the white supra with a 'chute on the back of it?

it looks like it has all the right goodies on it, but has anyone even seen that car run?

:huh