NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

any good trany guys around

jophis37

Any good trany rebuilders around here. Third gear is really starting to grind. Imagine not pressing the clutch all the way in and trying to shift. That what it sounds like. I make sure to put the clutch all the way in before shifting and it still does it. I noticed that if I shift out of second and hesitate before shifting into third that it won't grind as bad. also if I apply presure and let it fall into third it's not so bad. But that won't work well for track times. Any ideas out there.

Thanks,

Joe

Guest AZ Power & Sound

We do them here... $950 for the rebuild and trans removal / install plus whatever parts are required. Id say on average people spend 400-800 in parts depending which synchro rings are needed if any...

Guest AZ Power & Sound
so it's 950 labor, and the price of parts on top of that right? What is reccomended for the rebuild.

generally grinding comes from either a shift fork issue ( there are little plastic teeth at the end of the forks that tend to snap) or the synchronizer rings get worn...

Our typical rebuild is usually a hardened 3-4 shift fork - $59

3-4 synchronizer assembly - $189

synchro kit - $269

then misc shims, snap rings etc - $75

If the tranny has been beat on, we have had to replace 1-2 synchronizer assemblies as well as once in a while 5-6 and occasionally a 5-6 shift fork. the 1-2 fork is usually too strong to break though

This will get it to OE strength with a stronger more rigid 3-4 fork... if you want any competition or race style building, a few of the shops on LS1 tech or similar do the Viper T56 conversions for about $1900... Might want to email brian Frey and see how happy he is with his and which shop did it, but I think he got every race option on it!

Joe,

Didn't you just have your car in Mike's shop??

Spec 3+ clutch and AZSP02 cam??????????

Why didn't you have him take it for a drive then??

I'm SO confused...........................

Ken

It did it a few times while on the test drive and is getting worse. I don't think it is related to any of the work Mike did. If it's the shift fork can you do a simple test to prove that, such as when at a stop you practice putting it in gear w/ the clutch all the way in and the first time there might be some resistance but as you repeatedly take it in and out of third it getts easier and eventualy is as smooth as butter. Or does that not tell anything. I was also thinking of changing out the trany fluid on MON. Does anyone know if the 02 Z06 trany has carbon fiber syncro's. The reason I ask is some say that the earliar years had some paper form and that synthetic would ruin them. Any opinions on what sort of ATF I should use. Dextron III, GM syncromesh, mobil 1 synthectic, etc

Joe.

Guest AZ Power & Sound
It did it a few times while on the test drive and is getting worse. I don't think it is related to any of the work Mike did. If it's the shift fork can you do a simple test to prove that, such as when at a stop you practice putting it in gear w/ the clutch all the way in and the first time there might be some resistance but as you repeatedly take it in and out of third it getts easier and eventualy is as smooth as butter. Or does that not tell anything. I was also thinking of changing out the trany fluid on MON. Does anyone know if the 02 Z06 trany has carbon fiber syncro's. The reason I ask is some say that the earliar years had some paper form and that synthetic would ruin them. Any opinions on what sort of ATF I should use. Dextron III, GM syncromesh, mobil 1 synthectic, etc

Joe.

EVERY GM tranny guy has said no dice with synchromesh or royal purple etc... best bet is just the dirt cheap run of the mill Dexron III ATF. Far as the shift fork goes, its either shift fork or synchronizer assembly, or both! They are both REALLY common for problems as all it takes is literally one bad shift to blow either of them out. Unfortunatly I didnt get any seat time in your car while it was here as Nic did all of the break in and tuning so I didnt have a chance to check it out... Let me know next time you are down here AFTER the clutch is broken in and I will take a spin in it!

Guest AZ Power & Sound
Joe,

Didn't you just have your car in Mike's shop??

Spec 3+ clutch and AZSP02 cam??????????

Why didn't you have him take it for a drive then??

I'm SO confused...........................

Ken

Hey Ken, we were on a tight schedule with a parts mishap from PRC and Spec... so unfortunatly it was literally driven out of my stall by Nic and put on the drivability / tuning runs, then dyno then taken home! Hard to say anyways though because the clutch needs time to seat properly and break in. I DID take yours out when it was done and 2nd and 3rd scratched at first, however the other day when I drove it, it was perfect... so a lot of the small issues go away quickly with break in!

Tony and I are going to change the trans fluid on Mon. I'm gonna let it sit till then. Hopefully that does something. If not, then, well that sucks, but what can you do. I'll post back Mon on what happens.

Joe

Guest AZ Power & Sound
I love the fact that mike does EVERYTHING! we really have found a one stop shop here - haven't we? :drinkers

Just wait till we finish the wood room and metal fab room :) If we get enough time im going to make some turbo kits, cool dress up items, custom enclosures, amp racks... Basically all kinds of cool stuff :)