NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

You find these things in the strangest places

Eddie44

I was at the GY dealer out in Scottsdale yesterday getting my last tire from the accident put on. I walked out to see how they were doing and to my wondering eys I spied this in the bay next to mine. I don't think I would have had a GY mechanic working on the engine in this if it were mine! :huh

Photo_122305_003.jpg

The Nova looked absolutely pristine down to the Yenko dealer sticker on the trunk.

Looks like a clone to me! :cool

Might have been, I didn't get that good a look. Like I said it was sweet even if it was a clone. It even had a Yenko dealer sticker on the trunk. Alot of detail to go to for a clone. But then I guess sometimes they try harder to stick to detail building a clone than restoring the original. I'd have taken it in a heartbeat! :yesnod

3,503 lbs of trouble

I thought the "SC" in Yenko/SC stood for Super Camaro? Would not make sense on a Nova.

The S/C did stand for Super Camaro, but there were Yenko S/C novas.

Some background on Yenko

Don Yenko?s Canonsburg, Pennsylvania Chevrolet dealership produced these cars from 1967-1969. The Camaros in the first two years they were ordered by Yenko as with 396 V-8 engines and then replaced with 427 cubic inch motors at the dealership. In 1969, the dealership had convinced GM to produce some of the 427 Camaros for them to customize. After Yenko received the cars he added special stripes and badges, and also equipped them with a tachometer, headers, and different wheels. The 427 cubic inch engine made 450 horsepower and was equipped with a solid lifter cam.

Yenko created the Nova S/C which featured a dealer installed 427 engine. The Nova actually was the lightest of the three vehicles (Chevelle, Camaro, Nova) and had the best weight distribution so were actually the fastest of the Yenko Super Cars. Just a few were sold, as they were so fast (0-60 in 4 seconds) that they were downright dangerous. In retrospect, Yenko remarked that "this probably wasn't the safest car in the world." In 1970, high insurance costs reduced the market for super cars and Yenko only offered his Yenko Deuce, a Nova with the LT-1 350 from the Corvette rated at a stout 360 bhp. About 200 were built, as they could be insured as a 350 Nova. For 1971, Yenko only offered a Stinger Vega and the performance era was officially over

3,503 lbs of trouble
The S/C did stand for Super Camaro, but there were Yenko S/C novas.

Some background on Yenko...

:thumbs

For 1971, Yenko only offered a Stinger Vega and the performance era was officially over

Hey Glen - got any details on the Stinger Vega?

I thought I saw one go by once, back in Va. - noting only a clean dual exhaust from underneath and that it showed no hint of "aftermarket" mod's and wasn't there also a production Vega that came with a 307 V8 (I think?). I seem to remember it having some version of GM sport or rally wheels as well and a nice rally stripe paint job - not a decal.

Any idea how many there were?

Just curious

MH

p177450_image_large.jpg

Three cars in the Yenko collection represent the rarest?yet perhaps the least well known?of the breed. The final Yenko was a Camaro, but it debuted in 1981 as a Turbo Z. It used a turbocharger to aerobicize an otherwise anemic 350 small-block that was forced to breathe through an iron lung?like Q-jet carburetor and catalytic converter.

Its next-of-incongruous-kin, the Yenko Stinger Vega, also shared a turbocharger affixed to a ?72 four-cylinder motor which was later transplanted with a 370-hp L-79.

Next to the Vega is the original ancestor to the Yenko clan, a ?66 Corvair Stinger. The flat-six?powered commuter car came about as a direct result of Don Yenko?s involvement in sports car racing. While nimble, the Corvair never caught on with a clientele courted by mastodon motors and drag racing.

http://hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/97138/

Specs:

Engine: 140 cu. in. 4 cylinder

GM Options: GT package, heavy duty radiator, AM radio

Yenko Options: Yenko custom finned aluminum valve cover, "Stinger" anti-hop traction bars, rear "Stinger" spoiler, Yenko metal emblems

Transmission: 4 speed

Rear-end: 3.36 posi

Exterior color: Wasp Blue

Interior color: Black

7073yvs.jpg

Nice, but not to be confused with the Baldwin Motion Vega

Bmvega.jpg

Engine: LT1 350 Engine

Horsepower (factory): 370

Horsepower (Motion): 425+

Carb: Holley 850 "double pumper"

Intake: Edelbrock TM-1 intake

Cam: Motion Phase III grind cam

Ignition: Mallory distributor/Motion Control box

Exhaust: Hooker headers w/ chambered exhaust

Transmission: B&M Turbo 400 Transmission

Rear-end: Narrowed 12 bolt w/ET finned aluminum cover w/4:56 posi

Motion "extras": Green fiberglass flex fan, Motion Valve covers, Stellings air cleaner, Gabriel "Hi-Jacker" air shocks and no-hop bars, Wood Sport wheel, Sun Tach and gauges, Hurst Shifter, Cragar SS wheels, Motion "L-88" fiberglass hood w/ hood pins

Tires: Ft: 15x4.5 Moroso Drag Tires

R: 15x7.5 BFG Drag Radial

Exterior color: Red w/white Motion stripes

Interior color: Black

1/4 mile ET: Motion GUARANTEED 10 sec. 1/4 mile ETs with their small block Vega...or they would buy it back!

Must confess I owned both Vega & Corvair...and always wished they looked something like those, even though they were at least clean, straight and good runners.

Now I'm just happy with what I do have - not what I don't.

Beautiful examples - Thanks for info, Bryan!

:burnout

I love that Mopar at the top of the page of that Hot Rod page....... Oh was there some kind of article there...... J/K

That would be cool to have a Yenko Vega.....

Andrew