NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

The Verdict is in on the tranny rebuild / stall.

92ZR1Wannabe

92ZR1Wannabe

Its an absolute BEAST! :rockon2:

Little different driving the car around with a high stall torque converter, however the thing launches very very nice.

Once it hits higher speeds the tc locks up and it drives exactly as it used to. Did 80+ most the way home with no issues.

Trail Transmission (On Apache Trail / AJ) did all the work, pulling the unit and giving it a performance rebuild. Shift points are right on the money and very crisp. They also did a good job installing the transmission cooler , its a very clean install , right under the nose in front of the condenser (using brackets and not those retarded "push through the radiator" quick clips).

Most importantly they took good care of it and kept it inside their shop during the nights. I left it with them for a bit over a week (Was out of town).

For those of you that missed the first post, my transmission had given up the ghost. Something inside died in a very unhappy way so it was time for a complete rebuild. Figured while it was out might as well get frisky with the torque converter as mine was having issues staying locked up when it was cold. I settled on a Pete K (off the corvette forums) 9.5 inch 2800 rpm lockup converter. Also picked up a nice 18.6k GVW TCI Transmission cooler.

Total cost of parts / labor / rebuild was roughly $2200.

I will post some pics a little later tonight after I get back from the movies.

:3gears:

Sounds like it drives better than new! Also sounds like a good recommendation for the shop. Congrats!

Right on! If ya got an auto, its the only way to fly.

My Yank converter really woke up my car, like about a half second off the e.t., and the built A4 w/shift kit is a hoot now, it barks second, and chirps third sometimes! :burnout2

Good to hear all is well again in tranny land...opps I meant to say transmission land. :thumbs

92ZR1Wannabe

Well after driving the car around town / highway for more then a week I still could not be happier with the way it drives. Only thing I did notice it is running a little warmer in town its not overheating, just running a little warmer then it used too.

I'm ordering up a nice shiney new Dewitts radiator that should take care of that issue.

I took it down to the local desolate road and played around with launching it. Seems the car responds best with simply punching the gas and flashing the converter as opposed to stalling it out. When flashing it the car turns the tires over for 10 or so feet (pulling hard the entire way) then goes. Stalling it out = smoked 315/35 tires. I think i'll save the stall launches for the drag radials.

:3gears:

Don't suppose the over-heating has something to do with the way you're driving it? Little more aggressive maybe????? :devil

92ZR1Wannabe
Don't suppose the over-heating has something to do with the way you're driving it? Little more aggressive maybe????? :devil

No, not at all :leaving