NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

I have GAS

ChadC

simple question.

I know we here have 91 OCT gas.

what are the chances of getting a "bad Tank" of gas?

what exactally is a "Bad Tank" of gas? poor octane? Poor quality? sitting around to long?

chad

Big Poppa

I have fount that "Bad gas" is typically water in the gas. I've gotten that a couple times and just had to drive it out.

Quicksilver98

I have had it too. I also think its probably water in the gas. Condensation from temp changes in the steel tankers...etc. However I feel that I have gotten gas that didnt seem up to par as far as octane too. While the car may not spit and sputter as it would if sucking in water. It sure seems that some fillups dont give you as good throttle response as others. Even if its from the same station and the same grade. Every once in a blue moon I will get a tankful that seems to make it run like a rice burner with a fart pipe. Maybe its just me....I dont know.

Big Poppa

Course, bad gas could also be caused by the car sitting at a hot rod shop for 8 months.

I'm just sayin...

Course, bad gas could also be caused by the car sitting at a hot rod shop for 8 months.

A-Hanging.gif

I have heard that you don't want to fill up when the tanker is delivering fuel. Something about the water being stirred up or something. Where's Chevron Phil?

anmracing2

Water is the biggest prob with "bad gas"...... I doubt 8-12 months sitting would be an issue unless it's been out in the sun baking. A full tank of high grade gasoline mixed with older gas helps bring back the octane.

Now, it is is old enough to crystalize you'll need to clean out the old line if you opt to reuse them in the first place.

If you think the gas is bad then drain it, run to Sinclair @ 56th Steet and Bell and get some 100 octane.

Andrew

I ask because with my future setup I will have a narrow window for getting good gas.

what I mean is that If I get a bad tank I have a higher chance of going *poop*.

Phill's Vette

Bad gas can be water in the fuel, dirty fuel (Dirt/muck in the underground tank), to low or to high octane level - To high is known as a "Hot Load" and wreaks havoc for a gas station - nozzles, hoses start to leak as the rubber "O" rings shrink up. This is very rare and only happen to us one time while we were branded ARCO in 2003. You can imagine what a hot load could do to a car, especially a performance cars like a Corvette.

Shameless Plug Coming....... I should add that the complaints of "Bad Gas" are extremely rare with Chevron fuels - NO bad gas complaints against my stations since being branded with Chevron fuels. We were branded with ARCO for 10 yrs in Chandler and the complaints were a regular occurrence!! Though I did have a person try to sue us saying he got unleaded fuel through one of our diesel pumps which was impossible. He wasn't paying attention and grabbed the wrong nozzle, ruined his dsl engine and wanted us to pay for it. Our systems record ALL transactions including what grade/fuel they pump; his lawyer dropped it......

ANOTHER good reason to stay clear of ARCO and other so called discount gas retailers!

Unfortunately either Right or wrong, private and corporate station owners/operators will fight you tooth and nail if you claim Bad Gas!

When a tanker is dropping fuel, it IS mixing up everything in the tank including water, which ALL underground tanks will have at least some. But, there are filters that are either at the tanks or like my stations, at each pump and these filters will shut down if water is detected. Though not all stations will use the moisture & particulate filters as the cost is very high compared to a normal 10 micron particle filter. Most Chevrons including our stations, use the the dual protection filters.

Most of the no name, non branded stations will allow their tank volumes to drop to 500-1,000 gallons before they order a load; when the load comes, ALL the muck and water in the tank is now part of what is being pumped at the nozzle..... Also, their loads are typically small loads and no dilution of the muck/water takes place - ANOTHER good reason to only buy from a Branded, quality fuels provider and NOT some no name Bubba's Pimped Out Pumper stations!

I hope this answered at least one question................

I guarantee that the only "Bad Gas" you will find at my stations come from my butt and not my nozzles! :crazyphil: