NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

c6 paddle shifters?

Guest Sidewinder

OK -- I've got to come out and say it.

What the hell is so good about "paddle shifters" ??!!??

:rant

First off, 99% of paddle shifters are not even true shifters. It's a revised automatic transmission that lets you shift your own gears. Big freaking whoopidity doo!! Some import cars have had this for a while. Chrysler jumped on this years ago. Hell, even the Malibu rental cars I get have this feature. On the Malibu you just take the floor shifter and pull it down to where 3rd on a 4 speed auto would be. This engages the "fake manual 4 speed". From there you have a button on the side of the shifter and the top of the shifter to push to move it up and down gears. Yeah -- whoopee -- I was manual shifting automatics when I was 16 to make it seem more cool. Well, you know what, it's not. It's not a manual, never will be one, no matter what you call it.

The Corvette has just moved the buttons up on the steering wheel. That's all. No cutting edge technology, no leading the way with the Corvette anymore, just left overs from the daily driver parts bin.

"I see bent push rods. " No you won't.

I would bet a few beers that this "manual shifting mode" is even idiot proof. I bet that it won't downshift into a lower gear or gears unless you can safely do it. It's programmed not to go down until you can do it without over revving. Is that a true manual -- no. And you still have the rev limiter to keep you from staying in one gear too long as well. It's great that no one can do the the shift for 5th and hit 3rd (or worse, 1st) any more, but it's still a computer controlled slushbox auto with firmed up shifts. Only difference between now and when I was 16 -- no more column shifter and now you get cool little buttons.

Thanks but no thanks. If I want an auto for daily driving, I will buy an auto. If I want the sporty feeling and control of a 6 speed, I will get the M6. Same with all those other poser paddle shifters out there. I think only one or two cars have true paddle shifting manual transmissions, and none are under $150K. :rant

The Toyota MR2 Spyder has a real SMC trans. Likewise for the BMW M3. My wife has a BMW 330Ci with the Steptronic. When we bought the car 5yrs. ago the salesman was all over "Steptronic" like it was the best thing since sliced bread and when I told him a 97 Stratus has the exact same thing and that I can manually shift my 94 Vette to do the same thing he actually called another salesman as a witness to prove I was wrong. Well the other salesman showed him the diff. between the M3 and the 330 and said I was correct. Apparently the M3 has the same trans as the Ferrari but without the solenoids(you work the shifter like a manual). Interestingly enough the Toyota MR2 has a real SMC with the paddles. The Japs. always seem to get it done as good as the best at a fraction of the price. Joe.

Guest Sidewinder

Get engaged, thanks to available Six?Speed Paddle Shift with Automatic Modes. Identical paddles are positioned on each side of the steering wheel. Push the ?plus? button with your thumb to upshift early, or hold out until redline for maximum performance. Downshift on command by lightly squeezing the paddle behind the wheel back toward you. You?ll accomplish fast downshifts from sixth gear all the way to first.

HMMMM, the way I read it "COMMAND" means when YOU want to. If you downshift a car at too high an rpm somthing is gonna bend/break. Or is this another ploy by GM to hide a flawed design just like the 3 ls1 based vehicles i owned that had piston slap and big oil comsumption problems. You know what, I have had it with all the bickering back and forth lately like little bitches and people being accused of things that aren't true and people slamming other peoples post for no reason. I'm done with posting. See ya at the next gathering.

Guest XLR8TNC5

^^^Great, now you gone and done it. I gotta bare the wrath of this! lol.

Sometimes, I think we all just need to chill out and remember that we don't know EVERYTHING and everyone is entitled to their opinions, but let's try not to be so critical and one-sided all the time eh.

Lata,

T

^^^Great, now you gone and done it. I gotta bare the wrath of this! lol.

Sometimes, I think we all just need to chill out and remember that we don't know EVERYTHING and everyone is entitled to their opinions, but let's try not to be so critical and one-sided all the time eh.

Lata,

T

You tell 'em T! :bang

what?? What did I say???

I just said that the paddle shifters suck and that GM turns a good idea into a crappy one by idiot proffing and making the cars to "generic" for the general public.

It was a rant from me, more towards GM, and not at ANYONE at all.

Jeeze.

Get engaged, thanks to available Six?Speed Paddle Shift with Automatic Modes. Identical paddles are positioned on each side of the steering wheel. Push the ?plus? button with your thumb to upshift early, or hold out until redline for maximum performance. Downshift on command by lightly squeezing the paddle behind the wheel back toward you. You?ll accomplish fast downshifts from sixth gear all the way to first.

HMMMM, the way I read it "COMMAND" means when YOU want to. If you downshift a car at too high an rpm somthing is gonna bend/break. Or is this another ploy by GM to hide a flawed design just like the 3 ls1 based vehicles i owned that had piston slap and big oil comsumption problems. You know what, I have had it with all the bickering back and forth lately like little bitches and people being accused of things that aren't true and people slamming other peoples post for no reason. I'm done with posting. See ya at the next gathering.

Mark,

WTF, is it that time of the month??

Any "automatic" is going to be sequential and under computer control!!

You are quoting someone in GM's advertising department that probably drives a jap car!!

Take it easy Bro :howdy:howdy

When it happens we will get the feedback from the field!!

Ken

3,503 lbs of trouble
You know what, I have had it with all the bickering back and forth lately like little bitches and people being accused of things that aren't true and people slamming other peoples post for no reason. I'm done with posting. See ya at the next gathering.

Ya know, you can tell we have grown into one big family when we can no longer seem to get along with each other. :boxing

You know what, I have had it with all the bickering back and forth lately like little bitches and people being accused of things that aren't true and people slamming other peoples post for no reason. I'm done with posting. See ya at the next gathering.

Ya know, you can tell we have grown into one big family when we can no longer seem to get along with each other. :boxing

Hey, that's looking on the bright side. ;)

I was starting to think our little family had hit a huge speedbump. Please tell me it's just holiday stress and the darn smog making us all punchy and that we can ride it out and still be friends.....

Seriously, you guys are such a great group, I don't want to see it get all ugly over silly posts.

M~

Hey Dan,

Tell the people what happens when you are following the meathead who's 5th to 4th downshift at 100+ goes 5th to 2nd!! The computer behind the wheel really felt the difference but still let the clutch out enough to see the tach bury!!

I pushed it back in, flipped it in neutral and coasted to see if the engine was still gonna run!!

At the same instant I glanced in the rearview to see if parts were starting to leave the car and saw a big cloud of black oil, carbon, moisture stuff engulf Dan's Electra!!

He still talks to me so, shit works out!!

BTW, Ba F'n Humbug.....................................

I hate this time of year!! Everything is SO phony.............

Ken

Hey Dan,

Tell the people what happens when you are following the meathead who's 5th to 4th downshift at 100+ goes 5th to 2nd!! The computer behind the wheel really felt the difference but still let the clutch out enough to see the tach bury!!

I pushed it back in, flipped it in neutral and coasted to see if the engine was still gonna run!!

At the same instant I glanced in the rearview to see if parts were starting to leave the car and saw a big cloud of black oil, carbon, moisture stuff engulf Dan's Electra!!

He still talks to me so, shit works out!!

BTW, Ba F'n Humbug.....................................

I hate this time of year!! Everything is SO phony.............

Ken

Even a rev limiter won't help you when you do a reverse "skip shift" .

I had a wierd transmission in a Monza that went R-1, 2-3, 4-5. 1st was down to the left and reverse was straight up, not to the side or anything like that. Drag racing with that trans sucked because everytime you wanted to make that quick 1-2 it tried to go 1-R. And then when you wanted to do 4-5 on the interstate, it liked to do 4-3 instead -- that will slow you up a bit.