NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Hey Malcolm

itsaz

Hey guys! Thanks for the well wishes! Yeah, the Shrimp Store and the Redneck Yunkyard are in the rolling metropolis of Imperial Texas - - about 40 miles north of Ft Stockton, Texas. Eathing there is our tradition on Friday before the Open Road Race on Saturday morning. I'm heading out on Wednesday to Ft Stockton. I asked an old friend from Dallas to Navigate and work the stopwatches for me. He is a freelance writer for Vette magazine in his spare time so there may be a magazine story about it down the road.

You guys don't know what you're missing! It's a lot of fun - - 118 miles of Texas highway at high speed legally! There's one in Nevada in May and September this year. I'm trying to gear towards doing the September one - - the Silver State Classic.

Malcolm

Texas Speed Cam

BBOR20089.jpg

In Texas, that's considered the D Lux Truk - Cumplet wit Sewfa. Betcha didn't know they could be ordered that way!

That radar gun probably cost more than the truck was ever worth!

the D Lux Truk - Cumplet wit Sewfa.

Dang Malcolm, you got the accent down pretty good, yu ben etin chit'lins or sumptin?

Congratulations to Malcolm who placed 2nd in the 125 MPH class averaging 124.973 MPH over the entire course.

We managed to come in 9th with 125.589 MPH.

Of the 16 entries in our class, 13 were with 1 mph of the target speed. Pretty impressive!

Thanks Tom! In the speed class Tom and I ran in, there's a guy we know from the Dallas area who has a huge advantage. He has a laptop setup tied into a gps and accelerometer that actually tells him constantly throughout the course how to adjust his speed. It's basically a given that he will win that class. So coming in 2nd to him "old school" (that is, using only course notes and a stopwatch) is pretty satisfying. After 56 mins and 39 seconds of driving 110-140mph over 118 miles of Texas roads, I came in 0.723 seconds off the target time (or 0.027 avg mph). Mr Technology was 0.372 seconds off - - 0.35 seconds closer than I was.

Although Tom had a little adversity to deal with this weekend, he also did a great job on his run. It's quite an accomplishment just to do it and to come in with 1 mph. Most people never in their life will do 118 miles and 59 turns keeping it over 100mph basically the whole time. Thanks also for getting me into this 2 years ago. It's been a blast!

Malcolm

PS - I knew you were a stockbroker but I never knew what E F stood for in E F Hutton. Now I do! :D

With that knowledge then Malcom I declare you the winner. Doing it old school is way more satisfying than using all that techno crap. Just ask Dawg.

Way to go man. :thumbs

PS - I knew you were a stockbroker but I never knew what E F stood for in E F Hutton. Now I do! :D

[Elmer Fudd]You wascally wabbit![Elmer Fudd]

With that knowledge then Malcom I declare you the winner. Doing it old school is way more satisfying than using all that techno crap. Just ask Dawg.

Way to go man. :thumbs

Thanks Sean! Yeah, and I didn't use a gps either but somehow I found my way to the finish line on time! But Dawg, don't feel bad - there were about 40 Corvettes following me.

By the way, there were about 160 cars registered in the Big Bend Open Road Race. About half of them were Corvettes. Some other interesting cars - - the 64 Lincoln Continental built on Monster Garage (broke down), a 65 Corvair (400 cu in small block in the back seat running Vette suspension and a Porsche transaxle) set the speed record running in unlimited averaging 166.7 mph and going thru a speed trap at 207, a bunch of Panteras were there, and even a 63 Corvette Grand Sport (may have been a replica). A friend of mine from Sahuarita driving a Mazda RX7 clipped a buzzard at high speed on his side mirror. It hung on for a while and fell off. The next car, a Porsche GT2 collected in up in it's wheel well putting a big star in the body panel from the inside. Both cars continued and finished. I don't think anyone went offroading as sometimes happens in this sport, so it was a good safe race.

Malcolm

• 4 weeks later...

The higher speed class, the more safety equipment. Rookies start out in a speed class no higher than 110mph average (there are classes every 5mph from 85 up to 160 and then unlimited). At 110 or less, the significant equipment is an SA2000 rated helmet or better (not M's - motorcycles), a mounted fire extinguisher (easy to make or there are companies out there that make some that mount to seat brackets...), and the appropriate speed rated tires. There's more - but it's minor. Above 110 requires fire suit (even below 110, most wear them), a 5 or 6 point harnesses, etc.... Then you get into roll cages, etc.... If you're interested, check out the website www.bborr.com and click on rules on the left side to look them over. I've done 3 and I'm hooked.

Malcolm