NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Help a newbie get '82 talking to a computer

Guest Simpson36

Guest Simpson36

I am trying to get my bone stock '82 crossfire Vette to talk to my computer using WinALDL and a cable made per the instructions on their site, but no joy so far.

The software only alows 2400 and 4800 baud settings yet the ECM transmits at 160? Hopfuly I am missing something simple.

I've been searching this out on a couple of sites and forums and so far I'm only confusing myself furthur with reams of info. This seems to be a huge subject and I need some help to narrow down where I should be looking. Can anyone help a newbie here with some advice or links that are specific to an '82 vette?

Maybe that's what the wire in your other post is for. J/K I haven't a clue but thought I would give you a :smilelol , seeya, Robert

Just did a quick look on the site...

Which TBI is yours? They list more than one.

Also, when changing COM settings, you have to restart their program for the settings to take effect.

As for the cable,

which value did you use for R3?

You didn't put the R4 in there, did you?

"With this resistor installed the interface will NOT work with fuel injected vehicles. This resisror should ONLY be used with some carbed vehicles that does not work with the standard interface"

So are you getting no signal at all with the cable?

Your only going to get this answered on the crossfire forum. Sorry I can't help I haven't gotten anywhere near my vette with a puter yet...

Guest Simpson36

Did not use R4 and R3 was 10k.

I did get a reply on the injection vault with some things to try.

I'm going to post back to both forums with my results.

At least now I know that my car CAN talk to WinALDL so my efforts won't be wasted. I'm pretty tenacious and will get it working sooner or later.

I also bought a new toy to try out on the mechanical side. A leak down gage. I just need to order a degree tape to put around the damper so I'll be able to set the crank at TDC on each cylinder for testing.

I think the engine is in really good shape mechanically, great compression, no smoke, passed smog, just turned 100k miles and it runs great. I just have this persistent rough idle problem and I want to try and zero in on the cause rather than just start replacing stuff hoping to hit on the cure.

I do think I'll put in a heated O2 on a 'just cause' basis as I did with the '85 FP.

Just FYI even though I have been unsuccessful in my first attempt to get the car and the computer to play nice, the idle speed invreased and smoothed out when I jumped AB with the 10k resistor while it was idleing . . . . interesting.

Guest Simpson36

Thanks Guys!

I got it working. Now if I just knew what all those numbers mean . . .:-)

I'll continue this over at the injection vault if anyone want to chime in.