NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Road Rage

Don&Patty

Today about 2:30 my wife I were West bound on the 60 (in the Corvette) in the HOV lane and doing 74MPH. A guy in Gold Dodge Dakota extended cab came flying up behind me, I couldn?t get over because of traffic in the next lane but he pulled out and tried to pass anyway but no luck. Pulled back in behind me again and road my bumper for a mile or so, but I couldn?t speed up nor pull over due to traffic A little while later he pulled out and must have been doing 90+ weaving in and out of traffic and sped sway, or so I though. I lost track of him and continued on my many way. The next thing I new is he came along side tossed a full bottle of water at me then pulled in front, shot me the bird (his IQ) and hit his brakes two or three times causing me to hit mine and the ABS to come on. Don?t understand people and their rage. Anyway watch out for this guy if you?re on the 60. Just saw on TV a guy was shot and killed on the 60 today, makes you go HMMMMmmmmmm.

I would never shot a person in anger over their driving skills (or lack there of).

I aim for tires.

j/k - I sold the Glock.

But if I still had it, and someone acted the way they did to you and Patty, they would have been buying at least one new tire.

Today about 2:30 my wife I were West bound on the 60 (in the Corvette) in the HOV lane and doing 74MPH.  A guy in Gold Dodge Dakota extended cab came flying up behind me, I couldn?t get over because of traffic in the next lane but he pulled out and tried to pass anyway but no luck.  Pulled back in behind me again and road my bumper for a mile or so, but I couldn?t speed up nor pull over due to traffic  A little while later he pulled out and must have been doing 90+ weaving in and out of traffic and sped sway, or so I though.  I lost track of him and continued on my many way.  The next thing I new is he came along side tossed a full  bottle of water at me then pulled in front, shot me the bird (his IQ) and hit his brakes two or three times causing me to hit mine and the ABS to come on.  Don?t understand people and their rage.  Anyway watch out for this guy if you?re on the 60.  Just saw on TV a guy was shot and killed on the 60 today, makes you go HMMMMmmmmmm.

Well, the vehicles involved in the shooting don't fit your guy-we could have only hoped for karma to bite this guy in the ass. It's scary out there! :willy

Keep a lookout for this guy, too....

fallingdown0ro.th.jpg

Let's be careful out there!!

M~

That's why when I'm in the Z, 90% of the time I have the XD!!

I can't play bumper cars with anyone.

I can out accelerate or brake most of the nuts to get out of the situation, but if they want to press the point, I'm ready!! :thumbs

Good job of keeping your cool Don!!

Ken

Guest racingchester

Last wek some SOB took a shot at one of our school busses. He hit the bus just to the left lower corner of the door. He cut the bus off and the driver gave him the horn as a here I am warning and the guy took the shot. No kids on the bus, thank goodness. No chance to get a licence number either.

Guest XLR8TNC5

Im really bad when it comes to road rage. I have learned to curtail my emotions a lot, but I am still not above cussing people out behind the safety of my Limo Tinted windows. Mark insists one day I will be shot for my antics, but I really try to behave myself.

I don't ride people's asses usually though. But if someone is in the fast lane and I can see I am coming up on them, I will turn on my lights in hopes that they see them and move over. It isn't anyone's job but the DOT to enforce traffic speed limits and I cannot stand "speed monitors." Just move over and let the person who has decided to drive too fast or at 10mph over the speed limit go.

In your case though Don, I understand the situation and I have yet to be pissed off if I can see that someone has no place to go and they are at a good clip already. It isn't their fault. It is usually at that time that I realize I should just hang out a bit. Because I always think to myself, "There must be a reason I need to slow down right now, so just chill Tanya and enjoy the scenery until a spot comes open and I can go around." End of story.

Good job keeping your cool.

Tanya

That is really farked up. Find it hard to believe that people actually take revenge by throwing something at another car. I try and stay away from some of the wacko's that drive around here...

Then again my old retired LEO crown vic doesn't seem to attract the road ragers....

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admit that I've thrown something out. It was late one afternoon, sunny, had the tops off and was heading west over 1-10 on Chandler Blvd. A white lexus SUV zooms from behind me to my right and then veers in front of me, cutting me off as we reach the southbound turn lane onto 1-10. I had to hit the brakes hard as she slowed down. It turns out she wasn't turning, but for cutting me off, I was really mad. I noticed her tag was a NY custom plate, something like LGISLND on the tag. I was going to turn south, she was going towards the foothills. As we came to the light I pulled up on her left side and she shoots me this dirty look, I just put my palms up like, what the hell? She flips me off so as we left the light, I chucked my 32 oz foam beverage out of the t-top onto her winshield. Whatever problems people are having, their is no justification for taking it out by dangerously driving a 4,000 lb. piece of machinery. A good driver will always use their turn signals and keep 2 seconds between cars. I drive 55 miles roundtrip daily on the 101 and have learned patience and respect for the other motorists. Don't race illegally and try and pass only on the left. Besides, if AZ displayed safer roadways, perhaps they would raise the minimum speeds... my .02

I have to admit that I've thrown something out.  It was late one afternoon, sunny, had the tops off and was heading west over 1-10 on Chandler Blvd.  A white lexus SUV zooms from behind me to my right and then veers in front of me, cutting me off as we reach the southbound turn lane onto 1-10.  I had to hit the brakes hard as she slowed down.  It turns out she wasn't turning, but for cutting me off, I was really mad.  I noticed her tag was a NY custom plate, something like LGISLND on the tag.  I was going to turn south, she was going towards the foothills.  As we came to the light I pulled up on her left side and she shoots me this dirty look,  I just put my palms up like, what the hell?  She flips me off so as we left the light, I chucked my 32 oz foam beverage out of the t-top onto her winshield.  Whatever problems people are having, their is no justification for taking it out by dangerously driving a 4,000 lb. piece of machinery.  A good driver will always use their turn signals and keep 2 seconds between cars.  I drive 55 miles roundtrip daily on the 101 and have learned patience and respect for the other motorists.  Don't race illegally and try and pass only on the left.  Besides, if AZ displayed safer roadways, perhaps they would raise the minimum speeds...  my .02

Lets see if I understand. You get pizzed off and throw a liquid onto someone else's windshield that could obliterate there vision while they are driving a 4000+ lb veh but Arizonan's aren't safe drivers????

You statement about Arizona raising the speed limit is uninformed. We have some of the highest speed limits in the nation. Not many states will have 65mph in urban areas and try going back to the midwest where rural freeways are 65mph.

Just my .02! :huh

She was parked at the light, I did feel bad about it afterwards, but I don't think she'll cut me off again. I think one of the reasons for the unattentive drivers is the amount of space on the roads and shoulders. Driving on the east coast, older cities and roads and tight bridges made you drive really focused. Potholes and construction often made for tight clearances between lanes. In AZ all you see is big lanes and open spaces and I don't think people pay as much attention in general to other traffic.

I've been (am sure all of us have) in similar position where I have no idea what some moron is cursing me for and weaving around me in order to squeeze in between me and the other traffic which is regretably "in slow flight formation".

Ejecting objects from moving vehicles...not a good idea. Even foam cups have been known to take out boats, aircraft, and I imagine a few windsheilds.

My $.o2 -

if everyone would use the left lane only for passing (a la the autobahn) not cruising, and let the chronically late go as fast as they wanted, as they passed those of us who are reasonably on time and trying to remain within the limits of the law (or gently press the edge of the envelope), one thing would happen for sure. The wreckless idiots would be easier to spot for LE, and i think most of the serious accidents would wind up in the median, as that would be the only out for an "oh sh!!t" traveling at 95 MPH past the legal traffic. (ok, that's 2 things) AZ. is also one of the few states that will give you 10 MPH over the posted limit anyway, most of the time. You'll get warnings for 5 over in VA, and depending on the area - tickets for >1 MPH...yea, I know Va. is outside the continental US, anyway. I guess I should also point out there's always LE around in VA.

The conflict occurs when someone is cruising in the left lane because they stubbornly think it is their right to do so, even tough there are several cars behind who would like to pass.

Sure we all like to be out in front, and I'm not above taking advantage of performance to "distance myself from the unwashed masses" when it's safe to do so. I'm also certainly not above a little fun, but lurking in the back of my head is a lot of pilot training which is dependant on 2 major things - safety and keeping your head together, not to mention any violations I get written up for I have to report to the FAA within 30 days. (ok 3 things) Couple of serious violations and bye-bye career!

The bottom line...when you have a lot to risk, you are more likely to think first and prepare accordingly, and second if you're late and in a hurry not only are you more likely to screw up - the rest of the world doesn't know (think?) they're supposed to get out your way.

I suppose I may catch some flak for this one...but road rage is a real pet peeve of mine because it's such a senseless act. People get hurt and /or killed, property gets damaged and mostly because someone is in a hurry, not thinking ahead (or too far perhaps), and not in control of their emotions.

On that note, I have to say all of the 'vette (DeLoreans, and others too) friends I have out there are certainly of higher caliber than the "unwashed masses" I speak of, and mostly because we all have more at risk...e.g. we really treasure our cars and our lives.

I say let the wackos fly around me if they're in such a rush - I love seeing them a mile or so later getting their "green stamps" at the blue light special. I save my fun for an opportunity when I have safety on my side and better situational control, not to make an aggressive assault against a generally law abiding public.

Sorry for the rant, I just hate hearing about this stuff on the news - like the incident on the 60 weeks ago.

Safe New year to you all!

Michael

3,503 lbs of trouble
Sure we all like to be out in front, and I'm not above taking advantage of performance to "distance myself from the unwashed masses" when it's safe to do so. I'm also certainly not above a little fun, but lurking in the back of my head is a lot of pilot training which is dependant on 2 major things - safety and keeping your head together, not to mention any violations I get written up for I have to report to the FAA within 30 days. (ok 3 things) Couple of serious violations and bye-bye career!

I don't seem to remember that one! Newer F.A.R.? Then again, I was not going for a commercial, so perhaps that's why I didn't know of that one.

Oh yes, Dan...1999, the FAA integrated their system with the National Drivers Registry (FAR 67.7). I can't remember the subpart #'s, but it basically says if you get a ticket, they'll know about it first and they give you 30 days to 'fess up! They also check you out when you apply for a Student / Medical Certificate!

Funny, trying to cram for CFI and memorizing all those FAR's and that's about the only one I can remember - hahha.

MH

Oh yes, Dan...1999, the FAA integrated their system with the National Drivers Registry (FAR 67.7). I can't remember the subpart #'s, but it basically says if you get a ticket, they'll know about it first and they give you 30 days to 'fess up!

It would seem to me that you'd be the only one with an excuse. Just tell the cop you weren't speeding, just flying low :D

Believe me, during my LE career I heard much worse!

Oh yes, Dan...1999, the FAA integrated their system with the National Drivers Registry (FAR 67.7). I can't remember the subpart #'s, but it basically says if you get a ticket, they'll know about it first and they give you 30 days to 'fess up! They also check you out when you apply for a Student / Medical Certificate!

Funny, trying to cram for CFI and memorizing all those FAR's and that's about the only one I can remember - hahha.

MH

...correctiion Dan,

It was 1990 when the program was implemented, 1986 when auditing began and 1988 when the results of the audits were addressed.

Originally it was begun to research pilots with multiple DWI/DUI violations and has since been expandded to other violations.

:flag

MH

DAMN, I tink I kiwl'd a twhead...

Guest AZ Power & Sound
Today about 2:30 my wife I were West bound on the 60 (in the Corvette) in the HOV lane and doing 74MPH. A guy in Gold Dodge Dakota extended cab came flying up behind me, I couldn?t get over because of traffic in the next lane but he pulled out and tried to pass anyway but no luck. Pulled back in behind me again and road my bumper for a mile or so, but I couldn?t speed up nor pull over due to traffic A little while later he pulled out and must have been doing 90+ weaving in and out of traffic and sped sway, or so I though. I lost track of him and continued on my many way. The next thing I new is he came along side tossed a full bottle of water at me then pulled in front, shot me the bird (his IQ) and hit his brakes two or three times causing me to hit mine and the ABS to come on. Don?t understand people and their rage. Anyway watch out for this guy if you?re on the 60. Just saw on TV a guy was shot and killed on the 60 today, makes you go HMMMMmmmmmm.

I get pretty pissed in traffic sometimes, but not enough to ever actually attempt to harm someone on the road... Good stereos are great for anger!

On a side note, I REALLY hope AZ grabs the left lane for passing only law that other states have now! Sucks when all 3 lanes on the 101 are going 5 under the limit and you cant get passed...

Guest AZ Power & Sound

MH

ive been out of flying for a couple years and forgot them all :( Oh well... when I get time to start my IFR I will have to come review with you guys!

On a side note, I REALLY hope AZ grabs the left lane for passing only law that other states have now! Sucks when all 3 lanes on the 101 are going 5 under the limit and you cant get passed...

:agree:agree:agree:agree:agree

3,503 lbs of trouble

The only time I ever see all three lanes on the 101 under the speed limit is while traffic is backed up, otherwise the average minimum speed is on the 101 is +20 MPH over the limit :willy especially in North Scottsdale!