NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Anybody know what this wire is for?

Guest Simpson36

Guest Simpson36

While under our 1982 Vette, I noticed an unconnected wire with an unusual connector just hanging under the car about a foot forward of the oxygen sensor. The sensor is hooked up so that's not where the wire goes. The mystery wire comes out of the chassis harness in the same place as the oxy wire and runs down with it until it terminates in a strange block like connector with a sort of spring clip.

There is nothing nearby that seems an obvious place this wire should connect to.

Anyone know what this is for?

Is is block of 4 or 2 on the connection? Check to make sure the wire to the transmission is hooked up. There should be a wire going to the transmission, drivers side, above the pan. If that is not hooked up you may not be getting torque converter lockup.

A picture may help, if possible.

Guest Simpson36

Thanks for the reply!

The converter locks up fine. The wire is a single conductor and is on the passenger side roughly at the back of the bell housing. The odd looking block connerctor (with a sort of spring clip retainer) is dangling just above the exhaust pipe . .

I nab't figure out what is was connected to becuase there is nothing within it's reach to connect it to . . . . quite a mystery. I'll get a picture and see if I can post it here.

The mystery wire in question could be a knock sensor wire, check the side of the engine block, the sensor screws into a water jacket and has an odd looking connector.

I know that on my 1980 I have found at least 2 mystery wires. One was up by the wires going to the A/C compressor. It was a single wire with a black plastic spring clip. NO ONE could tell me what the hell it was for. I think I found one other over near the area you are talking about as well.

I looked all around to where the wire could reach to see if they plugged in to anything. If they didn't then the wires got tucked and hidden away as best as possible.

• 4 weeks later...

never seen one like that. looks like it was a connector that pressed on to a stub or end of a sensor.

You might want to as over in C3 tech on the Corvette Forum.

Look right above the front end of the starter solenoid, there is a threaded stub sticking out of the block. That is the knock sensor. You squeeze the spring loaded connector, and slip it back on the stub.

Guest Simpson36

I would say "you da man" but "you da Dawg!" seems more appropriate!

Dawg to the rescue, once again!

Thanks, I'll check that out when the Vette gets home tonight.