NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

So.......just a little excited......

aenigma

I made the decision and took the plunge. The ole 98 vette is going to be chrome wrapped in a couple weeks. All you nay-sayers don't have to drive it, and if you choose to drive behind or in front of my coolness, make sure you wear your sunglasses.

Really I'm so excited. Since I got the vette, I had intentions of changing the color. I almost went camaro green but when I saw the chrome cars, I fell in love....deeply in love. I just had to make the decision to stop freaking out and make the confirmation call which I did today.

There is a brand new product that Avery invented 2 months ago. It's supposed to have more UV protection in it to make the chrome wrap last a lot longer than Avery's last product as well as all the other chrome wraps out there. The owner of the business doing the wrap is quite excited. He hasn't used the new product and gave me every negative possible about chrome wraps in general. Of course I don't listen. He's dying to see how it's going to last and has offered to keep it up for me. He wants to use it as a show piece for advertising. Yes..I received a discount for that :)

So I chose the targa to be wrapped in carbon fiber and the splitter, spoiler and side mirrors will be black. The rest will be chrome.

If it doesn't work out, the wrap comes off and I'm back to basic and boring white. Meanwhile, I'm going to live it up.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aenigma

• Desertdawg

• Ted Y

• ChadC

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ain't no doubt that it'll be unique! I actually liked teh look on last seasons ALMS GT2 Ferrari, so...

It should last for years and years.... since you leave it in your garage instead of attending ACE events :toetap

:lol

Will it be done in time for teh Gila Bend BBQ ? Can't wait to see it!!!

the mirrors are going to be a REAL BITCH. seriously

out of 5 people that have done a wrap on the mirrors have removed it in months.

as far as Chrome.

go for it!! it think it will look like Liquid Mercury in Motion.

Im excited for you.

the chrome scratches VERY VERY easily.

like a simple towel will etch it.

good luck.

It should last for years and years.... since you leave it in your garage instead of attending ACE events :toetap

:lol

Will it be done in time for teh Gila Bend BBQ ? Can't wait to see it!!!

Yes it will. He has a few other jobs so it'll be a couple weeks until he's ready. He said mine will take a full 3 days so I should be done just in time.

I know!!! I'm a slacker! I got off of this site, bailing on anything that caused me any joy whatsoever for awhile. I'm definitely coming to the barbeque. We're tired of living serious so it's time to start having some fun. I can say Marc is more than likely feeling the same way.

Life is good!

as far as Chrome.

Im excited for you.

good luck.

Yes, that's why I'm having the mirrors painted black instead of chrome, he told me that.

I scratched the chrome sample as hard as I could. It was very indented. Then the tiny tiny bubbles on the backside did their job and absorbed the air and evened it back out. It was cool. This new product is pretty neat.

I told you I don't listen. Damned tunnel vision. If it doesn't work, I'll go with camaro green next (paint).

as far as Chrome.

Im excited for you.

good luck.

Ohhh ok I see what I originally said. I'm having the mirrors and splitter PAINTED. The wrap guy told me no way should I attempt a wrap on either of those. I bottom out too much anyway on the splitter, I'd have that wrap all ripped up in no time.

..... How many accidents would this cause? I mean the sun reflecting all over... this should be video taped quite often.

..... How many accidents would this cause? I mean the sun reflecting all over... this should be video taped quite often.

I can imagine the next vette run. I'll look in my rear view mirror and see a bunch of vettes all piled up together.....BAHAHAHAHA

I'll bet Adam could CF hydrodip the mirrors and splitter.

That's a thought, but I'm sure the mirrors will be rough to remove. The splitter has to be removed for the wrap. Do you have his contact info? I hadn't even thought of that. I have a client in Phoenix who does the hydrodip as well. I've heard it doesn't last long, less time than the wrap does though.

I can imagine the next vette run. I'll look in my rear view mirror and see a bunch of vettes all piled up together.....BAHAHAHAHA

And this is why I will not be behind you :LolLol:

Good for you , life only comes around once.. And you can always redo it...... But it should be great.

Not so funny if we all tell the claims adjuster that our agent caused the pileup....

Good for you , life only comes around once.. And you can always redo it...... But it should be great.

I totally agree! Thank you.

And what makes you think we are going to let you get in front ????

Oh didn't I tell you? Putting chrome on a car makes it faster.....

Not so funny if we all tell the claims adjuster that our agent caused the pileup....
Omg that was so funny!! I almost choked

You go girl! Don't forget the stickers!!!! :boobies:

I already have a hash stripe waiting. Lol. Leaving the rest of the stickers off. The guy whos doing it asked me to lay off the stickers. Haha

I'll bet Adam could CF hydrodip the mirrors and splitter.

I've heard it doesn't last long, less time than the wrap does though.

Thanks Eddie!

Monique...I'm not sure where you heard that hydrographic imaging does not last very long but, whoever told you

that was not very informed. Hopefully that wasn't your contact that does it.

I personally use automotive grade acrylic urethane primers, base coats, and clears so, the process will SEVERLY

outlast ANY material that you're going to have your car wrapped in. The higher end vinyl wrap materials are rated

for approx. 7 years when kept indoors, out of the sunlight. I honestly don't know how the material being of the

chrome variety will last...longer or shorter time frame.

Being that I use the same materials that your car is painted with, the hydrographic process will last just as long

as a traditional paint job.

Please give me a call if you have any questions I can answer for you.

Adam

I can't wait to see what it looks like! I remember back in the late 90's when they first came out with the chrome

vinyl, and Darryl Waltrip wrapped his Nascar stock car in it. To say that had a look of impact is an understatement!

I hope it doesn't blind YOU driving it!

Very interesting........I will have to see it before I pass judgement. I will not be able to attend the BBQ so get pics for me. Darci says you must have watched the movie "The Host". I guess there is some cars in that movie that are chrome too.