NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

When it pours its a hurricane

shockwave

One of the worst days ever. I find out my biological father passed away this morning....and on top of that the harmonic balancer separated itself. Wtf. I'm going to blow this car up. So here is list of repairs so far that I have done. New pulleys... Check.... New serpentine belts... Check. Oil Chang .... Check... Now I have to replace the harmonic balancer.... Why you ask. Well, let's let the picture speak for itself.

Posted Image

So now I'm not so sure it was the ac that destroyed itself or at least is dead and found out why it died. I mean logic told me... Ac on + noise + cold/warm air = something wrong.... Ac off + no noise = normal.....er. Now there was no major wobble in the hb that would make me think it needed ASAP replacing. But I'll be damn. Now I'm thinking that when the ac was on it was making the hb rip more and more or something. All I know right now is damn damn damn damn , damn.

I need help, who local has a harmonic balancer in store that I can buy please.

Ouch. That's a really commom issue on the LS engines, hopefully it didn't back up and damage the timing cover (fingers crossed). FWIW an OEM piece will be sitting on the shelf which is what I went with. I had mine installed by LPM, bitch of a DIY job

Jim is right, harmonic balancer is a common problem with these cars. I had to do mine in the first month of owning it and she only had 45,000 miles on it at the time. I replaced it with an aftermarket solid piece. Had to order if off the internet though. I did do it myself, but it was a job and a half for a DIY'er. I would say that it is probably the culprit in destroying your A/C clutch though. I had to replace all of my idler and tensioner pulleys...all the bearings were shot. I think I got lucky that my A/C survived.

Guest badbobs95

David, All that car stuff is a bitch but nothing compared to loosing your father. Posted Image If anyone ever said life was fair, they were liars. These are things that we have to deal with unfortunately. Stay strong, you'll get through it. Posted Image

David, All that car stuff is a bitch but nothing compared to loosing your father. Posted Image If anyone ever said life was fair, they were liars. These are things that we have to deal with unfortunately. Stay strong, you'll get through it. Posted Image

:agree And if working on your car helps you get through the other issues and problems that life throws at you, then take that as a blessing.

Get ready to remove the rack to get to it. Get the ARP Crank Bolt as you can not reuse the stock one its a TTY bolt. I had the same issue pics of it are around here somewhere. I also went with an Aftermarket underdrive replacement. Less issues to worry about.

Yea, losing your father is the real bitch, sorry to hear that bud. Were you close?

Do you want to spend a little or get a better product for a premium? I got the ASP I believe it is and I have never had an issue. Its 25% Underdrive though so the AC is not always the coldest at idle sometimes. I did find a few complaints of belt's coming off and people saying the PowerD...? was better but I have had no issues and I just found the right size belt by trying a few at the parts store out. Reminds me I have to finish something in regards to that.

Finally decided on powerbond harmonic balancer and had tons of great reviews for the price. Found a bundle deal for 234.xx after tax and shipping. Came with both new shorter belts and the new high strength bolt.

Finally decided on powerbond harmonic balancer and had tons of great reviews for the price. Found a bundle deal for 234.xx after tax and shipping. Came with both new shorter belts and the new high strength bolt.

Now I think that is the one I have. Power Bond sounds VERY familiar. Mine is great.

Just keep in mind that everything is turning slower...especially while at idle.