A/C croaked. Shit!

scottcolbath

scottcolbath

It made a couple of odd noises over the last couple of weeks when turning it on. I was suspicious. Then today I turned it on with no noises and left work. I hit the gas and all of the sudden I hear this whirring sound and I knew right away it was bad news.

I assume it's the compressor's bearings or clutch. Amazon has a nice kit (likely made in China though) for $170. It comers with all new O ring seals, compressor, that little filter thing, oil and an accumulator. I'll be grabbing this kit and installing some time soon. The job doesn't appear to be a horror story, but it's a bit of time and work. I'll toss a water pump and hoses in there while I'm at it, since it has to come out for the A/C install, and I also noticed a couple of drops under the car on occasion, dead center.

S.C.

scottcolbath

Oh yeah. Since the pulley bearings are holding up splendidly on the truck (remember that thing I did?), I'll check them on the Vette and do the same there.

S.C.

For $170, it's definitely from the land of really cheap shit. Me and @Azmotorhead, well... mostly Phil, did this on my C5. If it shit itself and spewed crap into the system, it might be wise to replace the condenser too. Definitely flush the system! And you forgot to say, oriface tube. Heeehehehahe </Beavis>

Sending luck!!

scottcolbath
11 hours ago, theChad said:

For $170, it's definitely from the land of really cheap shit. Me and @Azmotorhead, well... mostly Phil, did this on my C5. If it shit itself and spewed crap into the system, it might be wise to replace the condenser too. Definitely flush the system! And you forgot to say, oriface tube. Heeehehehahe </Beavis>

Sending luck!!

Seeing how my A/C gets used very little, I'll take my chances, unless I can find a good used OEM compressor.

I do have the name of a guy/shop in Phoenix that rebuilds OEM units. I tried calling today, but no answer.

That kit in the link comes with an orifice tube, and I will surely flush it all out. I need to find a flush kit/tool as well.

S.C.